Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 60 Posts

·
MountainGoat aka OldGoat
Joined
·
832 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Last time I had to wait for Chad I got a nice Epiphany. This time the wait will be more tolerable. My brothers bike should look like this:
Frame - 07 Titus Motolite Exogrid with hydroformed chainstays, carbon seat stays, and carbon rocker
Fork - 07' Fox Talas RLC
Headset - King (red) w/spacers
Handlebar - Syntace Vector Carbon
Stem - Thomson Elite 100x5
Shifters - Sram X0 triggers
Brakeset - Avid Ultimate Carbon 160/160 rotors
Seatpost - Thomson Elite 410
Saddle - WTB Rocket V Stealth
Crankset - Shimano XTR M970 (would need crank arm length specification)
Pedals - Shimano XTR M970
Chain - XTR
F. Derailleur - Shimano XTR M970
R. Derailleur - Sram X0 med cage
Cassette - Shimano XTR M960
Wheelset - Industry Nine / Dt X4.2d rims with ceramic bearing upgrade
Skewers - Hope Stainless (your choice of color)
Tires - Kenda Nevegals 2.3 kevlar
Tubes - Kenda Butyl

If you guys ever get the chance to spend other peoples money, GO BIG:thumbsup:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
631 Posts
pachaven said:
Last time I had to wait for Chad I got a nice Epiphany. This time the wait will be more tolerable. My brothers bike should look like this:
Frame - 07 Titus Motolite Exogrid with hydroformed chainstays, carbon seat stays, and carbon rocker
Fork - 07' Fox Talas RLC
Headset - King (red) w/spacers
Handlebar - Syntace Vector Carbon
Stem - Thomson Elite 100x5
Shifters - Sram X0 triggers
Brakeset - Avid Ultimate Carbon 160/160 rotors
Seatpost - Thomson Elite 410
Saddle - WTB Rocket V Stealth
Crankset - Shimano XTR M970 (would need crank arm length specification)
Pedals - Shimano XTR M970
Chain - XTR
F. Derailleur - Shimano XTR M970
R. Derailleur - Sram X0 med cage
Cassette - Shimano XTR M960
Wheelset - Industry Nine / Dt X4.2d rims with ceramic bearing upgrade
Skewers - Hope Stainless (your choice of color)
Tires - Kenda Nevegals 2.3 kevlar
Tubes - Kenda Butyl

If you guys ever get the chance to spend other peoples money, GO BIG:thumbsup:
Sheesh!!! Has this thing trumped all others on bling factor?
 

·
Ti is addictive
Joined
·
2,894 Posts
Oh good god.......That is one beauty of a build.......

My suggestions would be to upsize the front ultimate to 180mm, I'm running the 160 on my Eleven and I think my Marta's are stronger.........

Thomson masterpiece Seatpost would also be kinda cool to have as well.......

Chad told me it was gonna be similar to mine.....but I kinda like your build better.....I'm pondering goin 970 crankset myself.......
 

·
Ti is addictive
Joined
·
2,894 Posts
simplton said:
Oh yeah. It's a beauty, no doubt about it. This one is very close....
See not all of us with Exogrid motolites pimp their rides to the max.....look at mine.....poor man parts.....Magura wheelset, .thomson elite seatpost, Raceface deus crankset, heaven's sake it's a Raceface handlebar......All cheapo parts, with a cheap plastic set of shimano pedals (545;s).............see, a budget motolite can be build if you work on it hard enough.........

:nono: :skep: :nono: :thumbsup: ;)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
631 Posts
TiEndo said:
See not all of us with Exogrid motolites pimp their rides to the max.....look at mine.....poor man parts.....Magura wheelset, .thomson elite seatpost, Raceface deus crankset, heaven's sake it's a Raceface handlebar......All cheapo parts, with a cheap plastic set of shimano pedals (545;s).............see, a budget motolite can be build if you work on it hard enough.........

:nono: :skep: :nono: :thumbsup: ;)
You're funny. I hope I didn't offend, that certainly was not my intent. So what you're describing is an Exo on the lowdown? When I got my Ti ML I spec'd it whit the AM1 kit from Titus. Only a few parts from that kit remain. And I've only had it since August! Sheesh. If I knew that my immunity to UGI was so low I'd have just gotten the frame and built it myself. I'm a weak, weak man....

simp

edit: And don't sell yourself short, TE. Your ride is VERY nice. All of them.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,207 Posts
pachaven said:
What do you think it will weigh when it is fully built? Any guesses?
32 pounds... when he ends up getting a Marzocchi fork and achieves MoFo status;) ;) . Oh, but the bottom bracket will be so high he won't be able to corner:D :D .

Is the infamous brother coming on-line so we can meet Mr. Bling ?~?

Is the Epi all dialed-in and rockin' ?~? I can't remember your comparison... I assume with the long rockers the rear was still very stiff regardless ?~? Notice any significant differences braking downhill between ICT (ahead of front wheel) and motolite's IC (between cranks and front wheel).
 

·
Hueston Woods Trail Crew
Joined
·
1,844 Posts
Why the wait?

I just ordered a small and medium exogrid Motolite on Friday. The medium is already on the way here by UPS. In my hands on Friday.
If no one else wants it, I'm thinking abou putting it in demo service for a few months. (I had been wanting a silver ano Motolite, but they're behind schedule.)
So it looks like my next demo will be exogrid.
I've never had one before., Closest thing was my first Titus Ti Racer X some years ago.
I won't go as blingy as some of you (not much money in the bike biz) but it will be a nice build.
Any suggestions for a cool build for middle-aged midwestern biker? Keep in mind I have to make room for my next bike later this spring and find a good home for the exo.
Bob

PS. Kind trade-ins welcomed. Especially ti or aluminum Titus (or Turners!)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
631 Posts
Oh Lordy. An Exo demo bike? Nice...... I wish I had gotten an Exo vs. Ti. But I'm lucky I got what I got.... Wife was gracious enough to let me spend the dough. Exo would have been a stretch to say the least.


simp
 

·
Hueston Woods Trail Crew
Joined
·
1,844 Posts
Ti to Exo

simplton said:
Oh Lordy. An Exo demo bike? Nice...... I wish I had gotten an Exo vs. Ti. But I'm lucky I got what I got.... Wife was gracious enough to let me spend the dough. Exo would have been a stretch to say the least.

simp
It's actually just a few hundred dollar upgrade if it's not custom.
Did I say that ti trade-ins are welcomed?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
631 Posts
Bikerbob.com said:
It's actually just a few hundred dollar upgrade if it's not custom.
Did I say that ti trade-ins are welcomed?
Oh man. We may need to discuss this. Regardless of what happens, I can't make a move until I figure out if my arm is going to be solid. I do have my doubts. So before I go spending large $'s, I need to make sure I can ride well and hard enough to warrant spending more.

Darn you Bob!!! :madman: :nono: :skep:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,207 Posts
simplton said:
Oh man. We may need to discuss this. Regardless of what happens, I can't make a move until I figure out if my arm is going to be solid. I do have my doubts. So before I go spending large $'s, I need to make sure I can ride well and hard enough to warrant spending more.

Darn you Bob!!! :madman: :nono: :skep:
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

oh wait a minute... on an exomoto can Titus weld some extra gussets on the head tube and slacken the HA for me ...... ?~?
 

·
MountainGoat aka OldGoat
Joined
·
832 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
All Mountain said:
Is the infamous brother coming on-line so we can meet Mr. Bling ?~?

Is the Epi all dialed-in and rockin' ?~? I can't remember your comparison... I assume with the long rockers the rear was still very stiff regardless ?~? Notice any significant differences braking downhill between ICT (ahead of front wheel) and motolite's IC (between cranks and front wheel).
No chance my brother will get into this forum. All he likes to do is ride. He basically said to me "get me a bike I will like and not be sorry I got it".

Yes the Epi is all dialed in and I love it. My bro rode it one time and that is when he gave me the green light on his bike. The bike is super stiff and sturdy. I have no idea what ICT and IC is. But the braking goes to the ML. It is hard to describe but the ML just takes a little longer to lock up the rear end. I don't know, maybe it's more active while braking. One of my dogs says the rear on the Epi sketches more than the ML and he has asked me if I notice it, but I don't. The bikes are very similar to each other. I like them both. I will jump on the Exo that my brother is getting from Chad and will do a comparison on medium size frames, Epi-v-ML:thumbsup:
 

·
Hueston Woods Trail Crew
Joined
·
1,844 Posts
Weight of Exogrid frame

pachaven said:
What do you think it will weigh when it is fully built? Any guesses?
I'll weigh the frame when it arrives on Friday, before I build it up. Then do a total with a light build.
That way you will be able to judge your similar bike's weight before it arrives in March or April. You'll have plenty of time to think about your decision.
Big congrats!
Bob
 

·
MountainGoat aka OldGoat
Joined
·
832 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
JTBAZ said:
That is truly an amazing build! That takes bling to a new level.
Thanks jtbaz! I want to ride it too. I will likely get some looks at the trail head:eekster:
 
1 - 20 of 60 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top