Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
1,166 Posts
I run mine without the spacer
Tried mine like that. Didn't care for how it felt. A little too mushy and wallowed in the mid stroke. Also tire rubbed seat when dropped at full compression. It did increase travel to 150 though without any tire contact on seat tube. I wonder if a set of different dog bone links would help with leverage curve.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Tried mine like that. Didn't care for how it felt. A little too mushy and wallowed in the mid stroke. Also tire rubbed seat when dropped at full compression. It did increase travel to 150 though without any tire contact on seat tube. I wonder if a set of different dog bone links would help with leverage curve.
When I bottom out the suspension (with air removed from 190x50 Mcleod), the wheel does not rub my seat down(150mm Bikeyoke). Plenty of clearance with seat tube as well. If fact, under full compression, the rear wheel is in the same position as the stock Monarch.

As for the suspension feel, I don't feel that it wallows in the mid stroke. The shock is at 160psi for my 180lbs weight. It feels pretty balanced with the front fork ([email protected])

·
Registered
152 Posts
There's another thread talking about mixing linkage from different bike to change travel. I wandered about that as well to change travel/feel as well.

·
Registered
1,166 Posts
When I bottom out the suspension (with air removed from 190x50 Mcleod), the wheel does not rub my seat down(150mm Bikeyoke). Plenty of clearance with seat tube as well. If fact, under full compression, the rear wheel is in the same position as the stock Monarch.

As for the suspension feel, I don't feel that it wallows in the mid stroke. The shock is at 160psi for my 180lbs weight. It feels pretty balanced with the front fork ([email protected])
What size frame are you on? Mine is a large with a 120mm dropper and on the first hard compression with the shock at 190x50 I got serious tire rub on seat. The wallowing was more on the rock tech that I ride in Central Texas. The suspension felt too mushy on double rock ledges when climbing. Running a DVO Diamond at 140mm.

·
Registered
152 Posts
What size frame are you on? Mine is a large with a 120mm dropper and on the first hard compression with the shock at 190x50 I got serious tire rub on seat. The wallowing was more on the rock tech that I ride in Central Texas. The suspension felt too mushy on double rock ledges when climbing. Running a DVO Diamond at 140mm.
Mine's small frame. With all of the air out of the shock, full compression does not hit my 150mm dropper. The post head sits in the middle of the seat rail, so it's not pushed forward and out of the way. As I mentioned before, rear wheel position at full compression is same as the stock [email protected] I'll try to get a picture uploaded.

As for wallowing, I do run IPA position at either 2 or 3 based on type of trail out here in Nor Cal trails, mix of smooth flow and lot of rocky, chunk trails as well. Running faster rebound is key.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Hey guys.

Looking to replace my RS monach shock

Eny body Got Something?
May I ask what your reasoning is for the change? Have you thought about swapping out the DebonAir can for a standard volume can to change the ride characteristics of your current shock? I did just that on mine and it was all the difference in the world. Fanatik bike shop in Seattle who was recommended by Evil sells the std air cans for $50 and it takes 15min to swap out. With the new can and two volume reducer bands I pumped it up to my weight with riding gear and never looked back, rides awesome now. Just a thought, here's a link https://www.fanatikbike.com/products/monarch-air-can-assembly-b1-c1-d1-184x44

·
Registered
1,166 Posts
I tried the standard can on the Monarch. Same issue existed with relation to air pressure to get proper sag. Too high of PSI to get sag caused the shock to be excessively harsh. The Mcleod can operate at lower pressures leaving the suspension plush but still giving good mid stroke support. I am also not a fan of manufacturer set pedal platforms I prefer to be able to adjust my suspension to what feels right for me and the Mcleod allows me to do this.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Hey, can you elaborate on the 6mm spacer? Is this a travel limiting or volume reducing spacer? Thanks in advance. I have a Following V1 and am just starting to play with suspension settings.
The 6mm reducer is to reduce the stroke from 50mm to 44mm. It also reduces the overall shock length from 190mm to 184mm. The spacer prevents the shock from extending to 190mm. The Following is spec'd with 184x44. I suggest you try it without the spacer. If you don't like it, stuff the neg chamber with a piece of soft plastic.

·
Registered
Forbidden Druid / ElevenSix / Fox 36 / Secus / Runt / XT / One Up Carbon Bar / Transfer
294 Posts
The 6mm reducer is to reduce the stroke from 50mm to 44mm. It also reduces the overall shock length from 190mm to 184mm. The spacer prevents the shock from extending to 190mm. The Following is spec'd with 184x44. I suggest you try it without the spacer. If you don't like it, stuff the neg chamber with a piece of soft plastic.
Can you elaborate on the plastic type? Is it relatively easy to disassemble the shock to place the plastic (or spacer) inside? I haven't been able to find clear info on adding reducing spacers. My shock has been a bit too hard on the top out (still counting hard whenever I jump the bike), so I'm trying to reduce stroke to see if that helps.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
847 Posts
Another idea is to geek out and get four 1.5mm spacers and play around with it to maybe find a happy middle ground rather than getting one 6mm and going all or nothing.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Can you elaborate on the plastic type? Is it relatively easy to disassemble the shock to place the plastic (or spacer) inside? I haven't been able to find clear info on adding reducing spacers. My shock has been a bit too hard on the top out (still counting hard whenever I jump the bike), so I'm trying to reduce stroke to see if that helps.

Disassembly is super easy. Let all the air out and unscrew the can to remove. You need to do this occasionally to reset the negative chamber. Clean out the seals and apply grease prior to assembly. You'll see a red top-out bumper. The spacer goes on top of it.

Have you reset the neg chamber? It might help you with top-out issue.

·
Registered
Forbidden Druid / ElevenSix / Fox 36 / Secus / Runt / XT / One Up Carbon Bar / Transfer
294 Posts
Disassembly is super easy. Let all the air out and unscrew the can to remove. You need to do this occasionally to reset the negative chamber. Clean out the seals and apply grease prior to assembly. You'll see a red top-out bumper. The spacer goes on top of it.

Have you reset the neg chamber? It might help you with top-out issue.
The shock is brand spanking new with 3-4 rides, so didn't think about resting negative chamber. I'll give that a try.

Thanks for tip on spacer location.

·
Registered
294 Posts
Another idea is to geek out and get four 1.5mm spacers and play around with it to maybe find a happy middle ground rather than getting one 6mm and going all or nothing.
Great suggestion. That's kinda what I was thinking would be great. Testing in tiers.
Any idea what the stroke reducing spacers are called or where they can be obtained from? Is it just a hack? I can't find any info on these online.

·
Registered
294 Posts
Dougal on here has 1.25 spacers for the Mcleod. I've also been considering playing with different travel lengths. I got my 6mm spacer from Manitou it also came with a piece of foam for a volume reducer in the air can.

https://www.shockcraft.co.nz/mcleod-travel-spacer-28-x-39-x-1-25-mm-shockcraft.html
Excellent! Thanks so much for the link. Ordered four. I'll report how it works out once they arrive. Very curious how it'll affect the kinematics/Geo.

In the meantime, got my -1 headset finally installed and negative chamber reset. Something started rattling last ride annoyingly. I ordered new bearings all around for frame, DT 350 hubs and RWC needle for shock. I used my old RWC from previous shock and I'm guessing there is some unseen play there. Small investment for proper ride.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.