Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
363 Posts
Hmm... While checking through some older threads for more crank/BB info I ran across this discussion.

I think that both of you guys are wrong. The Team Issue Megaxo is heavier than XT, but the K-Force Megaexo crankset from FSA is lighter than XT. Remember this post http://forums.mtbr.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=75912&stc=1&d=1115644314 , and this picture from Ventanarama confirming this a while back?

The K-Force is just a bit lighter stock than the Stock XT setup (≈865g). A ligher weight, integrated alternative would be the RaceFace Deus XC at only 830g stock +/- a few grams. Of course there are also XTR FC-M960 and the FRM integrated cranks that are supposed to be about the same weight. The XTRs are supposed to be much stiffer than the FRMs and can probably be found cheaper, but the replacement rings are much more rare and more expensive.

I'm researching all these new systems like mad right now trying to make sure I am choosing the right set for my newest build, but the field of choices is a bit confusing right now... I'm going to have to post another thread now asking about BB compatibility between Race Face's and Shimano's integrated systems and also looking for exact weight breakdowns of crank arms rings, BBs/cups and bolts to see what tuning can be done by component swaps (for lightweight, durability and ease of installation and maintenance) and go from there...::confused:

·
Weight Weenie Shop Owner
2,006 Posts
Do a search on the TEAM MegaExo that I posted a month or so ago.
I broke the set down and posted pics of each part individually.

I THINK the only differnce in weight between the TEAM and K-Force is the rings and minimal weight differnce on the arms. Might be 20g or less.

The BB are the same as well as chainring bolts.
Here is a few pics:

e-mail me and I will send a link of the pics on my site.

·
Registered
363 Posts
DIRT BOY said:
Do a search on the TEAM MegaExo that I posted a month or so ago.
I broke the set down and posted pics of each part individually.

I THINK the only differnce in weight between the TEAM and K-Force is the rings and minimal weight differnce on the arms. Might be 20g or less.

The BB are the same as well as chainring bolts.
Here is a few pics:

e-mail me and I will send a link of the pics on my site.
I actually read this whole post as well--that's why I was suprised by these answers you guys gave. Clearly the Team crankset is 100g heavier than the K Force crankset (wasn't he asking specifically about the KForce?)--or am I wrong here?

I guess what should really be asked, again, is how much do just the crank arms of each setup weigh, without the rings, and can one really use the BB from the other to save some weight?

Culbaire and some others seem to have been able to interchange the BBs between Deus and XTR/Dura-Ace. From what I've read so far, Truvativ has gone proprietary with their BB and it cannot be interchanged with all the other integrated cranksets. I've also seen people using RaceFace BBs with their XTR integrated cranks with no problems.

From Culbaire's post, the Race Face BB seems to weigh about 108g and the Deus crankarms weigh only 550g for both sides without rings or bolts. What are the weights for XT, XTR, Dura-Ace (98g BB?), Team Megaexo and KForce Megaexo for those same exact parts (no rings or chainring bolts)? Does anyone have those weights and know for sure about the interchangeabiltiy? How will I be effected if I want to run 2x9 as far as my chainline goes? I know I can get a 30t or 31t ring from Boone for the XTR cranks, but is it worth it? What's the point if I can run a Deus crank with a Dura-Ace BB and say Extralite rings 2x9 and be even lighter than XTR by 30 or more grams? I also know that I can get Phil Wood bearings and/or Enduro Seals for these BBs now as well from reading posts all over the forums.

Between all of these, I'm not worried at all about durability or stiffness. They are all at least as stiff as my old ISIS/RF Turbine setup. All of them have been pretty well proven for a over a year or more now (except for this pesky pedal thread thing I keep hearing about with the MegaExo carbon cranks...). I just want a simple, durable setup--at the lightest weight possible. :D

·
Banned
5,770 Posts
details on Token...

AZ-X said:
I guess what should really be asked, again, is how much do just the crank arms of each setup weigh, without the rings, and can one really use the BB from the other to save some weight?
the prices of those Megaexo cranks are insane for what you get.

below are some detailed weights for those Token cranks:
complete set: 784g
same with optional aluminium chainringbolts: 764g
BB: 99g
Chainrings (44,32,22): 135g (there's at least 20g to be shaved on them...)

Attachments

·
Registered
363 Posts
nino said:
the prices of those Megaexo cranks are insane for what you get.

below are some detailed weights for those Token cranks:
complete set: 784g
same with optional aluminium chainringbolts: 764g
BB: 99g
Chainrings (44,32,22): 135g (there's at least 20g to be shaved on them...)
Thanks nino but the extremely thin profile of those crankarms, frankly, disturbs me. They may be OK for a light rider who is only interested in getting from the start to the finish without taking any fun jumps, drops or risks at all. If you are a lightweight racer, or a casual commuter, they may do just fine, but I don't think that they are for me right now. Someone would have to test those for a long time before I'd be convinced to trust a design like that. You'll notice that the Extralites aren't on my list either--and it's not because of the price.

However, I do appreciate this post of your's that I just found again about the XT weights:

http://forums.mtbr.com/showpost.php?p=1439133&postcount=2

Gives a bit more info to go on. Still trying to find out about compatability across the board and seperate crank arm and BB weights...

·
Registered
363 Posts
How much does do the crank arms alone weigh in the XT setup? What's the weight of just the BB cups, spacers and tube?

·
Banned
5,770 Posts
q-factor!!

AZ-X said:
How much does do the crank arms alone weigh in the XT setup? What's the weight of just the BB cups, spacers and tube?

honestly - even if the XT would be reasonably light (which they aren't) i would never ever mount them. the q-factor of 180mm is 15mm more than a usual q-factor of regular triple cranksets. that's before outside bearings came into play making all those cranks much wider. i had the pictured XTs on my winterbike but after just 2 rides got rid of them. the 15mm added width was definitely way too much for me to accept. XT may be stiff, reasonably light, durable, pricewise ok...but they're definitely too wide. add a set of eggbeaters which are another 4mm wider per side and you get a 25mm wider feet position than on a regular bike. that's a big NO from me:nono:

·
Registered
363 Posts
nino said:
honestly - even if the XT would be reasonably light (which they aren't) i would never ever mount them. the q-factor of 180mm is 15mm more than a usual q-factor of regular triple cranksets. that's before outside bearings came into play making all those cranks much wider. i had the pictured XTs on my winterbike but after just 2 rides got rid of them. the 15mm added width was definitely way too much for me to accept. XT may be stiff, reasonably light, durable, pricewise ok...but they're definitely too wide. add a set of eggbeaters which are another 4mm wider per side and you get a 25mm wider feet position than on a regular bike. that's a big NO from me:nono:
Ok. Thanks, nino.

Does anybody have the individual weights for XT, XTR and KForce MegaExo for BB and crankarms alone? Again, here are the weights for Deus posted before by Culbaire:

CulBaire's Stock Deus:
Crankarms: 550g
Bottem Bracket: 114g
Chain Rings:
-Small: 22g
--Middle: 43g
---Large: 90g
Chainring Bolts: 18g
-----------------------------------
Total = 837g

Using Extralite Parts:
Crankarms: 550g
Bottem Bracket: 106g -- Shell removed
Chain Rings:
-Small: 22g -- Stock
--Middle: 30g -- Extralight Octaramp 32T
---Large: 63g -- Extralight Octaramp 42T
Chainring Bolts: 12g
--------------------------------------------------------------------
Total Weight = 783g

·
Weight Weenie Shop Owner
2,006 Posts
Whoops, I read it wrong too. The XT are 21g heavier!

I don't trust the Token either. Most carbon parts I have gotten from them had real bad QC issues except for the saddles.

·
Registered
363 Posts
Ok, now we're getting somewhere. Found this post from Split from '04: http://forums.mtbr.com/showpost.php?p=98628&postcount=6

It seems that the XTR/Dura-Ace/Ultegra BBs are all within a gram or so of each other.

Now just looking for the weights of the crank arms with spindle for XTR, XT, and K-Force MegaExo without rings or bolts...

·
Weight Weenie Shop Owner
2,006 Posts
The Team are heavier due to the chainrings and a few grams in the arms.

if you wnat to save a few bucks, then get the TEAM or K-Force if you wnat the lighters carbon arms.

If you don't mind aluminum, then the RF Dues with Shimano BBs.

·
Weight Weenie Shop Owner
2,006 Posts
XTR sucks beacuse of the ring size. The 2007 XTR will use the 104/64 BCD, so weight if you want lighetr XTR set.

·
Registered
363 Posts
DIRT BOY said:
Whoops, I read it wrong too. The XT are just a bit heavier!

]
Thanks for the pics DB! That narrows it down. Between your picture and ninos, we can see that the XT crank arms must weigh just slightly over 600g. This clearly puts them at 50g or more heavier than the Race Face Deus arms according to Culbaire's numbers. The BBs for the Shimano cranksets are clearly a bit lighter.

I also read that awesome post by Macsi about how he machined, polished and reduced the Q-factor of his LX cranks : http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=101076&highlight=LX+polishing

He ended up with a setup of only 793g after replacing the rings as well. Just awe inspiring what some people are willing to do! He did it right though--no holes drilled through the middle of the crank arms or anything...:p

Now just looking for the weight of the M960 XTR arms and spindle without rings or bolts... If we could just get the weight of the rings and bolts we'd know...

·
Registered
363 Posts
DIRT BOY said:
The Team are heavier due to the chainrings and a few grams in the arms.

if you wnat to save a few bucks, then get the TEAM or K-Force if you wnat the lighters carbon arms.

If you don't mind aluminum, then the RF Dues with Shimano BBs.
You're right--it's coming down to that now. I may just throw on an old C'dale square taper with a Ti BB that I've got sitting in my parts bin until the new cranks come out this fall...

Still like to know what the XTR M960's weigh, as well as the FSA Team and KForce for just the arms without rings or bolts. Maybe you have the weight of just the rings? I'll look back at your previous post about the Teams again... We could finally put an end to posts like mine asking this question ans post all the info on Weightweenies:thumbsup:

Edit: Ok-- going back to your previous post on the Team MegaExo carbon weight, we can see that the entire crank/BB setup weighs 948g. The rings weigh 138g (and I'll throw in at least 12g for the chainring bolts that don't seem to be on the scale in that pic) so 150g with bolts. The BB seems to weigh in at 152g with cups, spacers and tube. That would leave the crank arms alone weighing about 646g. So far, the heaviest of all... Even Extralite rings and a Shimano BB couldn't bring these cranks into XTR or Deuce territory...:( Hopefully, the KForce arms really are lighter.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.