Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 89 Posts

·
Registered
270 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Thought I'd share my new light. Uses two 6-die Osram ostar emitters in a machined casing. Everytime I show someone the light, they immediately say how it reminds them of the robot from the Disney movie "WALL-E", so that's pretty much what I call it now. :thumbsup:

The design:
Loudspeaker Electric blue Teal Rolling Circle

Electric blue Cylinder Graphics Engineering Drawing

Graphics Drawing

Center section completed:
Wood Hardwood Electronic device Technology Wood stain

Rear casing completed:
Wood Hardwood Wood stain Metal Rectangle

Test fit of emitters, Ledilstar lens and center/rear casing:
Technology Electronic device Light Hardwood Electronics

Ostars mounted onto center section:
Technology Electronic component Wire Circuit component Electronic engineering

Wiring inside rear casing:
Technology Electronic component Plastic Wire Cable

I decided to use TaskLED's CCHIPO driver to drive both ostars, and due to the massive size of the driver, it's been remote mounted into it's own electronics box:
Wire Electronic component Technology Circuit component Cable

Front cover completed:
Metal Composite material Gas Steel Circle

·
Registered
270 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 · (Edited)
Test fit of o-rings and glass lenses purchased from DX:
Vision care Brown Amber Reflection Circle

Completed light pics:
Electronic device Automotive lighting Headlamp Technology Light

Security Still life photography Household supply

Automotive lighting Technology Light Space Automotive light bulb

Automotive lighting Technology Light Automotive light bulb Headlamp

Technology Motorcycle accessories Teal Machine Symbol

And of course no DIY light thread is complete without beamshots!!! I'm using the external pot leads of the CCHIPO to control the light with three light settings for low, medium and high power settings:

Control Shot:
Atmosphere Darkness Black Space Black-and-white

Low Power Setting at 30 mAH current. My guess is 50-60 lumens? Perfect for breaks and chatting waiting for others in my group to regroup without blinding other riders:
Atmosphere Photograph Darkness Black Space

Mid Power Mode set to 182 mAH. Should be somewhere around 500-600 lumens:
Nature Infrastructure Road Atmosphere Darkness

High Power Mode set at 700 mAH (just shy of ~2000 lumens):
Nature Light Trail Sunlight Geology

·
Registered
270 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
I was going to originally set max power to 1000 mAH to juice it up even more, but I'm sure the light will get hotter than I would like.

Anyone who's used an Ostar know it runs hot, WAY hot, and you're probably wondering how I dealt with the heat of two Ostars. Well.... if you've put 2 and 2 together you've already noticed the thermostat in the rear casing.

Here is the back of the light:
Technology Film camera Cameras & optics Machine Camera

Themostat trips the fan on when 50°C is reached. In worst case scenario (no external air flow... basically the light sitting on my desk), the light reaches a steady state of 58°C at max power and the fan is continuously on.

The mid power mode can be run and will not trip the fan until sitting stationary on my desk for 30 minutes, at which time the thermostat turns the fan on for about 3 minutes until the temp drops about 10°C. Since this is worst case testing, I'm thinking I'll up the middle power mode to around 300 mAH or so to get 1000 lumens output for regular use.

With my 18.5V 4400 mAH pack, runtimes are 75 hours on low, 12 hours on medium, and 2.7 hours on high. This assuming driver efficiency of 85% and assuming the fan is always on for medium and high power modes.

I have no idea if I'm the first one to build a thermostat controlled actively cooled light, but it's cool if I am :)

·
Registered
344 Posts
let me be the 2nd to say what a f*** crazy light!

congratulations!! you are a real genious DIY light mate!!!:thumbsup:

:cornut: would it be possible to drive this light with an hipflex??

·
Registered
251 Posts
Whitedog1 said:
let me be the 2nd to say what a f*** crazy light!

congratulations!! you are a real genious DIY light mate!!!:thumbsup:

:cornut: would it be possible to drive this light with an hipflex??
No that wouldn't be possible, the forward voltage from a single Ostar can be as high as 24V. Since the Hipflex is step-down driver the input voltage needs to be higher then the output, but the maximum input voltage of the Hipflex is 24V. Osram Ostar's need a boost driver when used in most battery applications.
The only smaller driver I could think of is a Shark driver from The Sandwich Shoppe, but it will only work when the forward voltages match very well and the driver is properly heatsinked.

·
Registered
270 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thanks to everyone for all the comments!

Whitedog: Thanks for your comments... as super-fast stated, you can't use the hipflex to drive this light, as I have measured the total Vf of this light at 39.2 volts (19.6 volts each emitter). If you wired it up in parallel you could, but then you'd have a really small window of allowable input voltages.

msxtr: Vf was measured at 39.2 volts at the high power setting.

emtnate: Most of the people that commented when they saw the light were probably too young to know what Short Circuit is. Shall I add electronics that say "Johnny 5, alive!" when it's turned on? :)

troutie: Originally I used one Ledilstar SS and one Ledilstar Med lens. I found that the medium lens was way more spill than was needed for riding so I swiched to two SS lenses. I compared WALL-E to my quad R2 light which uses two Ledil CRS SS lenses and two CRS-M lenses and WALL-E is still way floodier than my quad R2 even though it's using all spot lenses. So to answer your question... Yes, they suffer even worse than the MCE and P7, but it works in my favor because the using only spot lenses actually gives me the exact beam pattern I was looking for. And about your reference to the size of the CCHIPO, here's the driver next to an unfinished "archelot" triple housing:

Circuit component Electronic component Electronics Technology Hardwood

Yeah my jaw nearly dropped to the floor when I got the driver in the mail and held the thing in my hand.

1 - 20 of 89 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.