Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
R.I.P. DogFriend
6,891 Posts
Since 10 speed has made it's way so far down into their product line (and solved problems we didn't have to begin with, not to mention, creating some of it's own along the way), I honestly don't hold out much hope for development of such an animal.

Once they have moved on, I think they prefer you did the same ;) . Oh, yeah, be sure to bring your wallet.

·
Registered
795 Posts
Stratocaster said:
Let's ask.....

I got this address from the Shimano site on the "Contact Us" page... so I sent a letter asking for said XT level 12-36 9-speed cassette.

Shimano American Corp.
1 Holland
Irvine, CA 92618

Go for it!
That would be very nice! Instead of the "boat anchor" of a cassette they made in this gearing....I think it's the CS-HG61 coming in at 425grams!

XT 10 speed is 150 grams lighter! Come on Shimano, help us out here. Since SRAM screwed all of us XO Twisty users, we've been stuck with the boat anchor or staying with 11-34s.

I'd buy 2 today.

·
R.I.P. DogFriend
6,891 Posts
Rideon said:
That would be very nice! Instead of the "boat anchor" of a cassette they made in this gearing....I think it's the CS-HG61 coming in at 425grams!

XT 10 speed is 150 grams lighter! Come on Shimano, help us out here. Since SRAM screwed all of us XO Twisty users, we've been stuck with the boat anchor or staying with 11-34s.

I'd buy 2 today.
In hindsight, I would venture a guess that Shimano knew exactly what they were doing when they released the HG-61 as the only 9 speed with a 36t cog. Very calculated :skep: IMHO since they knew 10 speed was their path into the foreseeable future.

·
Registered
375 Posts
I spoke with the Sunrace rep at NAHMB and asked them if they would consider making just that product. To my surprise, he said it would be out later this year. He claimed their current high end 12-34 9-speed cassette is about 275g, so it may be what we are looking for. It also had a spider of sorts, rings were setup with 2-3 cogs each mounted together on a wider base that contacted the freehub body.

Unfortunately he is the only US distributor, so price may be pretty high if the thing ever actually materializes.

·
Registered
10,039 Posts
the mayor said:
I think you've been hanging with Charlie Sheen a bit too much.
considering that Sunrace does indeed already make a steel 11-34t 9sp cassette with steel rings and alloy carriers that is lighter than an equivalent XT cassette, I don't see why we should doubt their plans or ability

·
Always Learning
9,608 Posts
Stratocaster said:
Get the letters going! What can it hurt...

Get the address for Sunrace too. Letter them as well.

And hey, nay comments are not going to help the cause... Don't post unless you send the letter man.
Why send letters? I don't need to post or send a letter. ;)

11-36T and 12-36T 9 speed cassettes are available and for sale on the internet. 196 - 214g.

BB

·
Registered
367 Posts
BruceBrown said:
Why send letters? I don't need to post or send a letter. ;)

11-36T and 12-36T 9 speed cassettes are available and for sale on the internet. 196 - 214g.

BB
Where pray tell would that be Bruce? No seriously. I am building a 29r hardtail and am interested in getting something like this for it to replace my 9 speed XTR 12-34.

·
Always Learning
9,608 Posts
Zaskar24 said:
Where pray tell would that be Bruce? No seriously. I am building a 29r hardtail and am interested in getting something like this for it to replace my 9 speed XTR 12-34.
The last time I posted where, the mod's yanked my post. I've posted many times about the cassettes with the links, so this time no links. Just information on what and where you could search the internet to find the product.

Search on Google for Luckynino 11-36T Ti cassette. He's a former Weight Weenie forum contributor that was banned for not paying advertising/classified fees. He sells on his website and on eBay in Switzerland, Germany, Italy, etc... .

It's lighter than the XTR 12-34T cassette you are replacing.:thumbsup:

BB

·
Cassoulet forever !
2,260 Posts
BruceBrown said:
The last time I posted where, the mod's yanked my post. I've posted many times about the cassettes with the links, so this time no links. Just information on what and where you could search the internet to find the product.

Search on Google for Luckynino 11-36T Ti cassette. He's a former Weight Weenie forum contributor that was banned for not paying advertising/classified fees. He sells on his website and on eBay in Switzerland, Germany, Italy, etc... .

It's lighter than the XTR 12-34T cassette you are replacing.:thumbsup:

BB
I confirm this.

Thses cassette are made custom for him by Recon, in titanium.
Price is expansive at around 200€

A friend of mine just bought one. Waiting for his feedback.

·
Registered
367 Posts
Thanks for the reply Bruce. Found his blog and have a message into him. The price is a little high but I would go for the standard version instead of the SL which brings it inline pricewise with what a lot of places are asking for XTR cassettes. They do look really nice though.

·
Always Learning
9,608 Posts
Zaskar24 said:
Thanks for the reply Bruce. Found his blog and have a message into him. The price is a little high but I would go for the standard version instead of the SL which brings it inline pricewise with what a lot of places are asking for XTR cassettes. They do look really nice though.
Well, I guess it is all relative. Nino's Ti cassette price compared to other lightweight 9 and 10 speed cassettes isn't out of line. Here are a few from Jenson....

SRAM XG 999 9 speed cassette is $299.99 at Jenson
SRAM XG 1080 10 speed cassette is $249.99 at Jenson
SRAM XX XG 1090 10 speed cassette is $328 at Jenson
Shimano XTR 9 speed cassette is on sale for $169 at Jenson

·
Registered
10,039 Posts
Stratocaster said:
And how do they shift? Flawlessly? And at and XT price?

Anyway, what's being done here is called a HIGHJACK! :nono: The point of this thread is to write letters to Shimano and ask ask ask....

Write and post! Write and post!

Thanks.
You said "XT level", so why does it have to be Shimano that makes an "XT level" cassette? I've had a couple XT cassettes before and they do usually shift flawlessly, but I've also had lots of cheaper cassettes that I've been able to get to shift just as well. Cassette wear, cable/housing condition, derailleur model and condition, shifter, etc all seem to have a bigger impact on shifting than the cassette itself

1 - 20 of 49 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.