Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i have a bike with a 100mm 25* stem (not the most attractive thing). my bars have a slight rise in them, not sure exactly how much but i'd guess an inch.

this makes for a decent reach but i feel this could be done a lot more efficiently.

there are a few things i'd like to acocmplish... i'd like to go to a straight bar. i'd like to get a shorter stem (for quicker steering imputs).

could the same reach be kept by going to a lower rise stem? for instance a flat bar with a 80mm 15* stem or a flat bar with a 70mm 6* stem.

any thoughts.

this is based on this chart not on actually feeling this in front of me, and this is the bike in question.

Attachments

·
Crunchatize me Capn'
2,818 Posts
mjmi11er said:
i have a bike with a 100mm 25* stem (not the most attractive thing). my bars have a slight rise in them, not sure exactly how much but i'd guess an inch.

this makes for a decent reach but i feel this could be done a lot more efficiently.

there are a few things i'd like to acocmplish... i'd like to go to a straight bar. i'd like to get a shorter stem (for quicker steering imputs).

could the same reach be kept by going to a lower rise stem? for instance a flat bar with a 80mm 15* stem or a flat bar with a 70mm 6* stem.

any thoughts.

this is based on this chart not on actually feeling this in front of me, and this is the bike in question.
The first thing you need to figure out is how well you like the height of the bars in general. If you like it, you're going to have to get a stem with a higher degree of rise to compensate for the inch or so lost when switching over to a flat bar. After that you're going to have to decide how much shorter you want to go. Don't make a huge jump. 5 mm increments in stem length can make a big difference in the overall feel when turning the bike. Other than that, overall reach can be obtained (or very close to it) by switching a lesser degree stem and playing around with length as the chart shows. It's really just a matter of trig. to figure out the exact numbers. Of course overall handle bar height will be lowered as a result.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.