Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, new to biking here and I'm looking for a good bike to learn on and build on. Is the Wahoo Disc just that? I'm looking to not spend a whole lot just for the chance of not sticking with riding. Want something that will last but I can build on as I advance. I live in FL and will be riding mainly in South Florida(lots of sugar sand and scrubs) Any help on picking out a bike or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. One last thing, I'm 5'10 and inseem of about 31. What size you think?

Justin

·
Registered
1,496 Posts
i think the wahoo is a good starting point. nice entry level bike. you'll find as long as you stick to a lbs-type brand you'll be pleased- you may as well look at other bikes in the $600-$650 range because some bikes will feel better than others. also, look for some 2008s to save some cash or get the next level up.

size-wise, always be sure to try a couple different sizes, but i would think a 17.5" or maybe a 19"- depends how you fit on it obviously- i'm 6'4 with a 32-33 inseam with longer arms- a 19" fits me better than a 21" and i just have to probably swap out a stem.

you'll see with the wahoo, everything is fairly basic- front suspension isn't that good, but good enough for you to play around and get out on the trails. the components you'll find are basic too- may need some more adjusting here and there. just keep your bike clean and that works wonders with shifting.

good luck and enjoy!

·
Registered
459 Posts
I purchased a Wahoo Disc last year and have been using it for 6 months or so. I found it to be a good starting bike that allows me to improve my skills without running into any real limits.

Couple of things to keep in mind. The fork and the brakes will probably leave something to be desired. They are not terrible by any means, but definite weak points of the bike. The rest of the components are solid though and unless really concerned about weight upgrading the parts at the start is trivial and a waste of money. If I had to do it all again, I would have gotten a higher model like the Marlin or the Piranha since upgrading this bike would get it into the same price bracket as those.

As far as size goes, I think you'd be quite comfortable with a 17.5", possibly a 19" but it might be a bit long since the Genesis series of bikes have longer top tube to height ratio. I myself run 17.5" at 5'11" and 32" inseam and have no problems for maneuverability. Best bet is to go to the shop and test out any Genesis designated hardtail for fit.

·
Registered
6 Posts
OOOHH NOO, SHOP Around First!!!!! I had an LBS go down to $680 when looking to buy a MarlinDisc----So if you are already spending 600, an extra 80 could get you a 9-speed with 'grown-up' deraliers, shifters, wheels, better brake set!!! I got a Piranha for $775--so I went with that... It was a no-brainer..... Especially in today's economy, you have to SHOP Around!! You'll be GLAD you DID.... I Was!!!

·
Registered
194 Posts
HT... I think you're failing to realize that the 09' hardtails underwent a significant redesign and also all cost between 10-15% more this year (dealer cost increases suck)... there will be no $680 marlin's to be had this year. Fisher and Trek (and everyone else really) had to pay more for materials the last three consecutive years and every year prices go up at least 10%.

When I saw this years models on our online ordering system there was a bit of sticker shock to put it lightly...

·
Registered
6 Posts
JAKE... I think you're failing to realize the 'effects' of one George Bush Jr.... This guy found a 2009 MarlinDisc for $675-- 2 months ago!!

http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=449460&highlight=2009+marlin+disc

There should now be $580 Marlin's to be had this year!! It is time for a Change(especially at GF Dealers, because the non-Fisher dealers have MADE THE CHANGE!).. So I must ask all these GF Dealers who will not take a 'penny' off the M.S.R.P.--, "What's Up??" In fact, it was this very commercial I was watching before I went out looking for my 2009' GF Piranha(which put everything into perspective)...

When I saw and 'still see' the 'unwillingness' to give ANY sort of a discount by some GF dealers, there is 'more' than a bit of shock--to put it lightly.... I just told them to give me the 'George Bush Jr.' discount, meaning it should be free!!

·
Registered
194 Posts
I'm glad you equate China's tax increases with George Bush, You're totally in the game!
Bike shops have to maintain a certain margin over cost to pay for all the free service they give (as part of their contractual obligations to be dealers) and the MSRP is set by TCG (the owners of trek, fisher, bontrager, klien, etc) not the dealer. There is also a "suggested retail" but it's only $50-$100 less than MSRP. Further considering that there's no money to be made in accessories thanks to pricepoint and jenson, you have to make your money on your bikes. I've been at this for over 10 years and I'm fully aware of the nature of the game. Some dealers will undercut on one brand to get people in the door, we used to do that with Giants, but you can't sell them all that cheap or you get to lock the doors forever. Yeah, there might be a few deals to be had if someone orders too much of a certain bike and gets hung with it or you ask for closeouts (lots of hifi's right now) or they don't plan on being open much longer (the latter is how I scored a Bianchi Grizzly at 10% over cost)... overall though, most dealers can't afford to give bikes away.

As to the mentioned guy... he bought 2 bikes at the same time, that'll almost always get you a deal... especially if one of them is over a year old, considering the dealer doesn't want to pay taxes on the same bike twice.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.