Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I can't wait to get this bike! I've been reading a lot about this bike and can't get enough. My LBS, which is not a dealer of Santa Cruz bikes is waiting for a return phone call so they can place my order. Is this typical? To satisfy my craving can those that have Superlight29ers please post some pics here? Thanks

·
Registered
40 Posts
No pictures, but I'm curious about the process of ordering a custom bike. I checked out the bike builder on their website...so do you use that to pick the kit/fork/color combo and then a dealer or lbs has to place the order, or will they ship direct to consumer?

How long does it take from order to bike? Seems like most people wait 4-6 weeks?

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I just heard back from my LBS. Santa Cruz is waiting for some wheels for the Dxc kit. LBS I said I should have it by the end of the month. So from contacting my LBS to me getting it will be about 5 weeks.

Portlander, I didn't order a custom bike so I'm not sure about that process. I don't think they'll ship direct to you. If you want that, go to their website and check out online dealers. I went to my LBS because they have always been good to me and I wanted to give them the business.

·
Registered
342 Posts
I can't wait to get this bike! I've been reading a lot about this bike and can't get enough. My LBS, which is not a dealer of Santa Cruz bikes is waiting for a return phone call so they can place my order. Is this typical? To satisfy my craving can those that have Superlight29ers please post some pics here? Thanks
Congrats on the new bike! I am still on the fence between the Superlight 29 and the Tallboy. What's even worse is that my LBS has the Tallboy that I want (if I decide to cough up the extra $ for it) in stock, but I don't get my "bonus" check from work for another month so I'm waiting with you. I'm sure it will be worth the wait though!

·
Registered
15 Posts
I ordered mine (frame only) through my LBS and got it 15 days later. Rode it for the first time today and I am very impressed with it.

·
Registered
372 Posts
The bike is fantastic. i have a large dxc. I switched the travel on the recon to 120mm, big difference. I also put maxxis ardent 2.4's front and rear. The crossmarks it came with are weight weenie deathtraps. The bike looks and feels like a bike costing much more than the 1800 I paid for it. The dxc has some decent parts for the price. The recon fork isn't too bad. I wish it were a through axle version but I can live with it until I kigure out which fork to upgrade to. The magura and manitou tower pro offer a 120mm through axle and I have heard some good buzz.

·
Registered
342 Posts
So my shop now has the SL with the 2012 RXC kit but they also have one coming with the 2013 kit. I think I'll wait the extra week for that one. Can't wait!

·
Registered
342 Posts
Nice looking bike! I'm glad to hear you like it. How much time did you have on the original build? Did the wheels make a big difference?

·
Registered
167 Posts
Rode the original wheels once, nothing wrong with them work fine, however the Easton wheels are lighter and made the bike feel more responsive and faster. Really no surprise, I always found that the best upgrade you can do to any bike is step up the wheels. Bike came with a heavy saddle, post, stem and handle bar. I dig Thompson equipment and just found my older WTB to more comfortable. Carbon bars cut down on trail vibration and doesn't have a harsh feeling. The 29er wheels roll great, just tweaked the OEM kit and made it feel like butter.

·
Registered
342 Posts
Nice! I have a Thompson seat post and some Easton carbon bars on my chameleon that I'll switch over to the SL as soon as I get it. I'll start looking for a deal on some wheels. Thanks for the info.

·
Registered
401 Posts
Here is mine,
Is that a special order color, or is that the regular orange? It looks red. It looks really good. Maybe it's just the camera and lighting conditions. The standard color orange that i've seen in person looks really light and faded to me, and i went for black with mine.

1 - 20 of 54 Posts