Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 48 Posts

· Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I want to get into riding. I’m 6’4” and 350 lbs down from 390. I loved riding bikes as a kid and want to again for exercise and a hobby. I’ve looked online tons for what might be a good bike, but still have no real clue. I don’t think suspension will work for me not strong enough maybe. Every search says a mongoose dolomite but it’s too small for me. My legs aren’t long I only wear a 32 length pant. So short legs long torso. I like the fat bikes they look sturdy. I live about an hour from Boone NC and have some really nice trails around my house I would like to get out and see them. Any suggestions would be appreciated.
thanks

· Registered
93 Posts
You're not too big to find a bike that will work for you, but it will need to be a sturdy one. A hardtail with a very solid fork is probably a good start, maybe one of the "progressive" hardtails like the Kona Honzo. Depending on how you fast want to go you may also need an extra strong wheelset.

· Registered
Santacruz HT CC XXL
239 Posts
Not at all. Most bikes are way stonger than one would think. As previous post said I'd go with hardtail and a front fork. I don't have any experience with fat tire bikes. I think key is get on something thats comfortable and start out on trails that aren't too hard/discouraging. And remember if you're just getting started what may seem hard and suck at first will get easier and more enjoyable with each ride.

· Premium Member
110 Posts
The article you shared has lower end budget bikes. That said, a definition of lower end budget will be personal. What’s your price range?

In 2017 I wrote this blog post https://gdharries.com/journal/ideal-big-guy-mountain-bike that may interest you. Here’s another one https://gdharries.com/journal/review-norco-torrent.

Times have changed with price and availability, but I maintain a proper big person bike has these features:
  • A beefy yet still reasonably lightweight aluminum hardtail frame.
  • A sturdy yet plush suspension fork with wide stanchions and thru-axles.
  • Wide rims with fat plus-size tires. Something in the 2.8" or 3" wide range to support and spread out the weight.
  • Tough, but still well-priced and plenty light cockpit components. A good example is Race Face's line of Chester components for stem, cranks, handlebar, seatpost and pedals.
  • Your pick of Shimano or SRAM mid-level drivetrain and braking bits.
Geof

· Registered
222 Posts
I want to get into riding. I’m 6’4” and 350 lbs down from 390. I loved riding bikes as a kid and want to again for exercise and a hobby. I’ve looked online tons for what might be a good bike, but still have no real clue. I don’t think suspension will work for me not strong enough maybe. Every search says a mongoose dolomite but it’s too small for me. My legs aren’t long I only wear a 32 length pant. So short legs long torso. I like the fat bikes they look sturdy. I live about an hour from Boone NC and have some really nice trails around my house I would like to get out and see them. Any suggestions would be appreciated.
thanks
My man get out there! Years ago i was in the same boat as you! Don't be afraid the MTB community is a great group of people! Find a good quality shop and see what they have to offer. Im a clyde and crush the things i do!!
Feel free to message me and i will gladly help you in your search and figuring it out.
~Mongo

· Registered
Santacruz HT CC XXL
239 Posts
thanks
What direction from Boone? I could potentially put you on one of my old bikes at least for starting. I'm North Asheville.

· Registered
309 Posts

If you want to lose weight you have to cut calories. You may want to look into myfitnesspal app.

I don't think cutting calories is the answer. Its cutting sugar and carbs. Cutting calories only works for the short term. Plus never go low/no fat foods......too much sugar. Best way to lose weight is to tap into your fat reserves. But if you eat too much carbs and sugar. It wont happen so easily. Cuz your body has too much carbs for fuel, so it doesnt use your fat reserves. Deprive eating carbs. Eat whole foods. I eat meat and veggies. Guaranty to lose weight and get healthy.

89 Posts
I don't think cutting calories is the answer. Its cutting sugar and carbs. Cutting calories only works for the short term. Plus never go low/no fat foods......too much sugar. Best way to lose weight is to tap into your fat reserves. But if you eat too much carbs and sugar. It wont happen so easily. Cuz your body has too much carbs for fuel, so it doesnt use your fat reserves. Deprive eating carbs. Eat whole foods. I eat meat and veggies. Guaranty to lose weight and get healthy.

cutting calories is not short term.

· Registered
379 Posts
As some one that's been struggling to loose weight, especially since the pandemic...

The idea of cutting calories to loose weight... just a reminder that second law of thermodynamics does not account for endocrine system (homeostasis).

My doctor once told me that loosing weight was harder than quitting drugs... He explained no one needs drugs to live, but we all do need food, which is everywhere and pushed so hard onto us. The most profitable foods are the most unhealthy. Here in the US we are bombarded by food ads equating happiness with food.

89 Posts
As some one that's been struggling to loose weight, especially since the pandemic...

The idea of cutting calories to loose weight... just a reminder that second law of thermodynamics does not account for endocrine system (homeostasis).

My doctor once told me that loosing weight was harder than quitting drugs... He explained no one needs drugs to live, but we all do need food, which is everywhere and pushed so hard onto us. The most profitable foods are the most unhealthy. Here in the US we are bombarded by food ads equating happiness with food.
That is very true that is where the term food addicts come from. But it is not impossible to lose weight. I think it is comical that people have used the Pandemic as a excuse for weight gain. Five years ago I weighed 295 lbs. I took personal accountability and started to macro and keep track of what I was eating.

Before the pandemic I weighed 195 lbs and was in a size 34” waist size. I started to weight train and stayed my current weight but in a 32” waist size pants. My wife has pcos which it makes it harder for her to loose weight. But she also has lost weight during the pandemic. She has went down two dress sizes in the last two years.

· Registered
528 Posts
I'd look for a used Surly Long Haul Trucker, Troll, Karate Monkey or Ogre. Even a Krampus, but (at least some of) the complete LHT and Troll models came with 36 spoke wheels, and were designed for loads up around 350 lbs. The LHT is basically an 80s MTB, so you can run them with flat bars as an MTB.

Both LHT and Troll are discontinued and new Surly bikes are all but impossible to find at dealers right now, though. I'd look on the Facebook Salsa and Surly Trader and Surly Bicycle Trader groups, as well as on Craigslist.

Basically any cromolly steel touring bike or mountain bike would do. Look for Surly, Kona Sutra/Unit & Unit X, Trek 520, Fuji Touring etc. You could set most of those up like an MTB as well, if you're set on a mountain bike. Look for a steel frame, wheels with 36 spokes and rigid forks.

You can always buy a cheaper second hand bike, and ride it for fitness while eating better. Ride that thing like you stole it and work out where you like to ride (trails, gravel roads, bike paths, roads etc). Do research on sites like this, while you gain riding experience and narrow down what bike you want to ride in the future. By the time you've been through all that, there may be new bikes available in stores again.

· Older than I feel
1,908 Posts
I'd look for a used Surly Long Haul Trucker, Troll, Karate Monkey or Ogre. Even a Krampus, but the complete LHT and Troll models came with 36 spoke wheels, and were designed for loads up around 350 lbs. The LHT is basically an 80s MTB, so you can run them with flat bars as an MTB.

Both LHT and Troll are discontinued and new Surly bikes are all but impossible to find at dealers right now, though. I'd look on the Facebook Salsa and Surly Trader and Surly Bicycle Trader groups, as well as on Craigslist.
The LHT may be discontinued, but the Disc Trucker is available (well, as available as any new bike is these days), and with the upgrade to thru-axles and updated geometry is probably better suited to big folk than the original. I have an LHT I bought new years ago as a commute bike and general purpose road ride. It occasionally sees some dirt, but I don't do any serious off-roading on it. A solid choice for an all-around bike.

· Registered
29 Posts
I was your size when I started, I got a Specialized Fuse Expert 29, and it worked great for me at 350. Just don't go high flying off any big jumps, but I did some 2-3ft Drops just fine on it. I am getting ready to order my first FS bike now as well... Honestly though, don't cheap out on a bike for a big rider. The Beefier ones cost more, and parts that can withstand our force cost more, so buy one and cry once :). The most important thing is to get out there and ride whatever you get.

1 - 20 of 48 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.