Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey

I want to make my bike a 7 speed, and only run on the middle chainring, I want to get rid of front shifter and derailer . Not sure how to go about it.

My bike is a haro v1 , the front shifter and brake lever are connected, so i assume i need a new front brake shifter.

Basicly i want to keep it on the middle chain ring and have the rear gears, but get rid of the front shifter so i cant change front chainring , and have the chain run on the middle chainring the whole time.

So i need new front brake lever, do i need new cranks ? Can i just take off the front derailer and leave it like that ?

any help would be appreciated

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
You won't need new cranks. You can just take the inner ring and big ring off. You will likely need some bolt spacers to take up the extra space created by the fact you took the big ring off. You don't absolutely have to have it, but a chain guide is a good investment to make sure the chain does not come off the middle ring.

Why can't you disconnect the brake from the shifter?

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hey
The guy at bike shop said i might, i think they are stock 2005 sr suntour cranks.

The brake and shifter are all 1 unit, i was able to remove the cable and inner parts of the front shifter , I left the front dreailler on, as a chain guide for now. Not sure if i should just leave it on as a chain guide ?

Ill mess around with the front shifter again , maybe i can remove it from the brake lever.

thanx for the reply

·
Registered
563 Posts
jesterz99 said:
Hey
The guy at bike shop said i might, i think they are stock 2005 sr suntour cranks.

The brake and shifter are all 1 unit, i was able to remove the cable and inner parts of the front shifter , I left the front dreailler on, as a chain guide for now. Not sure if i should just leave it on as a chain guide ?

Ill mess around with the front shifter again , maybe i can remove it from the brake lever.

thanx for the reply
If the reason you're going 1x7 is to lose weight, by retaining the FD and your stock shifter/brake combo, you're only saving 2xChainrings and 1xShifter cable with housing's weight. That ain't much.

But yeah, retaining the FD as a chainguide works. I just rigged my bike yesterday, using a FD as a chainguide. But that's just temporary solution for me to see if I can survive single upfront.

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
yeah - going single ring is definitely not something to do to save weight. It will make zero difference to how fast you can go. Main benefit is simplicity.

I would recommend a proper chainguide, not the FD. Primarily because the bottom roller of a CG will increase chain tension significantly which will make it less likely you will drop a chain. With just the FD, you will still be dropping the chain. Also, when you get rid of large ring, you can take a few links out of chain - that will also increase tension.

I don't know those cranks, but it seems highly unlikely that you would need to change cranks. Did they LBS guy say why? He may just be trying to sell you stuff you don't need.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hey

I am not looking to save weight, just dont use the front shifting. I am an old bmx racer so 7 gears is enough for me .
The trails i ride i do fine in just gears 1- 4 ,

I just hate hitting that front shifter on mistake , so my solution is to get rid of it.

thanx alot guys,

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.