Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,014 Posts
MacTac and carbon. What will the Chinese think of next! :p :D


All joking aside, it doesn't look all that bad. Very interested in seeing the final product. Can you share some details about how you've come along with this project thus far? Are you using a (hand?) plane to shave the walnut or ... ?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
246 Posts
So is it a Niner Air 9 Carbon and it was broken? Or what is the origin and story behind this?

It definitely looks like an A9C, minus the white or tang part of the finish, and a Niner carbon fork
 

·
Powered by ice cream.
Joined
·
6,359 Posts
crux said:
Had a unique opportunity of integrating some walnut on a carbon frame. After doing the setup, bagging and a quick finish thought I'd post the result. I know it is most likely not for everyone, but still fun as a recovery project none the less.
That thing looks awesome. Good work, thanks for sharing.
 

·
Trail Junkie
Joined
·
2,210 Posts
It looks like veneer, but none the less, I can visualize the finish product with a good clearcoat. The unidirectional carbon will accent the wood very well once clear'd! Nice touch with the saying "NINER" on the belly of the downtube! Is that wood grain aswell? The chainplate looks as if it could be copper...I think the same idea with rustic copper veneer would look really cool as well assuming you could also find some burnt orange bits to match!
 

·
Single Speed Junkie
Joined
·
3,116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
TheNightman said:
That looks great; nice job :thumbsup:
Just wondering though, is the walnut actually integrated into the frame, or are those veneers?
And what's that tan section behind the bb? Doesn't look like wood.
The wood is a veneer and bonded using the same technique used for building composite aircraft wings. With a near seamless bond the veneer is hand sanded a bit thinner then I did a layer of clear epoxy over the frame and sanded smooth. Bagging system failed late in the game so I had to do quite a bit more sanding and lost the veneer on the ST and DT. Wish it would have turned out because the finished product would have been much nicer in my eyes.

The tan section behind the BB is copper plate. Copper plate was also used for the logo on the down tube. It was late in the game when I noticed that the font was not quite correct so I stopped there and did not finish the logo on the fork or seat stays. Right now I'm working on getting the right font from the OEM.

Total weight added to the frame measured 19 grams. The copper is heavy and the epoxy is thicker than I would like. However only adding 19 grams is very reasonable. I'm sure that additional weight could be taken out of the finish quite easily. If I have a second run the objective will be in only adding 10 grams over the entire frame / fork. Second run I would also order more veneer material with a burl pattern as well giving it a completely different look.
 

·
Trail Junkie
Joined
·
2,210 Posts
The work you are doing is really quite unique! Have you thought about doing a "rustic copper" to give out a deeper, more rich color. I am not sure if that is an "antiquing" process or what, but I think the dark orange would really offset the uni-carbon! I think how you have it done presently looks great too, and I am sure getting the correct font will definitely complete the look. You really have a good vision for it, and I can see what you are aiming for! I assume you chose the copper for the belly because it pliable?
 

·
transmitter~receiver
Joined
·
9,334 Posts
crux said:
The wood is a veneer and bonded using the same technique used for building composite aircraft wings. With a near seamless bond the veneer is hand sanded a bit thinner then I did a layer of clear epoxy over the frame and sanded smooth. Bagging system failed late in the game so I had to do quite a bit more sanding and lost the veneer on the ST and DT. Wish it would have turned out because the finished product would have been much nicer in my eyes.

The tan section behind the BB is copper plate. Copper plate was also used for the logo on the down tube. It was late in the game when I noticed that the font was not quite correct so I stopped there and did not finish the logo on the fork or seat stays. Right now I'm working on getting the right font from the OEM.

Total weight added to the frame measured 19 grams. The copper is heavy and the epoxy is thicker than I would like. However only adding 19 grams is very reasonable. I'm sure that additional weight could be taken out of the finish quite easily. If I have a second run the objective will be in only adding 10 grams over the entire frame / fork. Second run I would also order more veneer material with a burl pattern as well giving it a completely different look.
relly nice work, man. :thumbsup:
 
1 - 20 of 32 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top