Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey

I want to make my bike a 7 speed, and only run on the middle chainring, I want to get rid of front shifter and derailer . Not sure how to go about it.

My bike is a haro v1 , the front shifter and brake lever are connected, so i assume i need a new front brake shifter.

Basicly i want to keep it on the middle chain ring and have the rear gears, but get rid of the front shifter so i cant change front chainring , and have the chain run on the middle chainring the whole time.

So i need new front brake lever, do i need new cranks ? Can i just take off the front derailer and leave it like that ?

any help would be appreciated
 

·
.......
Joined
·
3,707 Posts
Eh, this is a singlespeed forum. You need to head over to drivetrain or general discussion.

But short answer---you should get a singlespeed front ring with no ramps, a chain retention piece (like e-13), and a new brake lever. But why you'd want to do this, I don't know. You save nearly zero weight and you just lost some top and bottom end speeds.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
TY

But your last statement confuses me . With a singlespeed u have no top or bottem end speed . And i dont think the weight with either is that large.
I just never use any gear but the middle ring.

TY for your reply
 

·
Out spokin'
In cog? Neato!
Joined
·
14,543 Posts
p nut said:
Eh, this is a singlespeed forum. You need to head over to drivetrain or general discussion.

But short answer---you should get a singlespeed front ring with no ramps, a chain retention piece (like e-13), and a new brake lever. But why you'd want to do this, I don't know. You save nearly zero weight and you just lost some top and bottom end speeds.
Brutha p nut,

I can't believe my eyes. Well, yes I can. Being a dedicated SSer, maybe you're not schooled in the advantages of 1x? drivetrains compared to traditional 3x? drivetrains. Respect.

Advantages:
[] No freakin' chainsuck ever again... ever. EVER.
[] A bit of weight savings... adios shifter, cable & housing, large & small chainrings, a bit of chain, shorter chainring bolts. Add Jump Stop & bash.
[] If you're coming from a traditional 3x? drivetrain, it sounds like a huge gear limitation. But if you're coming from a 1x1 drivetrain, it sounds (& feels) like a HUGE increase in gear range.
[] Forces you to HTFU compared to your wimpy granny grinding riding buds.
[] Did I mention no ****in' chainsuck?

I've got a bunch of bikes. Several are singlespeeds. All that are multi-speeds except one (this being an off-road touring machine with a 20x34 low gear) sport 1x? drivetrains.

--sParty

P.S. Hopefully a Mod will come along and move this thread to the drivetrain board.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,110 Posts
Mono Veloce chainring, bashguard, jumpstop, brake lever and you're good to go. I did this to my "other" bike, a 1x9 Sugar 2 69er.
 

·
Dive Bomber
Joined
·
770 Posts
Err..

SS also stand as Seven Speed or Six Speed not just Single Speed CMIIW.

And BTW I already ditch my Six Seven Speed sprocket and derailer/shifters so there's no more turning back to gears.

Now I am pure riding SS, I can't believe that my now my ears feels better not hearing some weird noises somewhere on the drivetrain.

I ride more, tanned more, and all I know every ride with SS is a bless.
 

·
.......
Joined
·
3,707 Posts
Sparticus said:
Brutha p nut,

I can't believe my eyes. Well, yes I can. Being a dedicated SSer, maybe you're not schooled in the advantages of 1x? drivetrains compared to traditional 3x? drivetrains. Respect.

Advantages:
[] No freakin' chainsuck ever again... ever. EVER.
[] A bit of weight savings... adios shifter, cable & housing, large & small chainrings, a bit of chain, shorter chainring bolts. Add Jump Stop & bash.
[] If you're coming from a traditional 3x? drivetrain, it sounds like a huge gear limitation. But if you're coming from a 1x1 drivetrain, it sounds (& feels) like a HUGE increase in gear range.
[] Forces you to HTFU compared to your wimpy granny grinding riding buds.
[] Did I mention no ****in' chainsuck?

I've got a bunch of bikes. Several are singlespeeds. All that are multi-speeds except one (this being an off-road touring machine with a 20x34 low gear) sport 1x? drivetrains.

--sParty

P.S. Hopefully a Mod will come along and move this thread to the drivetrain board.
I've never had a 1x set up, so can't say with 100% certainty, but I've read of chain derailment issues with both e13 and MRP chain guides. Could be user error, I don't know. But aside from that, I just don't see any advantage of a 1x set up over a 3x (or even a 2x) set up. I've got a dirty geared mistress I keep locked up, except on a few occasions, named Stumpy. Since picking up SS, the granny ring hasn't seen much action, but I sure do like the big ring for the long, flat/downhill sections, and especially for the road ride portions (I am lucky to live by some trails I can ride to).

But you've got experience with both drivetrains, so your logic trumps mine with no experience. Hence, I am going 1x9/10 on my Salsa. But mainly due to the ease of switching back and forth from SS, and cost. 34T x 11-36 will most likely be my set up.
 

·
Out spokin'
In cog? Neato!
Joined
·
14,543 Posts
p nut said:
I've never had a 1x set up, so can't say with 100% certainty, but I've read of chain derailment issues with both e13 and MRP chain guides. Could be user error, I don't know. But aside from that, I just don't see any advantage of a 1x set up over a 3x (or even a 2x) set up. I've got a dirty geared mistress I keep locked up, except on a few occasions, named Stumpy. Since picking up SS, the granny ring hasn't seen much action, but I sure do like the big ring for the long, flat/downhill sections, and especially for the road ride portions (I am lucky to live by some trails I can ride to).

But you've got experience with both drivetrains, so your logic trumps mine with no experience. Hence, I am going 1x9/10 on my Salsa. But mainly due to the ease of switching back and forth from SS, and cost. 34T x 11-36 will most likely be my set up.
That's a good way to go. I predict happiness in your future.

I'm in process of building a 1x10, 30t ring, 11-36t cassette '11 Turner Sultan. This will provide me with a 24-79" gear range -- whoa. In addition to just trailbiking the new sled, I intend to contest at least one 100 mile and one 55 mile race this season. Last year I ran a 30x11-34t in the 100 and SS'd the Fat55, but I'm a year older now... plus I have a couple scores to settle. :D Sad to say, but at my age the SS has finally become a disadvantage in the endurance events (there's over 16,000' gain in the 100).

Get here when ya can.

--sParty
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,468 Posts
My only non-SS (and non-rigid) bike out of four is a 1x8. It's a +40 lb DH bike.

One thing not mentioned is that you get clearance and don't destroy your big ring with technical, which is why DH has used 1x for so long

My girlfriend MTBs 1x9 and 3x is just unnecessary for most times in MTBing.
 

·
Out spokin'
In cog? Neato!
Joined
·
14,543 Posts
p nut said:
Sparty going full plush and geared?? What's the world coming to?!

:D
Whatever it's coming to, my world actually came to it a long time ago.

Last year I contested the 100 on a Salsa Big Mama (29er FS) set up 1x8 (30t ring + 11-34t cassette). While I ride strictly SS November through May, I love suspension once the trails dry out and until the rains arrive again in the fall.

For some reason to me...
FS = gears (but not too many)
SS = rigid or hardtail

It just seems weird to me to put gears on anything but a FS sled. But that's not to imply that I don't like FS w/gears!

Just not too many.

--sParty
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
10,039 Posts
p nut said:
I've never had a 1x set up, so can't say with 100% certainty, but I've read of chain derailment issues with both e13 and MRP chain guides. Could be user error, I don't know. But aside from that, I just don't see any advantage of a 1x set up over a 3x (or even a 2x) set up. I've got a dirty geared mistress I keep locked up, except on a few occasions, named Stumpy. Since picking up SS, the granny ring hasn't seen much action, but I sure do like the big ring for the long, flat/downhill sections, and especially for the road ride portions (I am lucky to live by some trails I can ride to).

But you've got experience with both drivetrains, so your logic trumps mine with no experience. Hence, I am going 1x9/10 on my Salsa. But mainly due to the ease of switching back and forth from SS, and cost. 34T x 11-36 will most likely be my set up.
I've been using an MRP 1.x for a while now and it has worked flawlessly since I got it set up correctly.
 
1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Top