Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
330 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It's been about a week since my last new bike thread. Seems like forever. :D

I've been selling off parts like crazy to build up my two new beauties, the Salsa DOS and now the SIR 9. The SIR took several busy days to build in between waves of customers at our shop, but I think it was worth the wait! :thumbsup:

Once again my pictures are poorly sized and not what I'd want them to be. I'm still struggling with the settings on my camera. :madman:

Build:
Niner Sir 9 medium frame
Reba Race 100mm
AM Classic SS wheels
Avid Juicy 7 brakes
Maxxis Ignitor rubber
Bontrager/Truvativ SS cranks from my Rig
Thompson Elite 410 post
Salsa Scandium stem
Salsa Pro Moto 11* sweep bars
Oury grips
Titec/Bontrager saddle

I haven't done anything more than parking lot spins so far, but I have the next 3 days off so I'll definitely be back with a ride report by Friday.
 

Attachments

·
Don't be a sheep
Joined
·
3,442 Posts
Fat Bob said:
Couple of nits.... your description calls for Juicy 7, but in the pic you have Juicy 5's.
Nope, those are 07 Juicy 7's, the dead giveaway is the red contact point adjusters. Cool looking brake this year with the new color and machined adjuster.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
13 Posts
Fat Bob said:
Also, an esthetic thing... rear skewer is reversed.

Have a great 3 days of getting that thing broken in
I'll bet the skewer is "reversed" to eliminate burning :madmax: ones hand in the case of a trailside repair, or if a quick adjustment were needed.
 

·
moe.
Joined
·
371 Posts
Dos Nine and Sir 9

I cant wait to see hear your ride reports comparing the two. In fact I can't wait to compare both myself as I ride a geared Dos and am waiting on a Sir 9 ss. Nice build - enjoy!
 

·
Harmonius Wrench
Joined
·
8,254 Posts
Skewer Placement?

Fat Bob said:
I guess the logic being that the front will never have a problem therefore put the skewer on proper up front and reverse it on the rear?
I've noticed skewers getting placed in all the posistions lately. Dirt Rag features a review on an Iron Horse Azure Comp that shows both qr skewers on the driveside- away from the disc brakes.

1. Theory that the QR's may get hot, so put the levers on the driveside

2. Theory that you may get cut up trying to open and close the skewer on the disc side, so for safety sake they go on the driveside.

3. Theory that traditional QR placement is good because........well, it's traditional!

4. Theory that you can put one on the driveside and one on the non-driveside for the reasons of..........(????)

I guess this is an unanswered question.

Sorry about the thread hi-jack!

Nice Niner, by the way. :rockon:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
330 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
7's

Fat Bob said:
Great looking bike. I really dig the Tang color.

Couple of nits.... your description calls for Juicy 7, but in the pic you have Juicy 5's. Also, an esthetic thing... rear skewer is reversed.

Have a great 3 days of getting that thing broken in
Yeah, those are the 7s. I got them through Niner with the frame. Great deal.

About the skewers, there's no real reasoning behind their current position. I just always run them that way. No reason, just do. I know it's aesthetically wrong, but I'm not too worried about that.

I'll post a ride report soon.

Thanks!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
330 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
The salsa bars

Old_Bashturd said:
My buddy just got the Tang also, very nice color. How do you like the Salsa bars?
They're great. I was using the Bonty Race Lite 12* "Big sweep" bars for a while, and these are very similar, just not oversized. They may (I say may because they're on different bikes, so I don't have good comparison) feel slightly more flexy which is fine with me.

I'm really digging all things Salsa lately. They make some groovy stuff, as does Niner. I pushed my shop's owner to carry both lines, so I'm trying to represent both as much as I can.

Ride on fellas! :thumbsup:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
330 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Perfect pair

mtntrance said:
I cant wait to see hear your ride reports comparing the two. In fact I can't wait to compare both myself as I ride a geared Dos and am waiting on a Sir 9 ss. Nice build - enjoy!
I think the DOS and the SIR will make a perfect stable, for me and I'm sure for you as well.

One super fast super light bike with a few gears and soft tail. One super plush steel single speed with quick handling but soft feel. What else could you want? :D
 

·
moe.
Joined
·
371 Posts
07 Avids...

Beckman4 said:
Yeah, those are the 7s. I got them through Niner with the frame. Great deal.

About the skewers, there's no real reasoning behind their current position. I just always run them that way. No reason, just do. I know it's aesthetically wrong, but I'm not too worried about that.

I'll post a ride report soon.

Thanks!
Cool the bike I ordered from Niner, that will not be built until Thursday becuase of the holiday and my mechanic not working on Wednesdays :mad: , should have the 07 Avids too. I am looking forward to switching out the Reba for a On One carbon fork in early July. I am anxious to see what riding rigid is like.
 

·
Reviewer/Tester
Joined
·
6,176 Posts
Nice...

Beckman4 said:
Yeah, those are the 7s. I got them through Niner with the frame. Great deal.

About the skewers, there's no real reasoning behind their current position. I just always run them that way. No reason, just do. I know it's aesthetically wrong, but I'm not too worried about that.

I'll post a ride report soon.

Thanks!
Beeeyootuful bike.. :thumbsup:

Just one little tip... change the red Avid juicy adjusters to the underside of the levers.

Why?

Because when you endo, the plastic adjuster can get broken. [been there, done that..]

Carefully remove the circlip with a small flat-bladed screwdriver, flip the adjusters over to underneath, and re-install the circlip...e z :)

R.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,040 Posts
Guitar Ted said:
I guess this is an unanswered question.

Sorry about the thread hi-jack!

Nice Niner, by the way. :rockon:
Not really, on disc brake equipped bikes, 'tis always better to keep the lever on the drive side. Reduces the likelihood of placing grubby mitts on rotors and fouling them.

Certain suspension designs and derailleurs can make it a tight fit on the back end but nevertheless, always a good idear.

Oh yeah, nice orange bike too!
 

·
Don't be a sheep
Joined
·
3,442 Posts
Soupboy said:
Not really, on disc brake equipped bikes, 'tis always better to keep the lever on the drive side. Reduces the likelihood of placing grubby mitts on rotors and fouling them.

Certain suspension designs and derailleurs can make it a tight fit on the back end but nevertheless, always a good idear.

Oh yeah, nice orange bike too!
Yep, moved mine to the non-disc side to keep my oily hands off the disc and to prevent me from accidentally leveraging off the disc and bending it.
 

·
Fo' Bidniz in da haus
Joined
·
17,282 Posts
Rainman said:
Beeeyootuful bike.. :thumbsup:

Just one little tip... change the red Avid juicy adjusters to the underside of the levers.

Why?

Because when you endo, the plastic adjuster can get broken. [been there, done that..]

Carefully remove the circlip with a small flat-bladed screwdriver, flip the adjusters over to underneath, and re-install the circlip...e z :)

R.
29ers dont/cant endo....i assume that was on a loaner bike then
 
1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top