Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im curious to hear some of your opinions on this. I got a new XR-75 walmart bike from a lot walmart returns we bought, and I want to hear some opinions on making walmart mongooses better...

thanks in advance!

·
May The Force Be With You
2,418 Posts
replace everything

·
2,418 Posts
i'm a shimano(xt/xtr)/marzocchi/hayes brakes fan. to up-grade the rearshock make sure you have the eye to eye measurement correct maybe look at an upgraded FOX. rims... mavic are nice, and i've had sunringle. i also have downhill straigh 8 so i got the beefy rims. look at some build kits as well, that may help alittle as well... http://go-ride.com/ there's an icon for build kits

·
2,418 Posts
just throwing it out there is all...

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
taikuodo said:
lol wish i could see the look on his face when the build kit is 10x more expensive than the bike o.o
dude. i paid 20 bucks for it and its brand new. why not do some upgrades?

·
Registered
150 Posts
fordcobra04 said:
dude. i paid 20 bucks for it and its brand new. why not do some upgrades?
Because you cant polish a turd. Honestly though, its not worth the trouble. This is coming from a mongoose rider, walmart gooses are basicly the same as those next bikes, just mongoose stickers.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
bringdoom said:
Because you cant polish a turd. Honestly though, its not worth the trouble. This is coming from a mongoose rider, walmart gooses are basicly the same as those next bikes, just mongoose stickers.

Gotcha. So Im just gonna ride it until it breaks, and buy something decent.

Thanks bringdoom!

·
Registered
150 Posts
fordcobra04 said:
Gotcha. So Im just gonna ride it until it breaks, and buy something decent.

Thanks bringdoom!

thats exactly what I would do. get your 20 worth and ride it till it breaks.

·
MountainMafia "Boss"
103 Posts
I definately think you can upgrade them, just depends which one you have. Some of the "higher end" wal-mart models are a little bit better quality that their Next bikes. You can strip one down and build up a decent bike. I've done it. Replace the rear shock an forks first. Then maybe the drive train and cock pit. It can be done, and you still some out spending less money than dropping 4K on a new FR/DH bike, which is good if your like me with a wife and kids.

·
Registered
9 Posts
i did the same 8yrs , i got a goose from walmart @ $180.00 and after a god upgrade y spend $?,000.00 MongoosePro NXDH , from low end to hight end... look for pics.

·
Registered
61 Posts
I have a 10 year old Mongoose that I got from my nephew and threw about 60-70 bucks in it and with a free Marz fork from a friend it isn't a bad starter bike. It will get me through this season and buy a nicer bike later on. Ride it to see of you are into it then decide what you want to do.

·
Registered
576 Posts
hey man, here's some solid advice from a non-gear snober.
some of those bikes are worth upgrading, some are not. being that you only spent 20 bucks and you feel like making some upgrades to the bike, I'll do my best to give you the most solid advice i can. before i go into this, you need to understand that to upgrade this bike to any kind of halfway decent, offroad worthy level, you're going to have to spend the same amount of money that could buy you a better, decently equiped mountain bike used from craigslist, ebay, or any of those sorts of methods. however, I'll still go into this...
the frame on this bike looks like it weighs quite a bit, and the rear swingarm looks to be made of steel while the rest of the frame is aluminum... the stroke of the rear shock looks VERY short meaning rear travel is very short, this may make finding an upgrade pretty tough.
step 1. upgrade that fork! i reccomend the rockshox dart series of forks, pretty cheap and they give a lot of bang for the buck. I'd say go with a Dart1.
step 2. is your seat comfortable, is the seat high enough? are you comfortable on the bike and does it fit you properly? do a search on google to find out how to make sure the bike fits you. if your seat is uncomfortable, or the seat post is too short to get the seat to the correct height, buy a new seat and seatpost. go to your LBS, not target or walmart, the seats they sell there will be no better than what is on the bike.
step 3. upgrade the rear shock. check with X-fusion for new a rear shock, or look online on ebay for something a bit more "name brand" as was mentioned earlier, you need to measure the "eye to eye" length of the rear shock, that means from center to center of the mounting holes on each end of the rear shock (if you dont have a mm rule, measure in inches, convert the fractional measurement ie: 4 1/4 = 4.25 and then type this in google "x.xin to mm" once you have this measurement, you'll also need bushing size measurements to make the shock fit the frame, a lot of times you can just re-use the ones that came on the old shock, unless the inner diameter of the eye is larger than the outside of the bushing to press through it, in which case you need new bushings.
step 4. these upgrades will probably have cost you over 300 dollars with ease by now, but if you want to keep going... we can. the crankset and bottom bracket are probably another weak link on that frame, if light duty offroad riding is all you plan to do, just put decent pedals on the bike, if you're happy with the crankset, pedals, etc... leave them alone.
step 5. by now your wheels are probably out of true, rubbing against your brake pads and the like... again, it was mentioned earlier, go with mavic, or pretty much any other name brand wheelset. there are normally some pretty decent sales on wheelsets. at this point your closing in on 400 or more dollars....

however, your bike is almost halfway decent now, but if you find yourself REALLY enjoying mountain biking, do yourself a HUGE favor and get a nicer bike. you might be able to re-coup some of the money spent by selling the upgraded parts on ebay, but you'll never get back what you spent.

I made the mistake of upgrading an unusual target frame... i spent a lot more than i anticipated and in hindsight, i should have looked for a used full suspension frame and built that up instead. i dont nessicarily regret building up this frame, but if i had to do it again I'd probably not do the same thing. my advice to you sir, is dont spend too much money on this bike, go in the order i went in, and upgrade till your happy, or like a few other folks said, ride it till it breaks and then buy a good used bike...
bottom line: just enjoy riding your bike, being outside and getting into the sport of mountain biking, its a hell of a lot of fun, dont let the gear snobs get you down...

·
Registered
24 Posts
Hand/of/Midas said:
get a good used mtn bike from a garage sale ($50). it will save you a hospital visit($10,000).
That just a stupid statement, he didnt say he was gonna do any crazy downhill riding, the the department store bikes for the most part are sturdy enough for and XC riding. Any way the only thing your going to get at a garage sale for $50 is a bike that will more than likely be a cheap bike to begin with and is beat to hell or rusted and need work and $ spent on it.

The only reason not to upgrade that bike at all is that its the cheapest Mongoose mountain bike you can get, $99 at Walmart. Some of the $200+ bike are worth a little upgrading especialy if you get them on clearance for cheap and buy your upgrades cheap on ebay, or Performance bike is good for sales on their Forte brand parts like brakes, seatposts,stems and such. I upgraded my $200 ($150 on clearance) Mongoose tactic during a half price sale and got Forte Precision seat post, Forte Team MTB v brakes front and rear, Forte Team MTB stem, and a WTB Speed V saddle for $95 dollars including tax. Then I made about $25 selling the original parts.

·
Registered
576 Posts
Vivisect_VI said:
That just a stupid statement, he didnt say he was gonna do any crazy downhill riding, the the department store bikes for the most part are sturdy enough for and XC riding. Any way the only thing your going to get at a garage sale for $50 is a bike that will more than likely be a cheap bike to begin with and is beat to hell or rusted and need work and $ spent on it.

The only reason not to upgrade that bike at all is that its the cheapest Mongoose mountain bike you can get, $99 at Walmart. Some of the $200+ bike are worth a little upgrading especialy if you get them on clearance for cheap and buy your upgrades cheap on ebay, or Performance bike is good for sales on their Forte brand parts like brakes, seatposts,stems and such. I upgraded my $200 ($150 on clearance) Mongoose tactic during a half price sale and got Forte Precision seat post, Forte Team MTB v brakes front and rear, Forte Team MTB stem, and a WTB Speed V saddle for $95 dollars including tax. Then I made about $25 selling the original parts.

I agree that the 200+ dollar bikes, in some cases, are worth upgrading. I have the older model schwinn S60 DSX, i have upgraded pretty much everything on the bike, the only things left stock are the frame, rear brakes, handlebars, brake levers and shifters, and the front deraileur. everything else, and i mean everything else, is upgraded. i already had lots of the parts (wheelset, rear deraileur, bar ends, etc....) but i still spend at least 500 bucks total between the bike and the upgrades.... buying a higher quality used bike is a better plan nearly everytime. the problem is being patient enough to find the right bike in the right size when buying used.

·
Registered
104 Posts
I got a mongoose status, which after looking at the walmart bikes is a step up from that. My bike I paid 300.00 for it has dual disk brakes (that work great) ez fire shifters (that are spot on shifting everytime), riaser bars (that are very comfortable to ride), Front shocks that (do the job I put them through), Rear suspension (that also does the job I put it through), it has some good 26x2.5 tires with light alloy rims (that I really like).

The bike looks great and rides great, some people told me on this forum that I shouldnt jump a tree root with it because its a toy bike. Well I have been having it between 4-6 months, I have been trail riding a good bit with it, jumping a home made table top and ramp in my yard with it and its just been performing wonderfully!!!

Dont let snot nose snobs that only ride bikes that are worth what I paid for my work truck discourage you, you take your newly found mongoose and upgrade what ever it is you think needs to be better and have your self some good old trail riding fun! When it goes out get you another one.

Now any crappy replies to what I have to say I hearby slap your snotty faces with a cyber SMACK!!! Before you can even utter the words your cheap mongoose is prolly performing just as good as my kona :) I shoulda bought the wife a new fridge instead PWAH! And besides if anyone of you that bad mouth economy riding fellow bikers with a three thousand dollar bike were to be riding in my neck, I would dust you on your shiney refrig expensive bike anyway with my toy bike :)

1 - 20 of 51 Posts