Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a Proflex 856 with the Elastomer shocks. I have already replaced the front suspension, and am now looking for a replacement Spring /Oil shock assembly that I can bolt on to replace the old one I have.
Anyone have any ideas???

·
Registered
23,381 Posts
Proflex? It's time for a new bike. Sorry I have to be the one to give the tough love, but nothing lasts forever. You'll be amazed at how much even the most basic modern suspension bike behaves better than your current ride. Check out the Specialized SJ FSR line. Lots of people seem to be really happy with those.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ouch...

Kracker said:
Proflex? It's time for a new bike. Sorry I have to be the one to give the tough love, but nothing lasts forever. You'll be amazed at how much even the most basic modern suspension bike behaves better than your current ride. Check out the Specialized SJ FSR line. Lots of people seem to be really happy with those.
You can take your Specialized.....
I like my proflex, because it is different than the standard also rans that float around the mall...
I bought it because it looked better than any other bike out there (in 96). Now it is MY piece of nostalgia that I am not willing to get rid of. I have my NEW bike that I ride, a road bike with full Campy Record that the components alone probably cost more than you mountain bike put together. If this is harsh I am sorry, I simply want a new rear shock for my mountain bike that doesn't include elastimers. I don't need top of the line, I just want a destictive looking bike that handles well. The next time I want suggestions for the best thing out there, I'm sure the reply will not be Specialized...
Good Night!

·
Registered
681 Posts
Ole' Padre said:
You can take your Specialized.....
I like my proflex, because it is different than the standard also rans that float around the mall...
I bought it because it looked better than any other bike out there (in 96). Now it is MY piece of nostalgia that I am not willing to get rid of. I have my NEW bike that I ride, a road bike with full Campy Record that the components alone probably cost more than you mountain bike put together. If this is harsh I am sorry, I simply want a new rear shock for my mountain bike that doesn't include elastimers. I don't need top of the line, I just want a destictive looking bike that handles well. The next time I want suggestions for the best thing out there, I'm sure the reply will not be Specialized...
Good Night!
Hey oledude - my polished 96 GT LTS1 looked and rode way better than that ratty 856 :) I still have my GT and even ride it once in a while. That frickin GT frame was beefy as all get out and I thrashed the hell out of it and it's still good to go.

·
Registered
1,740 Posts
You can order direct from Risse. There are 3 models however I don't think you need the adjustable damping. The basic shock is $198.00 US. I've been using the Astro 5 on my Santa Cruz Tazmon for 5 years with 1 seal change. Great quality. Here's the link...
http://www.risseracing.com/Products/Shocks/Air/Genesis/genesis.html
Ole' Padre said:
Well...
What is it and where do I need to go to get it? Oughg ya, and what is the price?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
campisi said:
Hey oledude - my polished 96 GT LTS1 looked and rode way better than that ratty 856 :) I still have my GT and even ride it once in a while. That frickin GT frame was beefy as all get out and I thrashed the hell out of it and it's still good to go.
Hey All....
I know there are a LOT of bikes out there better than what I have. I am not takin the HUGE air that you all are. I do some single trake riding, and what I have has done fine. I am just looking into a slight upgrade in the backend.
It appears that there are some options out there for me. Thank you all for your replys

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
lebikerboy said:
You can order direct from Risse. There are 3 models however I don't think you need the adjustable damping. The basic shock is $198.00 US. I've been using the Astro 5 on my Santa Cruz Tazmon for 5 years with 1 seal change. Great quality. Here's the link...
http://www.risseracing.com/Products/Shocks/Air/Genesis/genesis.html
Thank you for the information. I will be purchasing something in the next few weeks.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.