Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Code Burr
1,382 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've got way too many bikes sitting around in my garage now.
I'd like to hang them vertically on the wall.
I was going to mount a 2x4 to the studs and use some hooks to hold the front wheels.
What works for the hooks and would a 2x6 be better for mounting?
Anyone had a bike drop or a hook rip out of the timber?
I've seen lots of bike hooks at walmart and home depot but they screw in and i'm afraid the weight of the bikes would pull them out. I need something secure.

·
Registered
1,023 Posts
Just go to your favorite big box and buy bike hooks. They are secure and will not pull out. I've been using them for 20 years and never had one pull out. Right now there are 7 bikes hanging in my garage. A 2x4 will work fine. My bikes hang from hooks screwed into a 2x6 attached to the roof joists rather than the wall but both will work. The 2x6 is attached with two 2 1/2 inch screws at each joist. No worrys. Just do it.

·
just along for the ride
3,033 Posts
2X4 is fine, cheap hooks work great, get the vinyl coated to avoid scraching up the rims. Also predrill the hole to the right size before installing hooks. I have a few bikes up like that and they even made it through a 6.5 quake a few years ago without falling.

·
Probably drunk right now
6,753 Posts
59¢

thebronze said:
I was going to mount a 2x4 to the studs and use some hooks to hold the front wheels.
I've seen lots of bike hooks at walmart and home depot but they screw in and i'm afraid the weight of the bikes would pull them out. I need something secure.
The bike hooks work just fine. They'll hold a lot more weight than a bike, so long as they're screwed in to studs.

They cost 59¢ at Home3 Depot.

·
Glad to Be Alive
43,009 Posts
Brown_Teeth said:
2X4 is fine, cheap hooks work great, get the vinyl coated to avoid scraching up the rims. Also predrill the hole to the right size before installing hooks. I.
same here...works great

·
Registered
1,023 Posts
I like to hang my bikes from a 2x4 or 2x6 from the roof joists rather than the wall studs. I find it easier to hoist a bike up and onto the hook rather than up AND forward, especially if you have a 30+ pounder. Easier to hit the hook the first time, especially if you have your bikes packed tightly.

·
Samsonite Tester
3,993 Posts
meloh1 said:
I like to hang my bikes from a 2x4 or 2x6 from the roof joists rather than the wall studs. I find it easier to hoist a bike up and onto the hook rather than up AND forward, especially if you have a 30+ pounder. Easier to hit the hook the first time, especially if you have your bikes packed tightly.
True , the shop had both for repair storage. Way more body strain to hang them tight on wall hooks.

·
Registered
270 Posts
thebronze said:
If the walls are open studs in the garage I suggest an additional 2x4 at the "rear wheel level" This prevents the bikes from diving into the wall between studs and makes it all more stable.
Also I have seen it done where the bikes alternate up/down accross the wall . This prevents the handlebars from interfering w/each other and makes it all more compact.

·
Registered
1,023 Posts
In theory that works but in practice it's not as practical. When you've got a mixture of bikes with various sizes (wifes commuter to a tandem, road, mountain) a 2x4 just won't do the trick. Besides, there's no problem with them diving into the cavities between studs. They're just as secure and steady. I alternate my bikes but my space is pretty tight and the bikes are angled. There's still conflicts. No perfect solution and each application is different. Ya works with what ya got.

·
Team Blindspot
2,989 Posts
igorion said:
having little space an having a little daughter playing with greasy chains and disc rotors i came up with two rails on the ceiling. on those rails there are 3 sliding bike mounts, so you can push the bikes very close to each other when not needed, but you can still get them down without fiddling.
Did you make the pulley system yourself, or is the the one you buy at the store?

TIA

P.S. You realy need to check out Pushindustries new kit for your enduro.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.