Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
I am a pathetic rider...
644 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, so I took a pretty nasty fall off of a skinny and really tore up the side of my face and shoulder. I was wearing a Giro Rift, but thats only a XC Lid, and to be fair its a relatively tame trail, I just picked a really stupid time to hit my brakes. So now I am looking around for more protection seeing as how I am planning to do some more DH and FR. I mainly need three things, two of which I already have. I have 661 Full Comp helmet that I ordered off of chainlove, and I basically am committed to purchasing a Leatt Club Neckbrace once I can get to Iron Pony to try it on. now comes the armor. I am not sure what my budget is, but value is important. I am about 6' and 240lbs, but I am not all that fat. I am not about to say I am all muscle, but my bone structure is just very big, and thats where I am concerned that finding a neck brace and suit of armor would cause problems. I have pretty broad shoulders and a thickish neck. My chest is very thick as well. I usually wear XL t-shirts pretty comfortably, XXL's are loose, but L's tend to fit me pretty tightly. I want something with spine protection(duh) and some chest plates. I probably wouldn't wear the suit for trail riding, so heat/ventilation is not a huge deal. I would like chest plates b/c by far my most frequently occuring nightmare/worst case scenario is that I go down and somehow take a barend to the chest. My #1 priority is fit, and then after that it absolutely has to work well with a Leatt brace. Do any of you guys have some suggestions? I am kind of buying blind here, as there are no FR shops around me that stock armor.

·
NOT Team Sanchez
1,973 Posts
Leatt makes a shoulder/roost guard specifically for the neck brace, I believe they link into each other.........however, it doesn't look like it'd offer much protection. I have a lot of armor;

661 lite roost guard
661 pressure suit
Skeletools pressure suit
Race Face pressure suit
Axo pressure suit
O'neal pressure suit

I like the Axo best, It's super nice and adjustable.......it has some side rib and frontal clavicle protection that I haven't seen in many others.........in addition the neck is clear of anything that would impede a neck brack that I can tell. I bought it on ebay for a great deal, look up axo under sporting goods and you'll see them.

I'm 5'11 and 230, so I think our build may be similar and I run an XL comfortably.

·
Pivotal figure
6,361 Posts
You should definitely try out the brace and armor at the same time if at all possible. My friend tried wearing his with a 661 pressure suit and had some issues with the spine guard clearing. Maybe try calling Leatt direct to see what they suggest?

·
Capricious youth...
3,814 Posts
For the Leatt to work with the spine guard/turtle shell, I think that they recommend that you slip the Leatt in between the actual mesh of the suit (so it doesn't pull the suit against he front of your neck) and the turtle shell. It also helps keep it in place.

·
Registered
531 Posts
661 Core Saver with some decent elbow/forearm guards. That would be comfortable for you while still protecting all the right parts.

I have very broad and thick shoulders and I haven't found a pressure suit with shoulder pads that fits right or is comfortable. The RockGardn Trailstar is very comfortable though but I'm not sure that would offer the kind of protection you're looking for.

·
Ideas Above My Station...
1,506 Posts
POC VPD tee. Amazing.

Lightweight, comfy, and the Visco-Elastomer Polymer dough, while sounding like a marketing gimmick, is amazing and works better than any other i've ever tried, whilst being the most comfortable.

Can't say enough good things. Blows the 661 stuff out of the water, and the 4 guys i went to the mega with agreed, and they all wear 661 and Dianese.

·
Premium Member
1,842 Posts
I have a Leatt Club I run with a Giro Remedy and a Core Saver. I wanted to get the POC VPD but the cost is pretty crazy; I splurged on neck protection over core protection. The nice thing about the Core Saver is you can remove the top 3 spine protection pieces to clear the Leatt brace.

·
I am a pathetic rider...
644 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Chumba15 said:
How much did that helmet cost you on chainlove?
39 and some change. I just want to give a shoutout to chainlove and their awesome customer service too. I accidentally ordered the wrong size, and they are sending the right size out to me ASAP, so that i can pick which one will fit better, then sned the worse back. Thanks for the advice so far guys.

·
Registered
548 Posts
b4 stealth said:
39 and some change. I just want to give a shoutout to chainlove and their awesome customer service too. I accidentally ordered the wrong size, and they are sending the right size out to me ASAP, so that i can pick which one will fit better, then sned the worse back. Thanks for the advice so far guys.
They have some killer deals... I need a new set of gloves and just missed a good set for 7 bucks earlier :madman:

·
Registered
49 Posts
I wear a Leatt Brace; a Bell "Drop" helmet; and use the Dianese jacket...I'm not sure what "model"...it has the hard shell shoulders, elbows and the back plate. I put the neck brace on first and the Dianese next...once I zip up the Dianese it snugs the Leatt Brace right up. When you try your Leatt Brace...take your helmet...I believe some restrictions occur with certain helmets. Just a suggestion...if you are able to check out used stuff for an upper armor jacket it could save you lots. I bought my Dianese jacket for $100...they retailed for $600(Cdn.)...it needed some minor sewing...and it was as good as new. Good luck.

·
Registered
348 Posts
+1 for the 661 core saver with the leatt. I just purchased this combo and it's the best, most comfortable combination i've had. I had the pressure suit and the rock gardn flak jacket previously and both felt far more bulky and restricting. The core saver protects all the right spots and you can remove the top to spine plates for the leatt brace to fit and it works really well. Just had 3 days at whistler with it on all day and it was great.

also, i'm 6'1" 235, so i'm in the same size category :)

·
Ideas Above My Station...
1,506 Posts
I have a Leatt Club I run with a Giro Remedy and a Core Saver. I wanted to get the POC VPD but the cost is pretty crazy; I splurged on neck protection over core protection. The nice thing about the Core Saver is you can remove the top 3 spine protection pieces to clear the Leatt brace.
Yeah its pricey but only £25 more than the 661 Pro Suit over here, and absolutely worth that extra!!

I couple this with my Carbon D2 and 661 leg/shins and arms (not so fussed about them, the large size nearly cut off the blood to my feet!) and feel pretty damn well protected!

·
I am a pathetic rider...
644 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Does the Core Saver from 661 protect your shoulders? It only looks like it protects your, wel, core and spine.

·
Registered
11 Posts
b4 stealth said:
Does the Core Saver from 661 protect your shoulders? It only looks like it protects your, wel, core and spine.
I'm wondering the same thing. I've been checking into it but I don't know anybody who uses it so any insight would be much appreciated!

·
otb member
330 Posts
6'2" 225.
Love my Rock Gardn Flak Jacket. XL Fits great, is semi cool and stays in place. Wear it only on DH, but wear the detachable elbow/arm protection a lot more.

Check out Ride SFO. They've got a good selection and are a bunch of really cool cats.
www.ridesfo.com

1 - 20 of 23 Posts