Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Kathleen in AZ
5,178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Last monday I had my right hip replaced - it was being eaten away by early osteoarthritis and when the pain started to keep me from mountain biking then I knew it was time for surgery. Here it is only a week later and I am walking a mile 2x a day!! Actually, they had me walking only 5 hours after surgery. Pain from surgery has been incredibly manageable and that deep unrelenting pain from my bad joint is GONE. Modern medicine is amazing..... total hip replacement and walking that day. wow.

After surgery, my doc said that I had an "extremely muscular" rear... LOL :D I pointed out my hospital window facing south and told him it was from pedaling South Mountain. Because no muscles or tendons were cut during surgery, I have absolutely no restrictions. If I feel like I'm ready to bike, then I get to bike!! Hopefully in the next week or so I can try some flatland easy rides.

I should have digital copies of x-rays to post on Wed after my follow-up visit because none of this really matters without pictures as proof :thumbsup:

·
How do I do that?
561 Posts
Wow, wow......and wow:eek: I think it's more then just modern medicine, a fit and healthy body and a determined mind must be a huge part of it as well.:thumbsup: I know I'd probably be huge baby about the procedure and become a couch potato afterwards:p

Best wishes on the recovery!:thumbsup:

·
dirt visionary
6,509 Posts
As expected ...you'll be road riding in no time and trails won't be far after that.

·
Chunky Monkey
413 Posts
Tight Rear?

That is freaking awesome huh? Freedom of movement, no pain, (like before)! Doc? PT? people. New lease on life. :thumbsup:

Thx,
John

·
Ridin bikes is fun
784 Posts
That's awesome DG, I look forward to seeing you on the trails again soon. Hey ladies, make sure your getting enough calcium, it's good for you.

·
rock crusher
257 Posts
DG,
Anterior or posterior approach on the THA?

Regardless, 1 mi @ 1wk out is impressive!

·
Registered
2,108 Posts
Great news on the speedy recovery. Sounds like you'll be all better in no time, and able to head up this years AZSF.

·
Registered
12,869 Posts
That's great news DG. Glad to hear everything went well with your THR and that you'll be back on the bike soon.... and best yet, with no pain. Too cool.

·
Banned
5,540 Posts
DG:

Good to hear you are doing so well. I am curious how the new joint attaches to your bone structure so well in such a short time frame that you are able to physically do pretty much anything that you are able to tolerate pain wise?

Is there a picture some place of what your new hip joint looks like?

TD

·
Eroding into the trail
897 Posts
Thr

Congrats on becoming semi-bionic!
It is always great to hear of such speedy recovery after major surgery.
Hope all goes well recovery wise, just don't over do it; things need to mend well for the long run.
I saw one of these procedures on TV, it was pretty brutal looking. Modern anesthesia is a wonderful thing.
Get well soon!

1 - 20 of 47 Posts