Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I am seriously considering promoting another endurance race near Asheville but before I expend anymore effort I need to know if it is something riders would want to do. There are a lot of specifics to work out so this scenario is very loose. First would be included camping at the start finish. It would work as a race as well as an organized ride. There would be prizes for maybe 3, deep in 4 or 5 categories, mens, womans, SS, cyclocross, and maybe 29ers. Swag, after event food, beer, and entertainment for everyone. Quiet camp Fri night, race Sat, party/camp Sat night. Metric century plus, (60 to 80 miles) so everyone gets in in time to have fun. Fuzzy right now but like 25 miles pavement, 30 miles dirt road, 20 miles trails. The trails might not work out, so it could be 30 pavement, mostly down and 30 dirt, mostly up. No matter what, the scenery and country side would be breath taking. Long birds eye view (rest stop here for sure) water falls, cool forests very little traffic. It would be well marked, no navigation. Either race hard, or enjoy the ride. It will have some long relatively steep climbs so finishing either way would be something to brag about. The race would be in the late spring so as not to conflict with other area endurance races, or my other race, the 24 Hours of Pisgah, held in September.

·
Registered
37 Posts
i think it sounds like a good idea, if you schedule it for the early spring. it seems like almost every race in the southeast is in may. i'd be willing to drive up from georgia if the race were in early april or march, especially if it were scenic and mostly off pavement. also, could you include a fixed gear category, provided you get three or more fixies to race?

·
H8 H8 H8
864 Posts
I like it.

Good stuff.

What category would a wrench-shifted, two speed, rigid, 29", cyclocross
bike with flat bars and big knobbies be in? :lol:

My only suggestion would be to either reduce the categories or have an
"Open" category. Picking the right rig should be part of the challenge!

If you promote it, I shall attend.

ZB

·
Category Winner
6,100 Posts
extrmtao said:
Since I live in the area I would be looking for as much singletrack as possible. . .
I'm widdat.
No singletrack makes Jack a dull boy. I did the Mountain Mania ride in '01. 65 miles of gravel and pavemebt with just a tad bit os singletrack was pretty disapointing. They did have $1.00 hot dogs at the finish line though.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Another vote for singletrack

teamdicky said:
I'm widdat.
No singletrack makes Jack a dull boy. I did the Mountain Mania ride in '01. 65 miles of gravel and pavemebt with just a tad bit os singletrack was pretty disapointing. They did have $1.00 hot dogs at the finish line though.
Me three. It would be a lot of driving for a dirt road/pavement race, but the lure of Pisgah singletrack would entice this Florida boy to make the trek.

You might want to look at earlier in the season. May got really crowded in the Southeast this year.

·
paintbucket
2,825 Posts
Late March early April works for me. And I like the semi-festival atmosphere idea. Unless I'm on a road bike pavement sucks though. Especially without gears.

·
Registered
3,336 Posts
Ken- please. But, at the same time, please coordiante with EW to make sure there's at least a two week gap between this proposed event and PMBAR.
Mike

·
Registered
216 Posts
Free entry, no NORBA. If there is a fee, use all the money to buy beer for participants and helpers. Climb on pavement, descent on dirt. No classes. No prizes. Why would friday be quiet? Do you want to discourage parties the night before? Keep MTBing cheap and fun.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I am convinced

Cleve Lansteamer said:
Free entry, no NORBA. If there is a fee, use all the money to buy beer for participants and helpers. Climb on pavement, descent on dirt. No classes. No prizes. Why would friday be quiet? Do you want to discourage parties the night before? Keep MTBing cheap and fun.
OK then, Thet settles it. I will abandon my idea and come to your race. In fact I want to come live in your world too.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Wait a minute!

Cleve Lansteamer said:
After some thought I like this idea. In fact I already have the race scheduled. Here is how it will work. Free entry, No categories, you can choose either single track, road, dirt, or a combination. no prizes, party all the time. There will be no rules. You can set your own start time and the results will be on the honor system. Just tell us what place you came in when you cross the finish. Bring your own beer though because you wouldnt believe how expensive free beer is. To keep mountain biking cheap and fun I won't tell anyone the date or the venue. Just come to that big free camping area at the best time for a mountain bike race. This is going to be great! See you there.

·
H8 H8 H8
864 Posts
Sweet !

Enduro Adventures said:
After some thought I like this idea. In fact I already have the race scheduled. Here is how it will work. Free entry, No categories, you can choose either single track, road, dirt, or a combination. no prizes, party all the time. There will be no rules. You can set your own start time and the results will be on the honor system. Just tell us what place you came in when you cross the finish. Bring your own beer though because you wouldnt believe how expensive free beer is. To keep mountain biking cheap and fun I won't tell anyone the date or the venue. Just come to that big free camping area at the best time for a mountain bike race. This is going to be great! See you there.
I WON!

When can we do this again?

ZB

·
H8 H8 H8
864 Posts
Protest!

teamdicky said:
Too late.
I just won the last three races since your dubious victory.
No way dude. I totally kicked your butt. I did three laps around my house
and a keg stand WAY faster than whatever it was YOU did.

Hey Ken, I protest. You sure do put on a crappy half-assed event.

ZB

·
H8 H8 H8
864 Posts
But seriously folks...

Enduro Adventures said:
I am seriously considering promoting another endurance race near Asheville but before I expend anymore effort I need to know if it is something riders would want to do. There are a lot of specifics to work out so this scenario is very loose. First would be included camping at the start finish. It would work as a race as well as an organized ride. There would be prizes for maybe 3, deep in 4 or 5 categories, mens, womans, SS, cyclocross, and maybe 29ers. Swag, after event food, beer, and entertainment for everyone. Quiet camp Fri night, race Sat, party/camp Sat night. Metric century plus, (60 to 80 miles) so everyone gets in in time to have fun. Fuzzy right now but like 25 miles pavement, 30 miles dirt road, 20 miles trails. The trails might not work out, so it could be 30 pavement, mostly down and 30 dirt, mostly up. No matter what, the scenery and country side would be breath taking. Long birds eye view (rest stop here for sure) water falls, cool forests very little traffic. It would be well marked, no navigation. Either race hard, or enjoy the ride. It will have some long relatively steep climbs so finishing either way would be something to brag about. The race would be in the late spring so as not to conflict with other area endurance races, or my other race, the 24 Hours of Pisgah, held in September.
Anyway, for the sake of actually offering constructive criticism....

I've got to go against the grain here and say that a substantial chunk of pavement
would be nice. There are plenty of regular endurance MTB races around and there
are plenty of road races around. What I like about the idea is that it's DIFFERENT.
It's a challenge. It's mixing that shizzle up. It throws in all sorts of variables. It
guarantees that EVERYONE is going to do something they're really good at at
some point and something that they suck at at some point.

My vote is to keep it mixed up. Singletrack = yes. Singletrack, gravel, pavement,
up, down, hike-a-bike all together = OH HELL YES.

Could this be the first signs of a Tour de 'Burg type event in the WNC?

My $0.02

ZB

·
paintbucket
2,825 Posts
Broussard said:
My vote is to keep it mixed up. Singletrack = yes. Singletrack, gravel, pavement,
up, down, hike-a-bike all together = OH HELL YES.
Lets do it on road bikes too. ;)

(I'm half serious about that. I'm thinking of putting together a ride in New England next summer that will be pavement, dirt road, unmaintained road [read jeep trail] and some gentle singletrack. Plan is to do it on the skinnies for a change of pace.)

1 - 20 of 38 Posts