Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
937 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I had my first "accidental" SS ride in NC last weekend when my drivetrain f-d up *again*. The gearing was a little harder than I'd like but I really really liked how I rode stuff differently.

Then, I got home Sunday night and found the brown box at my front door....with my new Unit 2-9 frame inside...the green is SOO pretty!

Now I'm going crazy waiting for this thing to be built...I'm still missing some parts, though. Most of the parts have been coming in over the last month, one or two at a time, thanks to my wonderful fiance who picked everything out and bought it for me :D

19" Kona Unit 2-9 frame
2006 Reba Race with Poploc
Jones Ti H-Bars, curved (THESE LOOK SWEEEEEEEEET!!!!)
Avid Juicy 7 brakes/levers
American Classic 29" SS wheels
Kenda Klaw 29" tires (waiting for)
Truvativ GXP SS cranks (waiting for)
Chris King *pink* headset (waiting for)
Gravity Dropper seatpost (waiting for)
Stem from extra parts bin
Terry Damselfly & Time XS pedals (waiting for)
KMC SS Chain (waiting for)

I hate trying to be patient, I'm not good at it ;) I think my FS bike will be reserved for trips to the mountains, as I'm hoping I fall in love with riding the 29er....

·
Registered
85 Posts
Well....at least you have the ability to look at your bike!!

I've been saving my pennies for a 29er and still don't have one!! Then...I had the cash....but my car broke down, then Xmas, then insurance came due blah blah....the story never ends.

I should stop visiting this forum and torturing myself!! :(

BTW.....what's your height and inseam? I'm looking to go with the 20" KM or On One frame and am 6'1". I've asked a few people....but the more advice the better for when I finally sink the cash into this baby.

Stay patient..... ;)

·
Registered
386 Posts
Yep, I have had ALL of my parts for my Dean Colonel Xlite 29er for about 2 months...still no frame. I am jones'ing big time to get out on a mountain bike again. Right now all I have is my Bianchi Reparto Corse cross bike, and my Curtlo road....a Curtlo frame I picked up is also getting fixed up with new horizontal dropouts. The wait is starting to kill me. I feel for you too.

I have to laugh at the gravity dropper seatpost. I know, I know it is really useful at times, but when a friend was thinking about buying one we mercilessly made fun of him. If you are doing freeride type downhill stuff and need to get back it is great. But this guy did not do any such stuff. In fact he reads some of my posts and probably may be bitter still about that. Sorry Dave. Anyway, you may need it for the way you ride, but it brings back some funny memories in my mind.

·
Registered
937 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
erik99 said:
What are you going to ride on for 12/24hr races now?
I don't know.........that remains to be seen. I'm not going to say that I'm only going to race on the 29er (b/c it's SS), but it might happen.....I swear I've had the worst luck with mechanicals (all geared drivetrain related).

·
Registered
937 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
OrBikbldr said:
Yep, I have had ALL of my parts for my Dean Colonel Xlite 29er for about 2 months...still no frame. I am jones'ing big time to get out on a mountain bike again. Right now all I have is my Bianchi Reparto Corse cross bike, and my Curtlo road....a Curtlo frame I picked up is also getting fixed up with new horizontal dropouts. The wait is starting to kill me. I feel for you too.

I have to laugh at the gravity dropper seatpost. I know, I know it is really useful at times, but when a friend was thinking about buying one we mercilessly made fun of him. If you are doing freeride type downhill stuff and need to get back it is great. But this guy did not do any such stuff. In fact he reads some of my posts and probably may be bitter still about that. Sorry Dave. Anyway, you may need it for the way you ride, but it brings back some funny memories in my mind.
Actually, I have a Gravity Dropper on my Kona FS bike, and I love it. I am not a free rider, but it is very useful for XC stuff too...full extension on long non-tech climbs, a little lower for better handling in technical stuff, and even lower for long steep, technical (think Pisgah-esque) descents...but go ahead, make fun of it if you want. Gravity Dropper is selling posts faster than they can make them, so *somebody* obviously likes 'em ;)

·
Registered
386 Posts
namrita said:
Actually, I have a Gravity Dropper on my Kona FS bike, and I love it. I am not a free rider, but it is very useful for XC stuff too...full extension on long non-tech climbs, a little lower for better handling in technical stuff, and even lower for long steep, technical (think Pisgah-esque) descents...but go ahead, make fun of it if you want. Gravity Dropper is selling posts faster than they can make them, so *somebody* obviously likes 'em ;)
Oh I know that they are useful and that they are selling, but....I just cant do it.

·
i heart singletrack
1,553 Posts
Oh I hear ya' there...

namrita said:
Then, I got home Sunday night and found the brown box at my front door....with my new Unit 2-9 frame inside...the green is SOO pretty!

Now I'm going crazy waiting for this thing to be built...I'm still missing some parts, though. Most of the parts have been coming in over the last month, one or two at a time, thanks to my wonderful fiance who picked everything out and bought it for me :D
I just picked up my Unit 2-9, and I'm in the same boat as you are -- jonesin' to get the bike built!!

... they really nailed the green on that frame too.

Happy building!
MG

·
Registered
128 Posts
i here ya man..

ordered my matt chester last april. been done for about 5 weeks now, still have not seen it in the mail. my waterford 29er i ordered in early november will be here before i get my mc.
frustration sets in... oh well, guess i should not forget that atleast i have the ability to get all these cool bikes thankfully :)

rick thompson

·
Registered
386 Posts
I was told earlier today that my Dean XLite will be shipping out tomorrow! He weighed it on a scale while i was on the phone. 2lbs.13ounces....wow! hope it rides well. (if not, it will be in the classified I guess.)

I post post pics when it is built, hopefully before christmas

·
Topeak-Ergon Racing
708 Posts
PoorBehavior said:
Not trying to be disrespectful but. . . 5'8" with a 34" inseam? Damn, talk about all legs.
uh! Sorry, daydreaming for a bit.. what was I saying?
Hey that's my fiancé you're talking about there :mad:

j/king....it's kinda funny to see our bikes next to each other. I'm 5'9" with a 31" inseam. That's where the Gravity Dropper comes in handy....I can lower her seat enough to actually touch the pedals with just a flick of the lever.

Totally stoked....she said yes and our frames showed up in the same weekend. The rest of the parts are order and hopefully before Xmas they will be ridable.

Eddie O

·
I always bleed like this.
496 Posts
Eddie O said:
Hey that's my fiancé you're talking about there :mad:
Eddie O
Well. . . I tried to come up with a respectful, polite and promising post for your impending doo.... uh.. your future B l i s s . .. uh, there, got it out. I could not do it though, I was not raised well. However,I am sure that every day will be wonderfull, I wish you both the best.
(If this sounded a tad fake, sorry, I just do as I am told now, original thought was put on the shelf with a couple of other items some years ago.)

Anyway, I meant no disrespect. Though I can't be sure, it is pretty solid that the "Lady" I was thinking of neither of us has ever met, but since my wife is out of thought stealing range I can dream. . . :p

1 - 20 of 33 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.