Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Want to know where the trails are in the PNW?

1K views 9 replies 7 participants last post by  MarkHL 
#1 · (Edited)
You don't need a GPS to appreciate this information.

Install Garmin's free application: BaseCamp
http://www8.garmin.com/support/download_details.jsp?id=4435

Download and install either Northwest Trails or Northwest Topos from switchbacks.com (Free).
http://www.switchbacks.com/gpsmaps.aspx

... and you're in business.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
GPS discussion....
If you use a GPS, the maps will upload to your Garmin device and let any underlying maps show through (see example pic loaded on a Oregon 450 below; dark green background). BaseCamp will also let you view waypoints you set or trails you trace or set in Google Earth.

The larger yellow map (below) is an example of a map of Port Gamble I used last week (with a GPS) and it was spot on for navigation.

Map also shows Canadian trails including Whistler, plus 100's of other locations.

A bit more information on the Oregon 450.
It will allow you to install any type of map image on it (you calibrate the image in Google Earth by creating an overlay).
Here is a map from the KMB website of Port Gamble and how it looks installed on the 450 (light green background). The actual map image can be found here:
https://docs.google.com/leaf?id=0B6Il14FQ1_FDMDZiNjUyMTEtYjE0Ni00M2Q2LWI1YzUtNjc2ZDI5MGNiNDhk&hl=en

The NW-Trails map (dark green background) is actually more detailed than the map posted on the website.(light green background).

Attachments

See less See more
#4 ·
verslowrdr said:
I've been irritated since I don't use Garmin- still fighting to get it into my Delorme mapping software. My preference would be Google Earth KML/KMZ files, then everyone could play...
I used to make KMZ and GPX files available, but a guy who supplied a large chunk of my initial data - all public data, primarily Forest Service - asked me to take it down as he didn't want me to distribute it that way, and I complied. I'm rethinking that, but in the meantime DeLorme data *is* available. I simply have the link hosted elsewhere to avoid angering that same guy. Look here and click the "NWT DeLorme" link in the upper right: http://www.wix.com/totemlake/hotm

#5 ·
THANK YOU. But... I found that file you so helpfully linked... and I couldn't figure out what the heck to do w/ the pile of files it unzipped, couldn't find any directions complete enough to get there from here, and had to go back to the other 382 things I'm behind on. I'll have to take another stab at it when I get home, but a good README folded into the zip file might be a good idea.

#6 ·
Thank you as well.

Thought the trail names for Tolt was interesting though. Several are way off. But, that's normal around here. And, some folks have came in there in the last year and re-named a bunch. I have no idea why Buckhorn became 529 though for example.

#7 ·
Mark,

I've got a noobish question. A few years ago I downloaded the map switchback and loaded it as the base map on my gps. As I remember it overwrote whatever came from garmin, which was no bid deal sine the map was basically useless.

Is this a better option than the way I did it?

Thanks!

#8 ·
verslowrdr said:
THANK YOU. But... I found that file you so helpfully linked... and I couldn't figure out what the heck to do w/ the pile of files it unzipped, couldn't find any directions complete enough to get there from here, and had to go back to the other 382 things I'm behind on. I'll have to take another stab at it when I get home, but a good README folded into the zip file might be a good idea.
i'm with this guy.

downloaded base camp, ran the .exe, and nothing.

#9 ·
jojotherider said:
i'm with this guy.

downloaded base camp, ran the .exe, and nothing.
Is suddenly becoming a guy on here an upgrade? :p :D

But it's going to require MUCH more than just hitting an executable and having it all magically show up. There's some instructions on the switchbacks forum that I'm hopefully going to take another run at this weekend, in which case I will report my findings.

Maybe I'll even go all dangerous renegade and make some kmz files, lol.

#10 · (Edited)
Rock Climber said:
Mark,

I've got a noobish question. A few years ago I downloaded the map switchback and loaded it as the base map on my gps. As I remember it overwrote whatever came from garmin, which was no bid deal sine the map was basically useless.

Is this a better option than the way I did it?

Thanks!
Loading maps will delete all the maps that are on your device EXCEPT for the basemaps that come loaded on the device 'cause they are burned in a chip.

If you are having trouble running BaseCamp check out the system requirements section of the download. It takes a reasonably good video card and some memory to run it, and it won't run on anything less than XP service pack 3.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.