Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am interested in upgrading to the Vuelta Team wheels on my Fantom comp. My question is, can I use a 2.1 tire on them? I think the Team wheel is 19mm, the next wheel down, vuelta pro sl are 25 mm.
Also, for you guys that have bikes with those wheels on them, how do you like them? I am 185lbs. I stick pretty much to the local trail. Take small jumps once in a while. Nothing crazy. But need wheels that can take a moderate amount of punishment.
Thanks in advance

·
Registered
4,027 Posts
The Vuelta Team wheels are very tough, I loved them so much I have two pairs. I weigh 190 and these things have just been great. My friend also bought a pair when he saw how tough they were. He jumped a creek bed and totally botched the landing and smashed his front wheel pulling the tire bead off and blowing up the tube. But his Team wheels stayed perfectly true! The Team wheels will take up to a 2.3 tire, so you will be fine with a 2.1. The only problem I had was the freehub which my cassette chewed up because it was made of lightweight aluminum. I got a replacement freehub from bikesisland which was made of steel, which unfortunately is 80g heavier, but I think it is worth the extra strength.

·
HTFU!
755 Posts
I too have the Vuelta Team wheels and they arrived on my Fantom Team perfectly true and have been solid thus far (approx. 350 trail miles). I ride trails with a lot of tree roots, some trails with gnarly rock sections, and I hit every jump on the trail; the rims have been worry free. I now weigh approx. 170 but (to toot my own horn), at one point was up to 193 (long story). I am sure my wheels appreciate the weight loss (as does my wife). ;)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.