Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
420 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I do several endurance races throughout the year. I typically use liquid nutrition for my calories during these race. I can carry one bottle on my bike, which typically gives me two hours of fuel. I can carry bottles in my jersey pockets, but HATE the saggy feeling it gives...also the security of the bottles in a jersey pocket has never been inspiring to me. They always feel like they are going to fall out.

I dislike using a hydration pack because of the lack of ventilation and the neck pain that seems to creep up later in races.

Has anyone ridden with a waist pack? Seems that it would still let me carry two bottles (4 hours of fuel), tools and wouldn't be as hot...

Osprey Talon 4 Meteorite - 6pm.com

Any advice is appreciated!

·
Registered
7,467 Posts
Waist packs can be great. IMO, they have mostly fallen out of favor due to fashion.

I rode my first 100 with an old Camelbak waist model called Bandido, which used an internal reservoir. It worked great. I'm not sure about the style you're looking at that uses bottles. I think I could remove the bottle, but I'm not so sure about getting it back in late in an endurance race.

But waist packs cover your jersey pockets, and, when I can't get by with just bottles, I've ended up using small-ish Camelbaks that leave the jersey pockets exposed. Nothing is perfect, but that's what I ended up with.

·
Registered
153 Posts
I have used a Salomon XT Twin belt to carry extra bottles during races. Works well, stable and snugly holds bottles.

Only downside is during long rides it can upset my back when weight isn't evenly distributed, for example with one full and one empty bottle.

For an upcoming 24 race I have ordered a Wingnut Splitpack to address the above issue. Have one of their larger packs which has been great and hasn't caused back/shoulder discomfort.

·
V-Shaped Rut
3,178 Posts
I know you asked specifically about waist packs, but you might try a backpack that distributes weight a little better. Like this nathan which is popular with the ultra runner crowd. Light weight, tools and an extra bottle up front.

91-Bnr9BVvL._SL1500_.jpg

·
EAT MORE GRIME
(ノಠ益ಠ)ノ彡┻━┻
6,191 Posts
I have used a Salomon XT Twin belt to carry extra bottles during races. Works well, stable and snugly holds bottles.

Only downside is during long rides it can upset my back when weight isn't evenly distributed, for example with one full and one empty bottle.

For an upcoming 24 race I have ordered a Wingnut Splitpack to address the above issue. Have one of their larger packs which has been great and hasn't caused back/shoulder discomfort.
so you don't rotate sips between bottles to keep them even ? I have always made sure my bottles drain equally

·
Registered
420 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
To be honest...the neck pain is bearable...I use an Osprey which works well, it's the ventilation and overheating I'm trying to avoid. I thought the waist pack would allow more cooling.

·
Registered
153 Posts
127, no. I drink from frame bottle, swapping it out when empty. You do make a good point if only using the two waist bottles. Not an issue on shorter rides, only mentioned issue so OP would be aware it could happen.

Cheers.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Why not get some clamps for the seat post and add another bottle. You could have a small frame mounted bag made to hold tools and stuff in an unused area. Then just carry one other bottle in the jersey if you need to. I too hate bottles in the jersey, especially the side pockets.

·
Registered
7,467 Posts
Another idea is that since you use 1 bottle, try a Zefal Magnum bottle. It holds 33 ounces, which is a nice step up from the normal "large" water bottles.

Bonus: It's rarity makes it pretty easy to spot at aid stations, if you have no pit crew for hand ups.

·
Registered
420 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Another idea is that since you use 1 bottle, try a Zefal Magnum bottle. It holds 33 ounces, which is a nice step up from the normal "large" water bottles.

Bonus: It's rarity makes it pretty easy to spot at aid stations, if you have no pit crew for hand ups.
I wish that bottle would fit. I struggle to fit a 24oz bottle due to my rear shock.

·
Registered
96 Posts
I use a fanny pack, err, waist pack for MTBing. I sweat a lot and don't want a backpack sticking to my back. Plus I want to get the weight down a little lower on my hips and don't want something putting pressure on my shoulders, which I'm sensitive to. And my XTC 29er only has one water bottle cage, so I couldn't ride far with one bottle. I use an older version of the CamelBak FLASH FLO. For me 1.5L is usually enough for about two hours of riding, more or less depending on temperature. It's just large enough to carry an extra tube, multi-tool, mini-pump and CO2, maybe a gel pack or two, along with my Droid Razr for Strava tracks. It sits low enough that I can also access stuff in my pockets.

Drawback is that it does flop around a bit, but I figure it's no worse than a backpack. It's also not the most convenient to get the bladder in and out of the pouch to refill at aid stations, but neither is it too difficult. Only other negative is the drink tube is a little on the short side for riding, but that's easily replaceable if that's a real problem.

Yes, it's not the most stylish, but I don't particularly care about that. I'm not trying to get style points, my goal is to enjoy the ride and finish strong.

·
Registered
3,486 Posts
Mountainsmith lumbar packs (tour or day)+strapettes. Reflective material made from recycled plastic soda bottles, plenty of room to store or strap stuff onto the bag. My main reason for using the pack is that the weight is off my shoulders so my back isn't as strained on longer rides. I've used a camelback unbottle in the main compartment of my day pack running the hose up alongside my torso to my mouth. I'm sure you can figure out a better way if need be. I've known some peoplea to have them for years and wouldn't want anything else. Mountainsmith used to have a few different models with different features, but now it seems only the tour and day pack are around. Solid option IMO.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts