Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Well I'm new to these forums so let me know if I should post this thread under a different section.
My current bike is a 23" Schwinn Moab 3 (I think its the year 2000 model got it in 2006). My dad liked it because the frame was so big. He figured I would never outgrow it and then he wouldn't have to buy me another bike. I'm 6'1" but only 16 so I might grow a bit more. My only complaint about the bike is the big size. I wish it was 21" or something because I don't have a whole lot of standover clearance.

Anyways it came with Shimano LX rear derailleur and I'm guessing a matching cassette. The front derailleur is only Acera which kinda sucks, and I'm not sure about the crank. To round it off is a RockShox Judy XC fork.

I want to upgrade the front derailleur which is really annoying. When I shift it will grind and take a long time to switch. Sometimes it won't shift and it always takes a lot of work. I want to upgrade to a Shimano XT derailleur. I've know I have top pull and I'm pretty sure I need top swing. Is there something else I need to be aware of?

Additionally I would like to upgrade the fork and I was looking at something like the RockShox Tora 318 U-Turn. What do you guys think? I don't really want to spend more then $300 on a fork.
What should I upgrade? I have plenty of money saved, but I don't want to spend too much cause I don't ride to much. The more I ride it the more I am willing to spend to upgrade.
Camouflage Synthetic rubber Automotive engine part Bicycle chain Steel

Bicycle wheel rim Bicycle tire Bicycle part Bicycle Spoke

Bicycle part Bicycle accessory Bicycle Spoke Crankset

Bicycle tire Bicycle frame Wheel Bicycle wheel Tire

Tire Wheel Bicycle tire Bicycle wheel rim Bicycle wheel

·
Registered
1,878 Posts
dont spend a bunch of money on a bike that doesnt fit you well. upgrading components gets expensive. you'd be better off buying a new bike. check out rscycle.com or bikesdirect.com they have some good deals on complete bikes.

as for your front derailleur just get an LX one, they are just as good as XT but cost less. sounds like your current shifter might just need to be adjusted. before you go out and buy a part you might not need check this out http://parktool.com/repair/readhowto.asp?id=75. if you're still using the original shifter cables that came on your bike then i would buy new cables, new cables would probable make a big improvement in your shifting.

·
Registered
566 Posts
InvictaS1 said:
as for your front derailleur just get an LX one, they are just as good as XT but cost less. sounds like your current shifter might just need to be adjusted. before you go out and buy a part you might not need check this out http://parktool.com/repair/readhowto.asp?id=75. if you're still using the original shifter cables that came on your bike then i would buy new cables, new cables would probable make a big improvement in your shifting.
X2, adjust first! Besides, how often are you shifting in the front anyway?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well I started to adjust the front derailleur using the park tools guide. It was working pretty well and I even got it to shift more fluidly, but then I accidentally loosened the cable pinch bolt which screwed everything up. Now I have a cable tension problem (I asume) and it won't shift between all the gears. It might go from one to 2 but not to 3 or it might go from 1-2-3 but skip back down from 3 to 1. It sucks. I think at this point I am just going to take it to a bike shop.

If I were to get a new bike, I would get a Jamis Dragon. I like steel frames, my road bike is a steel frame and it is a very nice ride.

·
Weekend Warrior
1,078 Posts
Scrap the bike and buy a new one. If you got $300 saved up for a fork, you should dump another $200 into it and you can get something like a Rockhopper from Specialized with some decent components and IN YOUR SIZE.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Oh if I am getting a new bike then my budget is around $1200. First I want to take it to a bike shop and have them tell me if its the right size. I don't care if they say no so they can sell me a bike because I wouldn't buy a bike right off the bat anyways.

·
Registered
81 Posts
$1200! You can easily get yourself a top-of-the-line hardtail or even a descent FS bike for that. I'd take the money and shop around for a new bike before I pour the money into your old bike.

I could understand if you took a little bit of that money and make some repairs on your Moab just so its working good, but to pour $1200 into it is not something I'd do.

I'd love to have that kind of money to go shoping with right now. I'd even recommend checking out used FS bikes. You can probably get a nice deal.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I went to a local bike shop and they just happened to have the Jamis Dragon 29er in a 19 inch frame. It fits me great and boy what a beautiful bike! Yeah my 23" bike is too big for me. Its got full XT and that Reynolds 853 steel frame. It's a much better bike then I am a rider but I love it. Now I understand that those kids in books and movies who just have to have a bike and work so hard to get it! The only problem is it's $1985 and I don't have that much. Is it worth getting a 29er or should I stick with 26" weels?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
build a bike

So I think I am going to build a bike. I like the Nashbar 853 frame, and the xt build kit(customized to get full xt parts except for brakes) from jensonusa. I am flip flopping back and forth between disk brakes and rim brakes. If I do rim brakes I could save $80 and possibly more if I can reuse my current wheels. My current rear wheel has an 8 speed cassette on it, would their be room to upgrade it to nine speed or would I have to get new wheels? If I need to get new wheel then I lean towards disk brakes (Avid BB7, don't need hydros). I also like the RockShox Tora 318 Uturn. This comes roughly to $1300 which leaves a little room for tools or pedals.

·
Registered
1,878 Posts
just but a complete bike and you'll save yourself a lot of money and the headache of building up the bike yourself. The Jamis Dakota 29 has a msrp of $1375, and the components on that bike are pretty darn nice. there are plenty of really nice bikes out that are well within your budget.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.