Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yeah, so I know it's not really in NM, but I know the Southern NM crew gets down there... 2 of us will be in Las Cruces/El Paso this weekend, and would like to take advantage of some good winter riding! If you're not as much into DH, but want to show some out-of-towners the XC stuff (Dona Ana? Franklin Mtns??), we're into that, too!
Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
439 Posts
rkopelov said:
Yeah, so I know it's not really in NM, but I know the Southern NM crew gets down there... 2 of us will be in Las Cruces/El Paso this weekend, and would like to take advantage of some good winter riding! If you're not as much into DH, but want to show some out-of-towners the XC stuff (Dona Ana? Franklin Mtns??), we're into that, too!
Thanks in advance!
Too cold to ride, lets go climbing...

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Pics!

Jason and I had a great time down south...

Thurs, here in Albuq., we enjoyed some S. Foothills action, replete with rollers and dirt jumps:
Bicycle wheel Bicycle frame Tire Bicycle tire Bicycle fork

Tire Bicycle wheel Wheel Bicycle frame Bicycle wheel rim

Fri, we drove south, stopping in the Socorro area for some sweet riding in the Magdalena Mtns on "Trail 13" (many thanks to the guy working in the Spoke N Word bike shop in town--great directions!)
Road Mountainous landforms Mountain range Infrastructure Highland

Mountainous landforms Highland Mountain Mountain range Hill

Mountainous landforms Mountain Highland Adventure Helmet

Rock Soil Bedrock Outcrop Mountain biking

Sat., we rode in the Robledo Mtns west of Las Cruces on the SST trail system--very fun singletrack, and I even got to provide entertainment in the form of pulling prickly pear stickers out of my back for 20 minutes....:madman:
Tire Bicycle tire Wheel Bicycle wheel Bicycle frame

Clothing Tire Wheel Bicycle frame Bicycle wheel

Sleeve Sunglasses Mammal Goggles Jacket

Tire Bicycle tire Wheel Bicycle wheel rim Bicycle wheel

The scene of the crime, with the offending prickly pear at right:eek:

More pics in next post!

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
More pics!

Saturday evening we drove over to the base of A-Mountain, to the "Los Pinches" FR area--fun time! Jason (who missed out on the FR fest back in November) got to enjoy the many well-designed jumps and step-ups, and I was so busy jumping new stuff myself that I didn't pull the camera out until sunset!
Tire Bicycle wheel Bicycle frame Mountain bike Mountain biking

I think I actually DIDN'T case it this time:p
Mountainous landforms Landscape Hill Soil Ecoregion

Blasting off the tabletop (cased it even though I flew 15+ feet! the "sweet spot" is at 35 feet:eekster: )
Bicycle frame Bicycle wheel Tire Bicycle tire Mountain bike

Jason getting closer to the down ramp....
Mountainous landforms Atmosphere Astronomical object Sun Geology

Moon over the Organ Mountains.

Leo, just for you, we went climbing on Sunday:thumbsup: Found a spot in the Franklin Mtns State Park with a bunch of short sport climbs....
Rock Outcrop Bedrock Geology Formation

Started leading again!

Yesterday, we found some fun riding at the end of Redd Rd. in El Paso--even some ladders/jumps/skinnies!
Plant community Bicycle Mountain biking Trail Mountain bike

Tire Wheel Bicycle wheel Bicycle frame Bicycle tire

Wheel Bicycle wheel Mountain bike Bicycle frame Mountain biking

Human Plant community Helmet Soil Trail

·
Registered
439 Posts
rkopelov said:
Saturday evening we drove over to the base of A-Mountain, to the "Los Pinches" FR area--fun time! Jason (who missed out on the FR fest back in November) got to enjoy the many well-designed jumps and step-ups, and I was so busy jumping new stuff myself that I didn't pull the camera out until sunset!
View attachment 424028
I think I actually DIDN'T case it this time:p
View attachment 424029
Blasting off the tabletop (cased it even though I flew 15+ feet! the "sweet spot" is at 35 feet:eekster: )
View attachment 424030
Jason getting closer to the down ramp....
View attachment 424031
Moon over the Organ Mountains.

Leo, just for you, we went climbing on Sunday:thumbsup: Found a spot in the Franklin Mtns State Park with a bunch of short sport climbs....
View attachment 424032
Started leading again!

Yesterday, we found some fun riding at the end of Redd Rd. in El Paso--even some ladders/jumps/skinnies!
View attachment 424033
View attachment 424034
View attachment 424035
View attachment 424036
Nice,
We found some cool stuff in Co too...lol

Attachments

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks, guys!
Tim, WE really liked trail 13, but I don't know if other people would enjoy it like us. It's easy to find, totally isolated, in a gorgeous, forested area, BUT after the initial mile (techy steep climbs), it's a total hike-a-bike for the next 13 switchbacks (took 30-40 minutes to push up to the top). We only encountered a few shady corners with a little snow...the views were so amazing it more than made up for the unrideability, for us at least. Once on top of the mesa, the trail was totally rideable (it looks like you could do a loop up on top, too, but we didn't have the daylight to explore...), and the trail down was fast and swoopy with fun techy rock gardens thrown in--a bit like Lone Pine in Cedro through that canyon.... It was prob a total of 8-9 miles. We both thought it was pretty awesome to do a "forest ride" this time of year!

Neal, thanks! I really like my "mutt" bike, too!

Perro--that ice looks...cold?

·
Victim of Saddle Rage
620 Posts
Nice, how was the climbing at Sneeds? It's sad, we've been here 5 years and have yet to climb there.

I should have recommended Redd. Somehow I ride there too often that I just forgot about the devils trail.

I'll put trail 13 on my list of must rides for 2009.

Thanks for the pics,

RJ

·
Genius
936 Posts
rkopelov..... The second pic with the jump.... Where is that more or less in the south foothills (ie. top of copper, indian school). I ride there occasionally from I-40 north to Menaul but have never seen that jump.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
DJs

6bobby9 said:
rkopelov..... The second pic with the jump.... Where is that more or less in the south foothills (ie. top of copper, indian school). I ride there occasionally from I-40 north to Menaul but have never seen that jump.
Hey bobby--that particular jump (along with 4 or so others in the same line, plus a few other lines that need some work) is basically at the top of Indian School, a little southeast of the dam. If you're riding the easternmost foothills trail (365?) through that area, you can't miss 'em--they're all kind of down in the flood pond behind the dam.
Enjoy!

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
new friends

cannonballtrail said:
Nice, how was the climbing at Sneeds? It's sad, we've been here 5 years and have yet to climb there.

I should have recommended Redd. Somehow I ride there too often that I just forgot about the devils trail.

I'll put trail 13 on my list of must rides for 2009.

Thanks for the pics,

RJ
RJ--did we meet you at the Indian restaurant in LC? It's always cool running into people, getting the local info....
Sneed's was way fun!
Perhaps we'll run into you on a future ride down south--we definitely want to see the Dona Ana trail system....

·
glassphisheye
335 Posts
AndyN said:
Yep.

Up at the top of that hill is/was a sign that said "Devil's Trail". It starts off rocky and after the steepness mellows there are a few ladder drops...

Just below the sign
Wow! Well guess I'm the devil then. Built that a coulple years ago and used to call it the Negotiator

·
Victim of Saddle Rage
620 Posts
Yeah, it's RJ from the Indian Restaurant. PM me next time you're headed this way and I will take you on a fun Dona Ana loop. Can't wait for spring to finally come north and hit gallup and the burque.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.