Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
bump and grind
707 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My rims and tires finally arrived. Check out my Wanga 650B.

Lots of clearance here.

And I still have room at the sliders.

Lots of clearance in the Van (2006) confirmed.

And yes... those wheels are 2 cross.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Nice, so the 650b fits with the drop outs all the way up..
I just built a wanga ss as a 26, but may go this route.
Such a nice riding frame for the money isn't it

·
bump and grind
707 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the kind comments. Yes, the bike is great in that it is so versatile, rides great, and has some character. I've used it as a single speed, a road commuter, a geared trailbike, a 1x9, and now its nice that I can comfortably fit 650B tires.
I havent got a chance to ride it on a real dirt yet, but it seems promising based on my short spins around my neighborhood.

·
Baby Bear is in the house
2,069 Posts
cobym2 said:
My rims and tires finally arrived. Check out my Wanga 650B.

And yes... those wheels are 2 cross.
Nice work.

We have the same tire combo. Any particular reason you went with the Quasi out back? Did you try to see if the Neo 2.3 would fit? I reckon with the sliders in that position, the 2.3 won't.

And why only 2-cross, if I may ask?

(PS sorry for not replying to you in my BB Ruth thread. I've been down with a throat infection, and off the bike for some time now :bluefrown: : )

·
bump and grind
707 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Hi.

r1Gel said:
Nice work.

We have the same tire combo. Any particular reason you went with the Quasi out back? Did you try to see if the Neo 2.3 would fit? I reckon with the sliders in that position, the 2.3 won't.

And why only 2-cross, if I may ask?

(PS sorry for not replying to you in my BB Ruth thread. I've been down with a throat infection, and off the bike for some time now :bluefrown: : )
No problem bro. Lets ride when you get better and blow those cobwebs out of your respiratory tract. Hehe.

I thought of the Quasi in the back to be sure I could get it to fit in most slider positions, if not all. Besides, I think the Neo in the rear was a bit overkill for a hardtail.

2cross since I couldnt source the right length spokes for 3 cross early, although I have some on the way already.

As for a ride report, here goes:

I brought the wanga on a trail ride at my usual haunts (Maarat) yesterday and it was a little eye-opening.
First off, coming off 26inch semi slick racing tires, these things are a chore to pedal.
But anything is a chore to pedal after 26 inch semi slicks. :p Anyway, halfway through the climb to the top was able to find a tempo that suited the tire size and i was actually faster than most times to the top. But also more tired. :D

Uphill traction was good. Downhill on steep, rough and loose terrain, the rear broke free several times, requiring a really light touch on the rear brake. got me thinking about a Neomoto for the rear too... hmmm. :skep:

The NEO in front, however, was very commendable. It had traction galore and rolled over stuff better than a 26er, but not better than a 29er - sort of like my 2.5 downhill 26er tires.
I had a 29er with a 2.35 panaracer rampage in front, essentially the same as the NEO, which I liked also.

Handling wise, i cant distinguish the 650b from the 26 knobbies.
Comfort was marginally better than 26ers. I'm still playing with the tire pressures though.

Overall, Id say the 650b experience was good. It makes a good all-purpose trailbike. There is comfort, good traction (the Neo) and "roll factor." Kinda like a bike you can pedal all day provided you are not in a hurry. :thumbsup:
It is not that raceable, especially in courses with long climbs. On flatter courses with rough patches, by all means raceable. But if climbing and lightning acceleration are needed, the 26ers will have the advantage.

If I had a 26 trail bike and a 29er trailbike, the 650b could replace both of them, or be the odd man out. It really depends on the use.

Overall, I'm keeping them on my Wanga. I like being the odd man out. ;)

·
Baby Bear is in the house
2,069 Posts
cobym2 said:
As for a ride report, here goes:
I brought the wanga on a trail ride at my usual haunts (Maarat) yesterday and it was a little eye-opening.
First off, coming off 26inch semi slick racing tires, these things are a chore to pedal.
But anything is a chore to pedal after 26 inch semi slicks. :p Anyway, halfway through the climb to the top was able to find a tempo that suited the tire size and i was actually faster than most times to the top. But also more tired. :D

Uphill traction was good. Downhill on steep, rough and loose terrain, the rear broke free several times, requiring a really light touch on the rear brake. got me thinking about a Neomoto for the rear too... hmmm. :skep:

The NEO in front, however, was very commendable. It had traction galore and rolled over stuff better than a 26er, but not better than a 29er - sort of like my 2.5 downhill 26er tires.
I had a 29er with a 2.35 panaracer rampage in front, essentially the same as the NEO, which I liked also.

Handling wise, i cant distinguish the 650b from the 26 knobbies.
Comfort was marginally better than 26ers. I'm still playing with the tire pressures though.

Overall, Id say the 650b experience was good. It makes a good all-purpose trailbike. There is comfort, good traction (the Neo) and "roll factor." Kinda like a bike you can pedal all day provided you are not in a hurry. :thumbsup:
It is not that raceable, especially in courses with long climbs. On flatter courses with rough patches, by all means raceable. But if climbing and lightning acceleration are needed, the 26ers will have the advantage.

If I had a 26 trail bike and a 29er trailbike, the 650b could replace both of them, or be the odd man out. It really depends on the use.

Overall, I'm keeping them on my Wanga. I like being the odd man out. ;)
Your observations are very similar to mine, although my only experience with 29ers is limited to when I 69er'd my current ride just prior to the 650B conversion.
Like I said in the other thread, "rollover-ability" went down a notch from the 29er front to the current 650B, but still better than 26ers. And yes, the 650B wheelset/tire combo felt heavy from the get go. Although not surprising either, since the 26er wheels/tires they replaced were Mavic x317s (the original, 400-g race rims; not the newer, heavier versions) with WTB Nanoraptors (one of the faster rollers out there).
The rear Quasi though, was a bit of a disappointment as it tended to skid/wash out quite often. I don't know if I just need to adjust to the higher CoG some more and find my sweet spot, but I found my rear slipping on rough climbs more than once.

·
NedwannaB
12,760 Posts
2.3 fit my Bizango

r1Gel said:
Did you try to see if the Neo 2.3 would fit? I reckon with the sliders in that position, the 2.3 won't
On test fit, but running 2.1's on it now though.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts