Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
287 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Motorcycle Tire Motor vehicle Wheel Automotive tire
I have a few different bikes in the stable for different moods and applications but what I would really like to build is a 650B based off trail technical bike for low speed exploring and rock crawling in the technical terrain of New England. Back in my off-road motorcycle days this was a "plonker" and models were made by Bultaco, OSSA and Montessa. I envision something between a trials and XC type of machine. It would have very short chain stays, around 16.7", a bottom bracket height of 13.6 min., sharp rake, longish top tube and dual suspension of not more than 110 mm. Gearing would be a 1-X with a 15-42 cog set. Obviously this kind of geometry won't work for high speed descents down rocky hills or railing turns but that is not its purpose and I have bikes for that. It would have to be super light although I would sacrifice a few lbs for durability. I have been checking out specs of different frames and have not been able to find a suitable option. Maybe a custom Chinese item would work. Any suggestions?

·
Registered
227 Posts
View attachment 886598 I have a few different bikes in the stable for different moods and applications but what I would really like to build is a 650B based off trail technical bike for low speed exploring and rock crawling in the technical terrain of New England. Back in my off-road motorcycle days this was a "plonker" and models were made by Bultaco, OSSA and Montessa. I envision something between a trials and XC type of machine. It would have very short chain stays, around 16.7", a bottom bracket height of 13.6 min., sharp rake, longish top tube and dual suspension of not more than 110 mm. Gearing would be a 1-X with a 15-42 cog set. Obviously this kind of geometry won't work for high speed descents down rocky hills or railing turns but that is not its purpose and I have bikes for that. It would have to be super light although I would sacrifice a few lbs for durability. I have been checking out specs of different frames and have not been able to find a suitable option. Maybe a custom Chinese item would work. Any suggestions?
I use my fat bike for that type of riding. I really, really think you should consider fat for the type of riding you describe. Very stable, lots of traction, simple design.

·
Registered
287 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Interesting that you suggest that as I was coming to the same conclusion. A local shop has them for demo and I am going to try it out.
Thx.

·
Registered
913 Posts
Maybe Rocky Mountain is on to something...

Bicycle tire Tire Wheel Bicycle wheel rim Bicycle wheel

This is a concept bike from Sea Otter. It's practically what you've described to the letter. It has 95mm rear travel and 100-120 in the front. The rims are 40mm wide and the tires are 2.8's.

You should ask RMB to be a test pilot.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.