Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking for a Dual-Suspension cross country or all mountain bike.. but I'm only 5' 0".. I really want the Cake, but it has a really steep angle on the top tube and I have very little clearance on their smallest bike. Has anyone had any problems with the steep top tube? Or know of any similar smaller bikes?

Thanks!

·
the bomb
531 Posts
might check out Titus

sdoll said:
I'm looking for a Dual-Suspension cross country or all mountain bike.. but I'm only 5' 0".. I really want the Cake, but it has a really steep angle on the top tube and I have very little clearance on their smallest bike. Has anyone had any problems with the steep top tube? Or know of any similar smaller bikes?

Thanks!
www.titusti.com

Titus makes a couple of fs frames that come in smaller sizes (the racer-X and the moto lite)

·
Registered
728 Posts
I'm 4'10" and just sprung for a FS bike.

I ran across a girl on the trail the other day that had an Ellsworth Truth - they now make them in x-small. it was a sweet bike - the standover was marginal for me, but considering you are 2" taller - it might work for you. The top-tube was bent for maximun stand-over.
I hear a lot of good things about that bike and it looks good too!

I found 2 good custom options - Titus Racer-x and Seven Duo . I went with the Seven w/80mm rear travel because I like the chainstays and Maverick rear suspenions design (it's pretty pricey tho...) - The frame is being delivered tomorrow. But I don't think there is any way you can go wrong with a Racer-x either...

it's nice to have options!

·
Fragile
253 Posts
sdoll said:

Thanks!
I would think that Ventana would be able to come up with a bike that would fit you. Otherwise, Santa Cruz makes the Juliana, as mentioned above.

Another new option: Turner is making a few XS Fluxs this year, here is a pic of one: http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?postid=829891#poststop

·
Registered
46 Posts
I ride a Cake GS and love it -- but be careful of the geometry because you need to have a long torso to fit it properly. www.wrenchscience.com is a good place to figure out your dimensions, including reach, which is really important.

The Juliana and the Titus models are sweeeeet and they have different geometry.

Good luck!

·
Registered
7,698 Posts
My wife is 5', too. she's riding a SM Trek Fuel 90, and loves it.

·
Registered
789 Posts
More Santa Cruz

In addition to the Juliana which my 5'0" GF just purchased, Santa Cruz has added to the blur lineup.... The newly tweaked Blur now known as the Blur XC will be offered in an XS size (20.5" TT, 15" ST and a 26.6" standover height).

·
the bomb
531 Posts
Awesome

this is so cool! It's great to see so many more options out there in smaller fs bikes. 2 years ago it seemed like titus and santa cruz were the only options, but looks like nearly all the big mfg's are now making xs models. This is great news :D

·
Motion activated
3,257 Posts
My wife just went from a medium Santa Cruz Juliana to an XS Titus Moto-lite. When we were at the shop, they told us that there was going to be a XS Yeti 575 and a XS Ellsworth Truth later this year. There's no info on their websites, so you might want to call the manufacturer for details.

But it's looking like there are a lot of options now days. I didn't know that Turner was making an XS flux. That’s pretty sweet! But it looks like it has a pretty big head tube for such a small bike. Girls still need to have their handle bar bellow their saddle so you might have to run a negative rise stem (not that big of a deal). That's one thing that impressed me with her new Titus - tiny head tube, so she should be able to run a normal stem for the first time in 10 years/6 frames.

·
Ride lots...
898 Posts
My friend's wife rides a small Specialized Epic. She seems to love it. You will love whatever you get I'm sure. FS is the way to go. Good luck :)

·
on a routine expedition
1,585 Posts
Mountain_Smith said:
I would think that Ventana would be able to come up with a bike that would fit you.
My girlfriend and I stopped by the Ventana booth at Sea Otter to ask about small frames. Both their El Saltamontes and X-5 are available in a 13" size. I noticed on their home page that they have 04 X-5s on sale for $1595, including the 13" size. The design of the frames gives a fair amount of standover clearance.

The bikes are beautiful and they were very helpful, answering all our questions even though their booth was swamped with people.

·
Motion activated
3,257 Posts
Steve71 said:
When we were at the shop, they told us that there was going to be a XS Yeti 575
I was at a Yeti Demo day the other week and I asked them about the XS 575. They said they have no plans to build one. Shame.

·
Motion activated
3,257 Posts
MTDirtGirl said:
Huh? Why is that? :confused:
Isn't it obvious!? The more a girl leans foward, the more it enhances her cleavage.

j/k :D

I'm going to roast for that one! Sorry but I just couldn't resist. :)

But seriously - women still need the correct weight distribution on a bike. If your seat is lower/level with your bars then all your weight is on the rear wheel and your front will wash out in corners. Also it's more efficient for pedaling and more aero.

·
SALLGUD
449 Posts
I know everyone that looks at Yeti is leaning toward the 575, but don't forget their flagship ASR-SL. It is available in a size XS. That is one sweet, light bike. My wife has a Kokopelli in size XS, and loves it to death, but it is no longer made. The geometry is the same in the Kokopelli and ASR-SL.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Steve71 said:
Isn't it obvious!? The more a girl leans foward, the more it enhances her cleavage.
j/k :D

I'm going to roast for that one! Sorry but I just couldn't resist. :)

But seriously - women still need the correct weight distribution on a bike. If your seat is lower/level with your bars then all your weight is on the rear wheel and your front will wash out in corners. Also it's more efficient for pedaling and more aero.
heh, not much cleavage anymore since I lost the extra weight :(

Really, you think my setup is okay? I rode with a group last night and it didn't feel bad, but when comparing with the other women's bike setups I could see how different mine was. Everyone else's was level seat to bars. I ask because I have the bike in the car to take to the LBS today at lunch to get higher rise bars. Even with my seat in the downhill position, it's higher than the bars by an inch (it hasn't been cut yet). But I do believe that if I sat totally upright, yeah there wouldn't be much weight on the front esp with not as much upper body mass as guys have.

·
Domestic Fowl
869 Posts
MTDirtGirl said:
heh, not much cleavage anymore since I lost the extra weight :(

Really, you think my setup is okay? I rode with a group last night and it didn't feel bad, but when comparing with the other women's bike setups I could see how different mine was. Everyone else's was level seat to bars. I ask because I have the bike in the car to take to the LBS today at lunch to get higher rise bars. Even with my seat in the downhill position, it's higher than the bars by an inch (it hasn't been cut yet). But I do believe that if I sat totally upright, yeah there wouldn't be much weight on the front esp with not as much upper body mass as guys have.
Setup depends somewhat on the type of bike and riding you'll de doing. Setup with bars about 1" below the seat is good for XC type riding. You tend to see bars migrate upward as as a function of the amount od agressive/technical type of terrain the bikes will frequent. Freeride and downhill bikes tend to have a more "upright" setup.

Bottom line, you need to find a setup that works for you. Take the 1" rule as a starting point for a neutral XC setup and work from there. It's got to feel right to you.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.