Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After doing research on measuring, I found that my 3rd ring is a 42t with a 104mm BCD. I have a 2010 Hardrock.
I've found that I don't use that 3rd ring and would like to replace it with a smaller diameter bashguard for more clearance. I recently began doing some crazy DH and tore up my 3rd ring on the first ride out. I'm hooked on those trails now and want to be prepared for future trips.
I also researched the brands and ran into reviews where people have broken almost every one. So which one can I rely on? I want something tough.

Thanks for the help.

·
Picture Unrelated
5,123 Posts
e13 Supercharger is the toughest bashguard I've ever seen. I can't tell you the horrible things I've bashed it into with barely a scratch. It has since been replaced with the Turbocharger which is much lighter weight but still meant to be as tough but I don't have any time with one yet so I can't comment to that. E13 has been one of my favorite companies to deal with over the years and I always like to support them when possible.

The size (34T, 42T...) refers to the max size of the middle ring it will fit with. If your middle ring is bigger than the size of the bash, it will stick out past the bashguard.

·
Registered
246 Posts
Have you put it through some hard hits?

Is the 36t and 40t measurements for the center ring count that it's protecting? And it fully replaces the 3rd ring correct?
I've smashed it into granite many, many times with no issues at all. My middle ring is 32t. I put on the 36 and it fully protects the ring. Also because the diameter is smaller than the outer ring, it gives some additional clearance.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I am running a similar bashguard, and that price is unreal. I paid more for mine when we got em. :madmax:
Yea, that's dirt cheap.
I've smashed it into granite many, many times with no issues at all. My middle ring is 32t. I put on the 36 and it fully protects the ring. Also because the diameter is smaller than the outer ring, it gives some additional clearance.
Thanks. You gave me confidence in the purchase. I just counted mine as a 32t middle, so it should work just the same.
I'd love to have the e*thirteen Turbo in the future when I upgrade to a better bike completely, but for now the RaceFace's price and durability win's me over.

Thanks everyone for the help.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I got the bashguard today! Wow, that was extremely fast from Jenson. Happy with them, but I'm not sure if I'm happy with the RaceFace guard. It looks great and seems to be strong enough, but its barely smaller than the 3rd 42t sprocket. Its actually 3/4" bigger than the 32t, which leaves plenty of room for a smaller design. I was hoping to gain some clearance (along with protection), but that didn't happen.

I'll post pics on Monday when on a desktop.

·
Registered
246 Posts
I got the bashguard today! Wow, that was extremely fast from Jenson. Happy with them, but I'm not sure if I'm happy with the RaceFace guard. It looks great and seems to be strong enough, but its barely smaller than the 3rd 42t sprocket. Its actually 3/4" bigger than the 32t, which leaves plenty of room for a smaller design. I was hoping to gain some clearance (along with protection), but that didn't happen.

I'll post pics on Monday when on a desktop.
I'd like to see the pics for a compare. Mine just covers. Have you nicked it at all or is it still new?

·
Picture Unrelated
5,123 Posts
Is that about how much room you have between the guard and the second sprocket? Seems like a lot to me, and wasn't much smaller than the 42t sprocket.
That's why if you have a 32T ring you buy a 32T bash. On the plus side, when you hit something with your bashguard, it doesn't stick or get caught and instead slides. So even if you're hitting the bashguard where you might have hit the 42T ring, you won't get hung up anymore.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I didn't think there would be much difference in diameter between 36t and 32t guard. Oh well, it still does its job, and if I feel like I need more clearance, I'll just sell it and buy a 32t. It wasn't expensive, so not a big deal.

·
Picture Unrelated
5,123 Posts
I didn't think there would be much difference in diameter between 36t and 32t guard. Oh well, it still does its job, and if I feel like I need more clearance, I'll just sell it and buy a 32t. It wasn't expensive, so not a big deal.
Yeah, and like I said you'll still have benefits from your guard. I actually noticed this weekend that the bash on my DJ bike is actually the same as yours, 36T bash on a 32T ring. I've never had an issue.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.