Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

21 - 40 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
184 Posts
I had to jump in here. That XR-75 is not worth upgrading. Not that I have a far superior bike myself. But having tried a higher end Walmart bike the Mongoose BlackComb. $300 and returned which is similar to a Status also $300 (which Toysrus sells) that XR-75 is on the very low end.

Component wise you don't even have Disc brakes which are almost standard these days

Looking at the Blackcomb and Status they use many of the same exact components on Giant and Trek Bikes Shiman EZ fire shifter Trek uses the same Shimano Acera or Atlus derailer and ProMax brakes and other use the RST Capa 8 front shock.

might be better of with those because with upgrade costs will be way more than the bike itself which is not even a high quality aluminum or hydroformed and uses nameless componenets. And you'll still have what everyone sees is a $90 Walmart blue mongoose.

The Blackcomb is not bad at $300 or on sale for $250 its rideable without any upgrades the 19" inch frame was just too uncomfortable and it was a very heavy bike

·
Registered
104 Posts
to each his own still......... if it works for you JAM ON IT, if not go higher. Mine works for me and if I choose to get a set of roxshox for it thats me, or the original poster it doesnt much matter how much they cost agaisnt the cost of the bike at least he will have some better shocks. or a better seat, or a better rear shock, what ever he decides to upgrade.
But at any rate as we can see its totally up to the rider, and everyone is different. I like my bike, and its what I could afford to pay for it and if I wanted to change something on it, I dont mind spending a few bucks on it to do so. But I like it the way it is so Im not upgrading anything. All of my noname toy parts are working just fine !!!! When I swoosh by those guys on higher end bikes they think so as well.

·
Registered
94 Posts
I agree with Iridethedirt. Most of the dudes on here are Haters. Not everybody can afford a $6K bike. Congrats on getting a bike for $20. I rode a Mongoose XR-500 from Walmart since 2000 and just reciently broke it. Not the greatest bikes out there but atleast I'm not out 5Grand on a bike.
Here's my 2cents: If you do plan on upgrading it be wise about what you buy. Try to buy parts that you can put on a better bike or frame in the future. Or parts that will last so you can sell it to some kid that is just wanting to hit the trails.
Upgrades I would make: New tires. A new front fork. Handlebar and grips. Most of these upgrades can be put on other bikes. If you upgrade the Seatpost be careful, it might not fit on your next bike.
The shifters should work fine for now but some newer stuff will work better.
That bike is gonna be heavy. Try to buy parts that will lighten your load. Try to find suff made of 7075 Aluminum. It's lighter than 6061.
Good luck and just get out and ride.
PS try not to do anything extreme w/ that bike. It will break.

·
Registered
94 Posts
And I am sure we will see it again and again. As long as Walmart sells bikes that look like hardcore mountain bike people will buy them thinking they are ready for some hard riding

·
Registered
1 Posts
Drakken_11 said:
I agree with Iridethedirt. Most of the dudes on here are Haters. Not everybody can afford a $6K bike. Congrats on getting a bike for $20. I rode a Mongoose XR-500 from Walmart since 2000 and just reciently broke it. Not the greatest bikes out there but atleast I'm not out 5Grand on a bike.
Here's my 2cents: If you do plan on upgrading it be wise about what you buy. Try to buy parts that you can put on a better bike or frame in the future. Or parts that will last so you can sell it to some kid that is just wanting to hit the trails.
Upgrades I would make: New tires. A new front fork. Handlebar and grips. Most of these upgrades can be put on other bikes. If you upgrade the Seatpost be careful, it might not fit on your next bike.
The shifters should work fine for now but some newer stuff will work better.
That bike is gonna be heavy. Try to buy parts that will lighten your load. Try to find suff made of 7075 Aluminum. It's lighter than 6061.
Good luck and just get out and ride.
PS try not to do anything extreme w/ that bike. It will break.
WHAT DO YOU MEAN BY THE WALLY WORLD GOOSE WILL BRAKE? DO YOU MEAN LIKE THE FRAME OR SOMETHING REPLACEABLE? IVE GOT ON I GOT ABOUT 3 YEARS AGO AND WAS INTERESTED IN UPGRADING TO BETTER SUSPENSION BECAUSE THE FACTORY FRONT AND BACK SUSPENSION SUCKS.

·
Registered
576 Posts
And it might hook them enough to draw them into the sport, they might buy a newer better bike the next spring and get into doing some local group rides, even some races. The Wally world gooses give the higher end gooses a very bad name, and make people judge the entire brand based on the offerings you find in Wally world. If it wasn't mongoose or schwinn logos it would just be another 200 or so dollar bike with a pogo stick rigged as suspension... But it doesn't matter if they buy a crap bike and find out riding trails is very fun, and upgrade, or that 1999 fisher with the blown out Judy, the upgrade bug finds us all, and we all buy new bikes, and we all found the sport somehow.
For me, three years ago a target schwinn got me riding again after a ten year lapse, I used to race as a teenager and always loved it. I knew I was buying an ultra low end bike, but I also knew I was fat out of shape and far from needing high end gear. It was also what I could afford. I now ride a mongoose khyber elite frame with xfusion rear shock, rockshox tora 318 coil w/uturn and my assortment of upgraded goodies from the target schwinn, as well as new parts which would not swap over or simply just needed to be replaced. Doesn't matter how the bug bites you, it eventually will, and you will find a way to get better, higher performance gear, no matter if you get the 200 dollar Wally world special, the 400 dollar entry level hardtail from your lbs, or a used set up, you will upgrade, and you will have a passion for riding.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Iridethedirt said:
And it might hook them enough to draw them into the sport, they might buy a newer better bike the next spring and get into doing some local group rides, even some races. The Wally world gooses give the higher end gooses a very bad name, and make people judge the entire brand based on the offerings you find in Wally world. If it wasn't mongoose or schwinn logos it would just be another 200 or so dollar bike with a pogo stick rigged as suspension... But it doesn't matter if they buy a crap bike and find out riding trails is very fun, and upgrade, or that 1999 fisher with the blown out Judy, the upgrade bug finds us all, and we all buy new bikes, and we all found the sport somehow.
For me, three years ago a target schwinn got me riding again after a ten year lapse, I used to race as a teenager and always loved it. I knew I was buying an ultra low end bike, but I also knew I was fat out of shape and far from needing high end gear. It was also what I could afford. I now ride a mongoose khyber elite frame with xfusion rear shock, rockshox tora 318 coil w/uturn and my assortment of upgraded goodies from the target schwinn, as well as new parts which would not swap over or simply just needed to be replaced. Doesn't matter how the bug bites you, it eventually will, and you will find a way to get better, higher performance gear, no matter if you get the 200 dollar Wally world special, the 400 dollar entry level hardtail from your lbs, or a used set up, you will upgrade, and you will have a passion for riding.
Well said I started out with a mongoose XR-75 8 years ago now I have a Homegrown there ok to get you started and thats all could afford at the time.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Umm I just bought a Mongoose XR-Comp and love it this is probably one of the best bikes I have ever had.

Attachments

·
Registered
849 Posts
jtmartino said:
Isn't that Mongoose a POS 100 dollar bike?

Depends on who owns it.... To one person it is a $100POS but to the next it is a $6000 Santa cruz:p

I own a POS Mongoose and don't plan on changing anytime soon:thumbsup: Hell it will take anything that Eric Carter can throw at it.......

·
Registered
4,720 Posts
rsullivan said:
Depends on who owns it.... To one person it is a $100POS but to the next it is a $6000 Santa cruz:p

I own a POS Mongoose and don't plan on changing anytime soon:thumbsup: Hell it will take anything that Eric Carter can throw at it.......

I agree that to some people, that bike may be a nice bike, But to say that it could take anything that Eric Carter can through at it is a joke. That bike couldnt take what I would throw at it. I know because i use to ride cheap bikes and spent more money on fixing them then if i would have just got a real bike in the first place. But, we all have to start somewhere!:thumbsup:

·
Registered
422 Posts
MikeyR said:
Umm I just bought a Mongoose XR-Comp and love it this is probably one of the best bikes I have ever had.
This being the bike where the crank-arm fell off, and you are trading in for a specialized 29'er? ;)

·
Registered
849 Posts
mullen119 said:
I agree that to some people, that bike may be a nice bike, But to say that it could take anything that Eric Carter can through at it is a joke. That bike couldnt take what I would throw at it. I know because i use to ride cheap bikes and spent more money on fixing them then if i would have just got a real bike in the first place. But, we all have to start somewhere!:thumbsup:
I didn't say HIS Mongoose could handle the abuse....I said MY mongoose can handle EC.:D :D ..Being it is one of his favorite POS Mongoose bikes.... If you know what he rides you'll understand...
But anyway... the OP has bike he can ride and have fun even if it is not a $2500+ bike. Who gives a cr_p:p :p :p :p

·
~Disc~Golf~
16,491 Posts
rsullivan said:
I didn't say HIS Mongoose could handle the abuse....I said MY mongoose can handle EC.:D :D ..Being it is one of his favorite POS Mongoose bikes.... If you know what he rides you'll understand...
But anyway... the OP has bike he can ride and have fun even if it is not a $2500+ bike. Who gives a cr_p:p :p :p :p
I know what he rides and I 'understand'
;)

BTW, I'd love a mongoose.... maybe a Boot'R?

21 - 40 of 51 Posts