Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Make some music
740 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Let's ask.....

I got this address from the Shimano site on the "Contact Us" page... so I sent a letter asking for said XT level 12-36 9-speed cassette.

Shimano American Corp.
1 Holland
Irvine, CA 92618

Go for it!

·
Former Bike Wrench
15,976 Posts
edubfromktown said:
Aye,

Something less chunky than the HG-61 would be awesome.

The other way you can accomplish this is something like:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=250697060043
You can't use that on a aluminum FH Body and I bent the one I purchased in one ride and the teeth showed a lot of wear since it's made of soft stainless steel (the seller did refund me). The better option is the ActionTec ti cogs, though still not good on an aluminum FH Body.

·
scholar and gentleman
54 Posts
I realize it's been nearly a year since the last activity on this thread, but any response?

I'm just now discovering this issue now that I'm looking at a wheelset with an aluminum freehub, and I happen to like the 36t granny-of-grannies on the SLX cassette. Apparently my options are:
1. give up and notch the hell out of the freehub like so many others
2. try to find a reasonable/light hub with Ti or steel freehub body (new can of worms; not interested)
3. replace half my drivetrain for an 11-36, 10-speed cassette on a carrier
4. fashion a carrier out of glitter, antifreeze, latex mold builder, homemade carbon fiber/epoxy layup, some twigs and berries, and chicken blood.

I feel like I've opened a can of worms, evil worms with an appetite for destruction that are out to trash my brand new gear.

Not to p*ss out or anything but I do feel that with the mainstream establishment of 29ers, some lower gearing options should be available that *don't* make half your drivetrain obsolete. If we can have 12-36 in a 9-speed mid-level cassette, how are 10-speed drivetrains more than a scam to make you go out and buy new sh*t? (IMHO of course, not trying to start a war this is just making me crazy)

I think I'm going with option 1, because screw these people that's why. In the meantime, how's that letter-writing campaign going?

·
Fat-tired Roadie
18,453 Posts
With all due respect, it's the combination of a bling hub and previous-model drivetrain that's creating this problem for you.

Why don't you just get a wheelset with a hub that ships with a steel freehub, or at least has one available? That's not particularly limiting, although it may prevent you from buying a few disposable wheels.

·
Doesntplaywellwithmorons!
10,938 Posts
Its simple... take a 10 speed 11-36, DROP the 11T cog and run a spacer behind the cassette to take up the missing cog space, and you'll also need the HG lockring for a 12T size final cog. . Voila... 12-36. The difference between 9 and 10 speed shifter detents is so freaking minor that a shimano drivetrain will happily shift away.

·
scholar and gentleman
54 Posts
The difference between 9 and 10 speed shifter detents is so freaking minor that a shimano drivetrain will happily shift away.
If this is true I'll definitely give it a shot - have you tried it?

I'd assumed the spacing would be different enough that you'd lose a good amount of shifting precision/reliability...

·
Registered
129 Posts
Its simple... take a 10 speed 11-36, DROP the 11T cog and run a spacer behind the cassette to take up the missing cog space, and you'll also need the HG lockring for a 12T size final cog. . Voila... 12-36. The difference between 9 and 10 speed shifter detents is so freaking minor that a shimano drivetrain will happily shift away.
Where do you find the spacer and HG lock ring?

·
Registered
12 Posts
I have a SLX 11-36 for sale in the classifieds, if someone wants to experiment.

classifieds.mtbr.com/showproduct.php?product=73101&title=xtr-rear-derailluer-2c-slx-shifters-2c-slx-cassette-2c-s-works-tires&cat=13]XTR Rear Derailluer, SLX Shifters, SLX Cassette, S-Works Tires - Buy and Sell and Review Mountain Bikes and Accessories

·
Registered
331 Posts
Where do you find the spacer and HG lock ring?
Hg 12t cog spacer :search on ebay for shimano lockring for 12t ,,spacer for 10 speed cog I believe is 2.3mm ,I found 2mm and 2.5mm spacer on ebay so i went with 2.5 and will sand it down to 2.3 .Search for hub spacer on ebay.;)

·
Bicyclochondriac.
15,200 Posts
I realize it's been nearly a year since the last activity on this thread, but any response?

I'm just now discovering this issue now that I'm looking at a wheelset with an aluminum freehub, and I happen to like the 36t granny-of-grannies on the SLX cassette. Apparently my options are:
1. give up and notch the hell out of the freehub like so many others
2. try to find a reasonable/light hub with Ti or steel freehub body (new can of worms; not interested)
3. replace half my drivetrain for an 11-36, 10-speed cassette on a carrier
4. fashion a carrier out of glitter, antifreeze, latex mold builder, homemade carbon fiber/epoxy layup, some twigs and berries, and chicken blood.

I feel like I've opened a can of worms, evil worms with an appetite for destruction that are out to trash my brand new gear.

Not to p*ss out or anything but I do feel that with the mainstream establishment of 29ers, some lower gearing options should be available that *don't* make half your drivetrain obsolete. If we can have 12-36 in a 9-speed mid-level cassette, how are 10-speed drivetrains more than a scam to make you go out and buy new sh*t? (IMHO of course, not trying to start a war this is just making me crazy)

I think I'm going with option 1, because screw these people that's why. In the meantime, how's that letter-writing campaign going?
out of curiosity, what rings are you running?

As far as the real advantage of a 12-36 over a 11-34, I think the practical difference between a 34t and 36t cog are a bit over-rated. I'm willing to bet that if I put a 34t and 36t cog next to each other on a cassette, and you could not see which you were in as you switched back and forth, most people would take a number of shifts back and forth to tell which was which.

·
Doesntplaywellwithmorons!
10,938 Posts
You could find a 12T size HG lockring in any LBS or on ebay easily. The spacer is likewise just as easily sourced. And yes I've run 9 and 10 speed shifters and cassettes in a mix-match fashion and know the spacing difference is even less than that between 7 and 8 speeds and we used to run 8 speed cassettes with Deore DX/XT 7 speed thumbshifters all the time just fine.

·
scholar and gentleman
54 Posts
Voila... 12-36.
Just realized that the second-smallest cog on both XT and X9 10-speeds is 13t -so what you get is a 13-36t cassette. I would think that even subbing in a 12t the jump to 15 (new second-lowest) would be less smooth.

I guess the question is whether or not that bothers you... might give it a try anyway.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.