Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
886 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking to build up a Jet 9 RDO. I'm pretty sure i will like it. Looking for some inputs on how it hanldes steep rocky decsents with tight swith backs.

Also, if you have run a Cdale Lefty fork AND a Fox fork, I'd like your feed back on how the two handled on the jet 9 rdo. Right now I'm leaning on a carbon 100mm leftey just to save weight.

·
Bad Case of the Mondays
4,009 Posts
I'm looking to build up a Jet 9 RDO. I'm pretty sure i will like it. Looking for some inputs on how it hanldes steep rocky decsents with tight swith backs.

Also, if you have run a Cdale Lefty fork AND a Fox fork, I'd like your feed back on how the two handled on the jet 9 rdo. Right now I'm leaning on a carbon 100mm leftey just to save weight.
I have mine setup with a Reba RLTi 120mm fork. I am ALMOST as fast on it on the rocky descents as I am on my Turner 5.5 Spot with a 150mm PUSH'd Revelation on it. I've also got a Fox F29 on another bike and I like it quite a bit, but don't get full travel which is kind of annoying.

I've had a couple CDales in the past. I've never been a Lefty fan at all, so I'd take a Fox or RS fork every day of the week regardless of weight penalty. If you're concerned about weight, why not a SID WC?

·
USED2COULD
1,274 Posts

I've ran lefty's for a while, so I bought a 140mm PBR max carbon opi and dropped in the conversion spacers and air volume reducer (project 321 sold me the kit for $35). I've since converted another lefty and it seems with my 2.25" RR's I only need 20mm reduction. Currently I am at 110mm on the lefty, I'll up that to 120mm when I remove that excess spacer.

I love lefties, I find them very stiff, and of course all of my wheels are interchangeable (I run three carbon lefty 29'ers). I've ridden fox on little wheels an they were great, I really am not qualified to compare though.

I find my RDO rides best particularly on rocky descents and climbs if you put the hammer down then it flies up and down. :thumbsup:

Best of luck.

·
Registered
886 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I have mine setup with a Reba RLTi 120mm fork. I am ALMOST as fast on it on the rocky descents as I am on my Turner 5.5 Spot with a 150mm PUSH'd Revelation on it. I've also got a Fox F29 on another bike and I like it quite a bit, but don't get full travel which is kind of annoying.

I've had a couple CDales in the past. I've never been a Lefty fan at all, so I'd take a Fox or RS fork every day of the week regardless of weight penalty. If you're concerned about weight, why not a SID WC?
I've ran lefty's for a while, so I bought a 140mm PBR max carbon opi and dropped in the conversion spacers and air volume reducer (project 321 sold me the kit for $35). I've since converted another lefty and it seems with my 2.25" RR's I only need 20mm reduction. Currently I am at 110mm on the lefty, I'll up that to 120mm when I remove that excess spacer.

I love lefties, I find them very stiff, and of course all of my wheels are interchangeable (I run three carbon lefty 29'ers). I've ridden fox on little wheels an they were great, I really am not qualified to compare though.

I find my RDO rides best particularly on rocky descents and climbs if you put the hammer down then it flies up and down
Thanks guys that's the exact feedback I was looking for. I currently ride a Stumpy 29 with 130mm travel front and back and I love the way it rides. Most of my riding is rocky, technical flat, climbs and descents. It's nice to get some feedback like that before I build the bike. I just can't see myself not loving the RDO. Now, will agonize over Lefty or regular fork. I'll have 5 bikes with normal forks so its going to be tough not to use a normal fork just because I like the interchangeablity.

·
Carbon & Ti rule
5,410 Posts
I love my RDO, I did some awesome fast down hill on damp track on our Saturday night ride in the Redwood forest.

For what you want I wouldn't go lefty, Go for max front travel.

The bike has loads of grip & really got the job done with my setup, Reverb dropper seat post, White brothers Loop fork ( at the moment ) Full XX group set, 180mm rotors front & rear & because it was was wet I ran my Sun Ringle Chargers, 2.35 Nobby Nic & 2.35 Nans Dumpf on the front.

Pressers for the ride were 24 Ib rear & 19 Ib front.

I am finding my RDO is faster down hill in the ruff Than what My Rip9 was with 140 Reverlation on the front.

·
Registered
886 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks guys, I'm def going to build one up after this Flash build!

·
Daniel the Dog
6,764 Posts
The 120mm fork balances this bike out and makes it a good descender... The RDO was a sketchy descender with the 100mm Fox fork.

If you were looking for a trail bike I would strongly recommend you at least consider a RIP 9.

·
Carbon & Ti rule
5,410 Posts
The 120mm fork balances this bike out and makes it a good descender... The RDO was a sketchy descender with the 100mm Fox fork.

If you were looking for a trail bike I would strongly recommend you at least consider a RIP 9.
When you get your RDO setup right, you will find that the RDO is well capable of footting it with the Rip9.

I rode a Rip9 today, when was the last time you rode one ? If I remember right you didn't like yours & when you went to the Alloy Jet9 you said it suited you much better.

I'm not saying that the Rip9 isn't a great Trail bike, Because it is & I loved mine.

But the Jet9 RDO is just as much fun & it's faster & easyer to through around.

I'm just not sure you are getting the best out of your setup,

·
Daniel the Dog
6,764 Posts
I respect your opinion but I would not buy a Jet 9 RDO for trail riding. The RIP has more travel and is nearly a grand cheaper. but that is just me. I chose a RDO because I race endurance races and wanted to save the weight. I'm not sure the RIP isn't stiffer to with the maxle rear end....

·
Registered
886 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
Muzzac, thanks for the pics, that's an awsome build, I don't even want to know what the build cost was, but I'm sure that bike rides like a dream. I'll def run 120mm. Might even swap over my Reba w 20mm maxle and run my Hadleys, very stiff. It will be tough not to try and find a 120 fox with kasmir coating to match the rear shock though.:thumbsup:

I've got all XO already in the shop ready for the build. The XO crank 2x10 is 26/38 and I'll run 11/36 in the rear on the RDO. What are you running. I might switch out the 26 for a 24. What are you running?

Jaybo, thanks for the info. I also ride an alum FS Stumpy with 130mm front/rear. I def want a all carbon frame with less travel that I can flick around the trail. I'm pretty sure I'll like the RDO.

·
Registered
886 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Muzzac, I'm not sure what they call it, but did you use any of the plastic stuff they use to protect the carbon frame from rock stikes, etc? If you used some, can you tell me what it is? I want to add some to the under side of the frame for protection and rub.

Also, what fork is that?

How does your RDO handle on steep, tight switch backs that are real technical?

·
Carbon & Ti rule
5,410 Posts
Muzzac, I'm not sure what they call it, but did you use any of the plastic stuff they use to protect the carbon frame from rock stikes, etc? If you used some, can you tell me what it is? I want to add some to the under side of the frame for protection and rub.

Also, what fork is that?

Hi the bike is covered almost everywhere with 3M stone guard clear tape, I got it from a sign writer.
Thet use it to do the front of cars to stop stone chips.

The frame comes with 1 layer on down tube, I added another.

·
Carbon & Ti rule
5,410 Posts
Muzzac, thanks for the pics, that's an awsome build, I don't even want to know what the build cost was, but I'm sure that bike rides like a dream. I'll def run 120mm. Might even swap over my Reba w 20mm maxle and run my Hadleys, very stiff. It will be tough not to try and find a 120 fox with kasmir coating to match the rear shock though.:thumbsup:

I've got all XO already in the shop ready for the build. The XO crank 2x10 is 26/38 and I'll run 11/36 in the rear on the RDO. What are you running. I might switch out the 26 for a 24. What are you running?

Jaybo, thanks for the info. I also ride an alum FS Stumpy with 130mm front/rear. I def want a all carbon frame with less travel that I can flick around the trail. I'm pretty sure I'll like the RDO.
I like the way you can change the bike so much just by changing wheel & tyre combo.

I'm running 26/39 & like it, I was thinking of putting on X0 cranks so I could try 24/38, I have the parts but just haven't fitted them so I guess that means I don't need them.

·
Registered
1,455 Posts

Also, what fork is that?

I sell a plate that protects the rocker, bb, and lower down tube: Rock protection for Santa Cruz and Niner frames - Buy and Sell and Review Mountain Bikes and Accessories. I also covered most of my frame with 3M 8674 polyurethane tape. My RDO does everything my RIP9 did, but with 3 lbs less weight:)

·
Daniel the Dog
6,764 Posts
The Jet 9 RDO is an awesome machine but so is the RIP 9. Tough call on which one I would ride if I didn't race but I did sell the 1st generation RIP 9 because I found it twitchy for a given weight and purpose. The newer RIP 9 are just freaking awesome and I love the rear maxle option.

·
Registered
127 Posts
I have put over 700 miles on my RDO with a lefty reduced to 110 and I can say that It loves steep downhills. I live in Northern Michigan and most of our trails have lots of steep climbs and fast techy downhills. No real rock gardens but plenty of rocks and roots and many switchbacks.

I love the way the Lefty pairs with the RDO rear suspension and can't imagine switching it for any fork. When the lefty is locked out it is locked out and when it is open it handles everything from small bumps to small drops like nothing else. I did send my Fox RP 23 to Fox and had them put in a stiffer spring. I felt that when it was locked it was still to soft for my preferences. Now when I Switch the pro pedal on it is very stiff in the back and when it is open it eats up everything.

·
Daniel the Dog
6,764 Posts
Kind of

When you get your RDO setup right, you will find that the RDO is well capable of footting it with the Rip9.

I rode a Rip9 today, when was the last time you rode one ? If I remember right you didn't like yours & when you went to the Alloy Jet9 you said it suited you much better.

I'm not saying that the Rip9 isn't a great Trail bike, Because it is & I loved mine.

But the Jet9 RDO is just as much fun & it's faster & easyer to through around.

I'm just not sure you are getting the best out of your setup,
I had a first generation RIP 9 and it was steep and twitchy for a given weight. I got into racing and got a Jet 9 alloy and loved it. I have a Jet 9 RDO now and enjoy it a lot. It is lighter than the RIP 9 and more stable than a Jet 9 alloy. However, that said, it is also stupid expensive and made of plastic. No maxle is available for a Jet 9 RDO and it is shorter than the RIP 9 by 20mm in rear travel. That is why I recommended the RIP 9 for a lot of trail riders who never race. I'm not convinced the RDO 9 is clearly better than the RIP 9. It is just different! However, my trail bike is still my, gulp, Turner 5 Spot :)

·
Carbon & Ti rule
5,410 Posts
I had a first generation RIP 9 and it was steep and twitchy for a given weight. I got into racing and got a Jet 9 alloy and loved it. I have a Jet 9 RDO now and enjoy it a lot. It is lighter than the RIP 9 and more stable than a Jet 9 alloy. However, that said, it is also stupid expensive and made of plastic. No maxle is available for a Jet 9 RDO and it is shorter than the RIP 9 by 20mm in rear travel. That is why I recommended the RIP 9 for a lot of trail riders who never race. I'm not convinced the RDO 9 is clearly better than the RIP 9. It is just different! However, my trail bike is still my, gulp, Turner 5 Spot :)
The RDO is only 14mm short of the Rip9 in rear travel & given that the Rdo uses all it's travel & most can't get the Rip9 to use all it's travel because it ramps up so much.

So they end up being much closer than most would think.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts