Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I don't know why but I want to change my Heckler it is a great bike but I think I want some VPP action. My Heckler is a medium and set up with strong wheels 36 Float forks set to 140 and a chain device with a 34 ring. I use this bike from XC ride to thrashing it on the DH tracks.
I was thinking that the Nomad would be a good upgrade and would be good on the down hills but the more I look at it it seams to be a bike that doesn't really have and sole use. The Blur LT looks like it could be a really good fun bike but will it take the sort of abuse that the Nomad will?
This is a list of the pros and cons I can see with the two bike. I think that I might also move up to a large frame

Nomad Pros:

Slacker head angle.

Designed to take a chain device.

160mm will be good for down hill use.

I would be confident that it would take a bit of abuse.

I feel I would be using it for its intended use

Better Tyre clearance

The large size is 18.5”.

Nomad Cons:

Tall front end (internal reducer cups top and bottom might help).

I would have to run the forks at 160 (tall front end problem).

It might not be as good on the XC.

The bike might feel slower due to its extra travel and design .

You can not buy the frame with the shock I want. I feel that the Fox RP23 is a really versatile shock if I was to buy a Nomad I would probably get it with the Monarch and then buy a Fox Vanilla R shock and swap them around depending on the riding I am doing.

Higher shock ratio.

Blur LT Pros:

Same geometry as the Heckler

It would work well for XC rides.

I could still run the forks at 140 to keep the low front end with the option to put them up to 160 to slacken the head angle.

140mm would be fun on the down hills

You can buy the bike with a Fox RP23

lower shock ratio.

Blur LT Cons:

Is it up to the same abuse as the Nomad on a down hill section would I be wishing I should have brought a nomad.

I feel that I might sometimes be using the bike for what it wasn't designed to do (even though it might be capable of it)

19” frame might feel a bit large (I have always had medium bike that I feel are more chuckable)

It is not designed to take a chain device even though I think one would fit and I have offered a LG1+ up to a new frame. In the wide position will a bit of the back cut away it looks like it will fit but it would still be rotated to far back.

So there you go and after listing all that I still don't know. Perhaps I should just stick with the Heckler. I think what I am after is a new Blur 4X but I don't know if that will ever happen.
I feel that the Nomad will be a competent bike it any situation. Then the Blur LT would be really good on the XC and then on the downhill it would be like the underdog that turns up at a pro race and blows the big bikes away (if you know what I mean).

If any of you have got any experience on the two bikes for the use I want I would really appreciate your thought.

Cheers
Tom

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
I know that we sometimes feel the urge to upgrade.

You should ask yourself what exactly you DON´T like about your Heckler and what you DO like about it.

I think that you probably wouldn´t gain much going to a Blur LT. Yeah, the suspension works a bit different, but it´s the same GREAT geometry.

I really think the Heckler is a stellar bike, which model do you have btw.?

New curvy one or the older one?

Maybe you could also get your shock pushed or some new blingy parts. Could be cheaper and as much fun.

Upgrading to a Nomad might be a better move, because there´s more difference between it and the Heckler. It might be too much bike though, that really depends.

Greetings Znarf

·
Registered
298 Posts
just a note on sizing: Large Nomad has longer top tube and longer wheelbase than Large Blur LT, seat tube lenght is not that important. But put an 160mm fork on Blur and you end up with quite similar bikes.
I'm having the same dilema, but more I read about both bikes, the more I'm inclined towards Blur with slightly burlier build and 160mm fork.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Zanrf cheers for your thoughts. Its a 09 Heckler I have got a RP23 shock tuned up on it and it dose work well. If I am honest probably 80% of the reason to change is because I want something new. I blam the industry for always coming out with good stuff :D
The other 20% is because I really like how the pivots and hardware is put together on the Nomad and Blur LT. I also think it would be less maintenance even though there are more bearings in the other two bike, I am always taking the swing arm off the Heckler and re grease the bearings to keep them running smooth. I really like the idea of the grease ports.
I am also using the Heckler for more gravity feed stuff, but still like to clock some miles up as well. So that's why I am thinking about the nomad, but I also like thrashing around on a hard tail so that why I think the shorter travel Blur LT would be better.

smilinsteve, I would be selling the Heckler to fund the new frame. That's also some of the thinking to get a new frame as currently the frame is in a very good condition and I would be able to get a good price on it.

·
Registered
8,605 Posts
After you sell your frame you would probably need to throw in another 1k to buy your new frame, right? Another option would be to buy a good used Blur XC and you would have 2 bikes, an AM and an XC, and you would have a VPP bike, and it would cost around the same as having one brand new nomad...

·
Registered
43 Posts
Hi Razzer, I was browsing through the interweb with the exact same intent as you, replacing my Heckler with something lije the Blur LT :)

I feel the same way about the Heckler, I have a 03 where I have switched out the old 5th coil shock to a Monarch 4.1. Not really as fun, but lighter. I use it for xc and downhill sometimes, done a few local DH-racing on it.

If you own a full on DH-bike go for the Blur LT, if you don´t then I would still recomend the BLT. Because you will probably buy a downhill bike sooner than later, and then you don´t want a nomad that is to similar. Furthermore, I would say the nomad would be unnecessarily heavy to ride XC. I also wouldn´t worry about abusing the BLT on downhill, it will probably hold for more than you will choose to do on such a bike anyway.

I am right now interested in the BLT or a Turner dw 5-Spot.

PS: my main reason for getting a new frame is also to try something else.

B

·
0 Posts
Razzer said:
Zanrf cheers for your thoughts. Its a 09 Heckler I have got a RP23 shock tuned up on it and it dose work well. If I am honest probably 80% of the reason to change is because I want something new. I blam the industry for always coming out with good stuff :D
The other 20% is because I really like how the pivots and hardware is put together on the Nomad and Blur LT. I also think it would be less maintenance even though there are more bearings in the other two bike, I am always taking the swing arm off the Heckler and re grease the bearings to keep them running smooth. I really like the idea of the grease ports.
I am also using the Heckler for more gravity feed stuff, but still like to clock some miles up as well. So that's why I am thinking about the nomad, but I also like thrashing around on a hard tail so that why I think the shorter travel Blur LT would be better.

smilinsteve, I would be selling the Heckler to fund the new frame. That's also some of the thinking to get a new frame as currently the frame is in a very good condition and I would be able to get a good price on it.
I sure know about upgrade-itis. I wish you could keep your Heckler frame and just store it away (but it's a financial decision I'm sure). All I know is that I built up a Heckler (last generation), then later built up a Nomad (last generation) (due to upgrade-itis for the stable). For most of the riding I do, the Heckler is waay plenty enough. My Nomad hangs in the garage more than my Heckler, as Nomad is a bit too much for my general all-mountain jaunts.

Good luck on your decision.

·
Registered
712 Posts
Put the same build kit and 160 fork on both frames and the weight difference is tiny, but the Nomad is way more fun and feels 'right'. It just boils down to what fork you would run on the BLT2, because you can't use a 140 on the Nomad.

·
Registered
80 Posts
I think that the key is in your preferences

If you prefer climb -> Get the LT2 with RP23BV2010, because the shorters chainstay and the larger top tube.

If you prefer funny donwhill -> Get the Nomad2. And If you could get an RP23 BV 2010 to the Nomad2 and you'll have a similiar weight and behaviour to LT2.

Allways put a Lyrik U-Turn 2010 (2,45 kg but) and you could control the High front and the head angle.

·
Registered
381 Posts
The Blur LT is basically a VPP Heckler so you get the same bike that climbs better. The Nomad is for when you want to go bigger. If you are happy with a 140mm fork on the Heckler I wouldn't bother with a Nomad. If you are running an air shock on the Heckler then that is another sign that the Nomad would be too much bike. Saying all that the Nomad is a fantastic AM/XC bike. I had mine built up to 31lbs so it wasn't too heavy for longer rides.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
It looks like there are good reasons to get either frame. I have had downhill bikes for years but a few years ago I started to have more all round bikes and I don't think I would ever have another downhill bike as you can do so much more on a bike like the Heckler I have got at the moment. I also like the fact of just having the one bike so that you can spend the morning doing some XC then go to a downhill tack and rip it up on the same bike.
I think I am perhaps leading more towards the Nomad as my heckler started out with a double ring on it and fox 32 forks. Now I have got it set up with a chain device and 36 forks and that set up really suits my riding style.
The Nomad has only got 10mm more travel which is nothing and it sounds like it dose climb well and I certainty climb to see how fast I can come back down. but I also like the bike to be fast and fun on the single track and that were the Blur LT could win. Its only got 10mm less travel than the Heckler :madman:
I think that by the sound of it it wouldn't be worth upgrading to the Blur LT as it is very similar to the Heckler and since I have had the shock tuned when I flick the pro pedal it climbs well and then I just flick it off for the downhills.
I think I am going to find a large Nomad to demo and if it is just as fun on the single track I will go for one, but also see if I can buy it with a 2010 RP23 (i think the RP23 is such a versatile shock and it doesn't hold you back on the downhills at all)
There is also the thought of keep the Heckler and wait to see if they bring out a new Blur 4X :D

·
Registered
80 Posts
The main reason to climb better between the LT2 and the Nomad2 is the rider!!!

After that, the tires are another important variable. I run Minion DHF 2.35 Supertacky on front and Rubber Queen 2.2 tubeless on rear. They are for the funny DH -> Nomad2. If you prefer to mount Nevegals 2.1 -> get the LT2. Why? Because you get a better bike for climb, but not for 20 mm less in the suspension, no, because the geometry and the feeling on the bike.

Furthermore, the Nomad2 is a very flicklable bike for the single track... (More than Nomad1) and more if you put a Lyrik U-turn 2010 and leave in 140 mm... you get 68º on HA.

With the Nomad2 you always get a more stable feeling in DH, and with the LT2 you always get a better feeling climbing.

Luck with your decision.

·
Registered
462 Posts
I too come from riding a Heckler, and decided to go with a Blur LT1. The geometry is the same, but what a difference the VPP makes! the LT climbs better, and feels more stable in the tricky stuff. Maybe having an rp23 helps, as when it's time to head downhill, I just flip the lever and the bike behaves almost like the Heckler. Bottom line:
Heckler is more fun going downhill, but it's slower and heavier going up. Blur LT is lighter, feels more like an all around ride, with a way better suspension that goes up much easier and still holds its own in the downhill.
That said, I'm really tempted to upgrade to an LT2, mainly because it would mean more standover (I'm 5'6") I looked into a Nomad, but I like to "earn the downhill" so to speak ( I like to ride the bike up the mountain, and then ride down)
Just my two cents.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts