Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I want to build a set of bar LED lights(floods) and a headlamp(spot). I ve read a few threads and there is much conflicting info. I want to do this as cheap as possible. I don't think I need 1000lumens. Just a nice reliable set up that easy to get. I just need info on the guts and cables and power supply. Not concerned about the housing as I have a machine shop at my dispossal. I plan to mount in 1" round alum tubing

G

·
Do you require high/med/low power, flash mode etc or just on and off or maybe just high and med. And what sort of run time do you require?

·
I'd rather be riding!
258 Posts
If you have a machine shop at your disposal then I suggest Achesalot's design. The hardest part of his is cutting the square tubing to the correct tolerances. After that it is a piece of cake. It's best to use a TaskLED nFlex or bFlex driver. That way you can play with the amps that you drive. Otherwise use a Buckpuck at whatever amps you choose. A triple for your bars is plenty and is only 3"x2"x1", nice and compact.

Optics spred (spot, medium, etc.) is a personal choice and is more dictated by the width and type of trails you ride. I ride tight single track at night and have migrated from medium beam triple to closer to spot triple on the bar. Even so, the beam is still plenty wide with enough spill to see off the trail, but gives me more throw down the trail. Helmet light is a dual spot and is plenty when used along with the bar light.

You can buy optics from Brum over on Candlepowrforums.com under the group buy category. He has been great to deal with as he is a fellow rider and understands what you are doing.

G

·
Yep pretty much as kmacon said, you can however get a buck puck with two extra pins to allow for a switch and a resistor for high/low from ledsupply they also sell optics. The big spend is battery pack(s) you have batteryspace.com or allbattery.com a good Li-ion pack and charger isn't cheap but will be light weight and compact. 14.8volt for 3 leds and 11.1 volt for 2 leds.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.