Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys

Well i am new to the board . So hello.

I biked half my life, BMX, quarter pipe. Then a lull and now i am getting into mountain biking.

I dont have much money so i looked around and seen the Mongoose DXR for 100 bucks. I wanted to ride, so no layaway for a good bike, i did some research on the mongoose and read many posts on here.

But what the hell ill buy this 100 bike and see how it is and how long it lasts. In the old days mongoose bikes lasted forever!

So i bought it about a 2 weeks ago, been riding about everyday , in trails and hills , sand , mud. Keeping her cleaned and greased.

So far she has held up fine. So i dont get the old walmart bike brakes in the parking lot?, check all the bolts and everything else on the bike.

So my 100 bike rides great, hasnt fell apart yet!! I know 2 weeks, well its alot longer than most replies said , i wonder why such bad press on here for cheap bikes??

So im off , to see how long this crappy 100 dollar bike lasts me.

Im officially team mongoose tester, LOL

ok guys , ride whatever, whenever. Its the rider , not the bike

·
Registered
776 Posts
Have fun dude.

There've been enough bad experiences with those to justify a lot of the warnings you read. If you're mechanically savvy and can get and keep everything adjusted and lubed, that'll go a long way. It is indeed the rider, not the bike.

Have fun and when you get sojmething better you'll know why and what instead of being one of the people who pay more and don't know what they've got.

Enjoy.

Ron

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hey

Thanx for the link bud, some good info.

Thats what im saying basicley, the 99 dollar bike gets you started, and can last a while.

You should think of it as a good thing, these walmart bikes, they help the mountain bike community grow!!!

Isnt that the idea, it grows, we get more trails or better trails and we all have fun!

No matter if you got a Trek, for 2000, or a mongoose for 99 dollars.

But as i said , its the rider, i can still ride a mean bike, like the saying says , you never forget how to ride a bike!

Ride whatever guys,
thanx for the replies

·
Registered
3 Posts
undefinedundefinedundefined
Odin909 said:
Hey guys
About 2 months ago, I decided to get back in shape. I am 63 years old and have been retired for about 1-1/2 years. I had gained weight (235#) cause I love to cook and when I cook, I love to eat. I didn't want to spend a lot on a bike until I found out how muck I would really be using it, so I bought a $99.95 K-Mart special (Honda Racing) and started riding daily. At first, i would ride about 30 minutes and cover maybe 5 miles or so. I eventually got up to doing 25 to 35 miles per day over some pretty rough terrain. Needless to say, the K-Mart special was not at all happy about being so abused. My first breakdown was flat tires. The cheap tires are so thin you could puncture them with a toothpick. Next came warped wheels. The rear wheel wobbled like a drunken sailor and I had to re-adjust the rear brake so loosely to avoid rubbing that it had almost no stopping power. That was a big mistake. After a couple of endos on rough downhill trails caused by too much front brake, I decided it was time to upgrade. I researched bikes online and came up with one I felt would better suit my needs. I purchased an Iron Horse Warrior Pro for $800 and added a few goodies so my total investment in the bike is around $1000. That's about ten times what the K-Mart special cost, but the bike rides, shifts, handles, etc, etc, etc, about 100 times better than the old beast. I love my new bike, but I'm going to give the old one a respectful funeral. It served the purpose for which I bought it.

I biked half my life, BMX, quarter pipe. Then a lull and now i am getting into mountain biking.

I dont have much money so i looked around and seen the Mongoose DXR for 100 bucks. I wanted to ride, so no layaway for a good bike, i did some research on the mongoose and read many posts on here.

But what the hell ill buy this 100 bike and see how it is and how long it lasts. In the old days mongoose bikes lasted forever!

So i bought it about a 2 weeks ago, been riding about everyday , in trails and hills , sand , mud. Keeping her cleaned and greased.

So far she has held up fine. So i dont get the old walmart bike brakes in the parking lot?, check all the bolts and everything else on the bike.

So my 100 bike rides great, hasnt fell apart yet!! I know 2 weeks, well its alot longer than most replies said , i wonder why such bad press on here for cheap bikes??

·
Registered
2,658 Posts
A complete...

Odin909 said:
Hey guys

waste of a perfectly good $100.

·
SSlow rider
319 Posts
Like the man said, he needed a cheap bike to start the hobby. I say ride on for as long as the bike lasts. Keep checking to see that everything is tuned up prior to each ride, then have fun. You can get a better bike later on.

I am against X-Mart bikes also, but I have a new found respect for their capabilities after riding with my two brothers-in-law this weekend. They each had crappy X-Mart bikes and they were adequate for the trail we rode on.

·
Phil from San Diego
581 Posts
Was in Walmart the other night and saw a young couple getting 2 of the most expensive... $139 and a $99 mongoose mtbs. I was thinking about saying something... and it was kinda funny how I almost bought a fork earlier in the same day for $250... the fork would be more expensive then both the bike combined.. lol but then I thought, they should be just fine for casual rides till they learn more about the sport.

The bikes looked pretty cool to untrained eyes, the $139 bike even had bar ends hehe.

Who's to say they wasted their money on the "cheap" bikes if they enjoy riding them and allow them to spend time together doing something fun?

And if the bikes break down w/in 90 days, I believe they could even take them back and get their money back! (not 100% sure but most other items in walmart carry a 90 day return policy)

In the mean time, I'm holding off on getting the $250 fork hehe.. I'll just ride my stock fork till it breaks. =p Think it has a 2 year warrenty. By then, I might be upgrading to a $2,000+ FS bike and thinking back how I still love my $400 crappy entry level hardtail. =)

Just ride!

Phil.

·
L1MEY
1,487 Posts
If the WalMart bike is so good, why did you just post in the "What bike to buy?" forum saying you'd just put a Haro on layaway?

You said you did your research on MTBReview, but bought the Mongoose anyway despite what you read. You should have heeded the advice here and saved that $100 to put towards a decent bike in the first place. If you really couldn't wait to ride I'm sure you could have picked up a junk bike at a garage sale for $20 which would have done as well as your $100 WalMart bike for a few weeks.

No offense, but blowing off good advice because you think you know better (or are too impatient to wait) is never going to get you anywhere. While a well looked after WalMart bike might be okay on a bike path for half an hour every Sunday afternoon, it's never going to cut it for serious trail riding. Any bike is better than no bike, but if all you can truly afford is $100, there are used bikes out there to be had at that price.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.