Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
329 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I appologize up-front for trying to pimp in the Santa Cruz forum but I've been trying to sell and trade springs for a year now in the buy and sell sections without success.

I need a steel spring - 2.25" stroke x 275 lb/in. I have two excellent condition 2.25" stroke springs - 300 lb/in. and 400 lb/in. Anyway - is anybody interested in trading springs? Or selling? Or buying springs?

Thanks!

Dave.

·
Registered
329 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
cdub said:
how much do you weigh. just trying to get a basisi on what spring i should get if i do buy a 5th
I weigh 150 lbs ready for battle with the rocks and trees. I ride aggressive XC / all-mountain in rocky rooty terrain but I don't huck my Heckler. I wheelie drop and jump off of 2' - 3' drops and hit some table tops every now and then and take the occasional small dirt jump when they're available. I've never bottomed out the 5th coil shock. The 5th Air was a different story :rolleyes:

BTW - 300 lb/in. was a bit too stiff for me - I'm trying to squeeze out more small-bump sensitivity from my shock since I mostly just ride aggressive XC with this bike. I have another burly bike for freeride / DH.

Dave.

·
MTBR Mafia
1,553 Posts
sure wish i could pick up a used heckler cause i am 155 and will use my 5th coil for mostly drops, hard dh's, and dj's. i got my 5th air to do the xc stuff

·
MTBR Mafia
1,553 Posts
sure wish i could pick up a used 5th coil shock body cause i am 155 and will use itfor mostly drops, hard dh's, and dj's. i got my 5th air to do the xc stuff. that weight spring sounds perfect for me.

·
Registered
329 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
cdub said:
sure wish i could pick up a used 5th coil shock body cause i am 155 and will use itfor mostly drops, hard dh's, and dj's. i got my 5th air to do the xc stuff. that weight spring sounds perfect for me.
They're all over the MTBR classifieds in the rear shock section. But they're mostly the 2.0" stroke - not the newer 2.25" stroke.

·
MTBR Mafia
1,553 Posts
ya pretty much out of my league. but thanks for the reference. at least now i have something to look forward to, although i do not exactly have a job so money does not really come in so i might end up with an old vanilla R

·
MTBR Mafia
1,553 Posts
ya pretty much out of my league. but thanks for the reference. at least now i have something to look forward to, although i do not exactly have a job so money does not really come in so i might end up with an old vanilla R. haha. sorry for the rant

·
Registered
681 Posts
Dave99 said:
I appologize up-front for trying to pimp in the Santa Cruz forum but I've been trying to sell and trade springs for a year now in the buy and sell sections without success.

I need a steel spring - 2.25" stroke x 275 lb/in. I have two excellent condition 2.25" stroke springs - 300 lb/in. and 400 lb/in. Anyway - is anybody interested in trading springs? Or selling? Or buying springs?

Thanks!

Dave.
Dave99
I'd be willing to throw $25 bucks shipped at that 300lb spring. Unfortunately, I don't have a spring you'd want to trade for (I have 350lb 2.0" stroke spring).

·
Registered
681 Posts
MRC said:
You'll need the 2.25" stroke shock to get the proper use out of the 2.25" stroke spring.
I bought the bike used and I'm pretty sure the stroke on the shock is 2.25" but someone put the 2.0" spring on it. Right now, I have to preload the spring almost to the bottom of the threads on the shock body to get the correct sag. I'm thinking a 2.25" is what needs to be on this shock. It's a 03 Heckler. I can't find a model number on the shock to tell for sure, though.

·
Registered
329 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
campisi said:
I bought the bike used and I'm pretty sure the stroke on the shock is 2.25" but someone put the 2.0" spring on it. Right now, I have to preload the spring almost to the bottom of the threads on the shock body to get the correct sag. I'm thinking a 2.25" is what needs to be on this shock. It's a 03 Heckler. I can't find a model number on the shock to tell for sure, though.
The spring is being held for MRC who has been patiently waiting for Progressive's supply chain to birth me a 275 lb/in. x 2.25" spring. Special order and all that nonsense - it's like pulling teeth trying to find such a light spring. I must be a lot skinnier than I thought cause I'm off the map according to the Canadian supply chain.

(Sorry for the delay, Matt)

Dave.

·
Australien
285 Posts
campisi said:
Yeah, I wondered when I got my shock too how to tell...the easiest way is to wind the preload out to '0' then measure the amount of shaft between the shock body and the bumper. If it's 2.25" then you've got a newie, if it's 2.0" you've got an oldie..

·
Registered
681 Posts
MRC said:
Yeah, I wondered when I got my shock too how to tell...the easiest way is to wind the preload out to '0' then measure the amount of shaft between the shock body and the bumper. If it's 2.25" then you've got a newie, if it's 2.0" you've got an oldie..
Thanks for the tip, MRC. By your method it's a 2.25" shock. That's what I figgered. Now to find a 300lb 2.25" spring. I'm at 170lbs so 300lb spring sounds about right.

·
Registered
397 Posts
campisi said:
You may be risking damage to your shock with that much Preload. I'd get a new spring asap....

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.