Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
666 Posts
I remember when I really got into biking in the mid 90's that I can recall mongoose making some nice bikes.....oh well maybe there is better margin for them in making bikes for walmart

·
Registered
2,460 Posts
Looks like 27.5 wheel size is now official! :)
Malwart is at the tip of the bike market barometer once again. For $600 total you can get a 29"er, a Fat Bike, and a 27.5 just like the big boys. Only worse.

·
Registered
478 Posts
I wonder how many runs down Whistler that thing could handle. It might be fun to find out.

·
Registered
3,231 Posts
My step sons girlfriend left one of these Next FS 'bikes' at our house. I thought it felt heavy so out of curiosity I put it on my Park scale - 41 lbs.
View attachment 890904
Haha, yeah, wow! My GF years back had one, I actually did some fun trail riding with it. It was fun for what it was. Beckoned back to the old-school days when I had a full hard tail, no gears, no good brakes etc. Certainly not a "hey I have to have that bike in my quiver" but it was a fun challenge.

·
membership renounced
1,436 Posts
I remember when I really got into biking in the mid 90's that I can recall mongoose making some nice bikes.....oh well maybe there is better margin for them in making bikes for walmart
Mongoose DID make nice bikes, before selling out the Pacific bike Co in the late 90's. Destroyed the brand.

·
Registered
132 Posts
My very 1st trail ride was on a Walmart Next. I had too much fun during that initial outing to be embarrassed by my ride (despite vomiting @ the top of my first climb). My riding buddy suggested if I planned to pursue this sport I should invest in an entry level bike as it would save 10lbs compared to the Next. I took his advice and never looked back. That was 7 years ago. Now @ 46, I plan to do this as long as my body lets me.

That being said, why give a damn about a brand or a price point if it gets someone interested in a fun, healthy activity and connected to a very supportive community ( at least that has been my experience)? Passion for the sport will eventually drive an individual towards the best equipment their budget can support. Just get off your @ss, get out there and ride! You might live a longer, healthier life as a result.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts