Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3,276 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
You may have noticed my other thread that I just started. I'm looking to get into DJ and I'd like to build something in my yard to get things started. I don't have a ton of room so I'm thinking I can build 1 small gapper to help me get speed for a larger main jump. I want something that would give me enough air time so that I can start tweaking things out and learn some tricks. I do have experience hitting jumps on my freeride bike but I'm definitely not super-confident in the air. So I would want to to hit it with my 7x7 freeride bike as well. How tall should I go? Is there a rule of thumb with length vs. height? I was thinking a wooden launch with a dirt landing, any problems with that? What's best for learning standard gap, step-up, step-down?

·
I Void Waranties
541 Posts
Start with table tops unless you have problems with punks riding your jump out. Focus more on building a good landing if you are just starting out. Once you get the hang of it you can dig out the centre and use that same soil to make ur jump bigger.
Use lots of water and let the jump harden for a few days; using the right soil will make things easier and clay or kitty litter are often added in sandy soil.

·
Registered
315 Posts
Like Punkybootzer said use tabletops to start out learning jumps since you said you're not super comfortable in the air and landing short during a 360 can hurt but more importantly it may hurt your confidence in the air. Plus afte you develop the skills to bail properly and in general have more confidence in the ari you can make the jump bigger just by digging out the dirt you already have.

Onto building the jump, first of all a wooden kicker with a dirt landing is fine but this won't let you change the way it feels later and finding the right height and distance is something you learn as you go. As a guide to see the height vs distance use this while building jumps.

Also to answer your other question, a step up jump with a mulch or just a really soft landing is the best thing to learn tricks on but i think since you're only in your yard your best bet would be to build a tabletop

·
Registered
1,713 Posts
woodyak said:
You may have noticed my other thread that I just started. I'm looking to get into DJ and I'd like to build something in my yard to get things started. I don't have a ton of room so I'm thinking I can build 1 small gapper to help me get speed for a larger main jump. I want something that would give me enough air time so that I can start tweaking things out and learn some tricks. I do have experience hitting jumps on my freeride bike but I'm definitely not super-confident in the air. So I would want to to hit it with my 7x7 freeride bike as well. How tall should I go? Is there a rule of thumb with length vs. height? I was thinking a wooden launch with a dirt landing, any problems with that? What's best for learning standard gap, step-up, step-down?
please read the DJ / Pump Track Plans thread. there is a lot in there.

how big is your yard? you would likely need a roll-in to get the appropriate speed.
see:
roll-inshttp://www.ridemonkey.com/forums/showthread.php?t=228191

·
Registered
236 Posts
The less steep the easier it will be to hit. You won't get much air, but you can gradually build it up as you feel better. Definetly a tabletop so you can roll over it the first time, and increase your speed and pop until you clear the whole thing.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts