Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Got Trails?
Joined
·
680 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am going to upgrade the for mentioned parts in the next few weeks to a couple months (cant take a big hit & do them all at once, especially after the new fork). Right now I have Hayes IH2 disc & shimano trigger shifters & levers. What would be a reasonable & affordable all around trail upgrade for these components. I am not trying to break the bank just boost perfromance a little.
I see so many options I am pretty lost.

Most of my riding is rough terrian, the normal rock gardens, decents, hills, roots, stumps & singletrack. No big jumps although I do like the occasional 1-3' drop.

Thanks:thumbsup:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
954 Posts
What kind of brakes come with the bike? I would choose that over the shifters for overall performance. Shifters are more of a convenience to me(smoother shifting), versus brakes that can dramatically affect the way you ride (more power/modulation = more confidence).
 

·
Got Trails?
Joined
·
680 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
MonkeyBidnezz said:
What kind of brakes come with the bike? I would choose that over the shifters for overall performance. Shifters are more of a convenience to me(smoother shifting), versus brakes that can dramatically affect the way you ride (more power/modulation = more confidence).
I have the Hayes IH2 disc brakes, they are OEM on the Ironhorse I have.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7 Posts
You could buy a set of Avid FR-5 Brake Levers at Jensonusa.com for $13, and
Shimano XT SL-M751 Rapidfire Shifters $63. If you want a combo, buy Shimano XT ST-M760 Lever for $73. You can also look for Shimano Deore shifters, which are cheaper than the XT. For the best mechanical brakes, I prefer the Avid BB7. Blueskycycling.com sell 2007 160mm version for $69 each.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
2,317 Posts
If you're looking for reasonably decent and cheap, look for some BB7s on ebay or maybe some HFX-9s. The feel of the HFX is a little bit wooden, but I've had good luck with them, as have most of the people I ride with. Worth a try anyway.

For shifters, either stick with shimano and pick up some LXs cheap or move to sram X.7 (this years X.7 is the same as last years X.9).
 

·
Got Trails?
Joined
·
680 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
For awhile I was tossed up between what to get first. The shifters, levers or brakes. Well my mind was made up for me. I sell alot on ebay so I check out the auctions once & awhile & I found Speed dial 7 levers for $16 shipped (got those) & I might get some bb5's for $74+ 12 for shipping. I will worry about the shifters later as the shimano's I have are decent.:thumbsup:
 

·
Got Trails?
Joined
·
680 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
robdamanii said:
Good deal! The BB7s are probably the best mechanical brakes on the market, so you'll really be happy with those if you go with them. Lots of adjustment and lots of power for mechanicals.
I just lost those, so I may end up trying the bb5's. Are they similar or is there a vast difference.
I changed my last post to show the price of those which is $74+$12 for shipping.
 

·
Got Trails?
Joined
·
680 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
robdamanii said:
Well, the BB5's have a different pad, and they lose one of the adjustment knobs. I'd definitely hold out for a set of the BB7s. The BB5 is more of an OEM brake.
Most likely will wait for the bb7's. I have a few things selling on ebay today so when they get paid for I may just spring for the bb7's. There are a lot of good deals on them, $133 w/free shipping:thumbsup:
Question though, Like I mentioned I want to upgrade shifters aswell, which is better to upgrade first the shifters or brakes. I am having a hard time deciding?:madman: :D
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
2,317 Posts
Well, unless you're going for a really massive shifter upgrade (I'm guessing you're using deore shifters now?) to XT or XTR, I'd go with the brakes. I always found that I could deal with sub-par shifting (before I went to the real high end SRAM stuff) but I couldn't deal with poor braking performance. I'd go with the brakes first and keep an eye out for some good shifters for cheap.
 

·
Got Trails?
Joined
·
680 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
robdamanii said:
Well, unless you're going for a really massive shifter upgrade (I'm guessing you're using deore shifters now?) to XT or XTR, I'd go with the brakes. I always found that I could deal with sub-par shifting (before I went to the real high end SRAM stuff) but I couldn't deal with poor braking performance. I'd go with the brakes first and keep an eye out for some good shifters for cheap.
Nice way of looking at it, since my current brakes are below sub par.:thumbsup:
 

·
Got Trails?
Joined
·
680 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
the only other thing I am not 100% on is brake rotor size. I cirrently have 160mm which seems fine but the avids have everything from 160-203.
 

·
Got Trails?
Joined
·
680 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
robdamanii said:
Not a problem at all. You still interesting in riding stewart some time?
Allways interested inriding stewart. I cant get enough of that place.

Oh yeah I just won 160mm BB7's for $133 shipped to me. Not to bad. Better then lbs & better then the best prices at Jensons or Pricepoint.:thumbsup:
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
2,317 Posts
ironbike1 said:
Allways interested inriding stewart. I cant get enough of that place.

Oh yeah I just won 160mm BB7's for $133 shipped to me. Not to bad. Better then lbs & better then the best prices at Jensons or Pricepoint.:thumbsup:
You need a guide or are you familiar with the area?
 
1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top