Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
1,353 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just wondering how many of us VT riders are still around 3years after the end of production?

My 03' VT2 is still going strong after many upgrades, new legs up front (Fox Talas RLC), new feet (sunringle wheel set/XT hubs), new tranny (Sram X9 shifters & rear deralliur), among others? Rides better than ever, maybe cause it's engine it finally in better shape. The bike is all scratched up just like it's rider, we've become use to each others little quirks, the bike patiently endures my off trail antics and I ignore it's chainsucking onriness.

Gaint got it right with this one.

Happy Trails
Jolly

·
Registered
6,834 Posts
jollybeggar said:
Just wondering how many of us VT riders are still around 3years after the end of production?

My 03' VT2 is still going strong after many upgrades, new legs up front (Fox Talas RLC), new feet (sunringle wheel set/XT hubs), new tranny (Sram X9 shifters & rear deralliur), among others? Rides better than ever, maybe cause it's engine it finally in better shape. The bike is all scratched up just like it's rider, we've become use to each others little quirks, the bike patiently endures my off trail antics and I ignore it's chainsucking onriness.

Gaint got it right with this one.

Happy Trails
Jolly
Yeah, us Reign X riders are so jealous :p

·
Registered
1,353 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hey! Reign

Hey its fine if you've got a Reign, it might be a better bike than the VT, all I'm saying is the VT still rocks after all these years. I've seen more photos of trashed Reigns than trashed VTs but that might be because you Reign owners ride harder. My VT serves me well as an all day trail bike. It handles everything it was designed for and more, climbs like a goat, rails the downhill.

I hope you Reign owners are having as much fun with your bikes as I am with my VT, and I hope your Reign keeps going after 4years of tearing up the trails like my VT has.

Happy Trails
Jolly

·
I AM I AM
2,222 Posts
Isn't the VT a 5" trail bike? Reign X is hardly comparable, just like comparing it to a FSRXC?

I entered the whole dual suspension market after the VT was gone so don't really know.

It's always good to hear someone appreciates their bike after owning it for quite a while like that. Iv'e only had my trance for a year (had my Hardrock Comp for 5yrs previously) and I hope I still love the trance in 4yrs time and more as I do now.

Doesn't matter what you've got as long as it suits your riding style and trails and most importantly is fun or rewarding to ride. Of course a makeover in time doesn't hurt one bit, and that's what it comes down to eventurally, giving the current trusty steed a makeover and some new bits or buying a completely new steed.

·
Registered
1,353 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
5.75inches

It's actually got 5" or 5.75" of rear travel. I ride mine in the 5" setting, never needed more for trail riding. It will handle a two foot drop in that setting, the bike isn't designed for more than that.

Funning I haven't heard from another VT owner, maybe there out tearing up the trails on their VTs

Jolly

·
I AM I AM
2,222 Posts
It's kind of funny hanging around on these forums. I generally can't ride on the weekends when my husband is working as I have two little kids to look after (I ride out the back with the kids instead). But something I certainly have noticed (more so on the Aussie forums I frequent) is that posting drops of quite a bit when the weekend rolls around, and you've got it, generally a sign that people are out riding!

·
Motion activated
3,252 Posts
jollybeggar said:
I've seen more photos of trashed Reigns than trashed VTs ...
Aside from the (easily fixed) bearing issue, I haven't seen any trashed Reigns :confused:

Not saying it can't happen, but I'm honestly curious what you've seen or heard.

BTW awesome that you're still loving your old VT. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
682 Posts
No more VT for me. There was nothing wrong with it, just found a nice Intense 5.5 frame on clearnance so I switched.

Other than that, I'd still be on the VT.

·
Registered
726 Posts
I want to see a pic of a VT, post em up.

·
Incredulous bastard
259 Posts
Steve71 said:
jollybeggar said:
I've seen more photos of trashed Reigns than trashed VTs but that might be because you Reign owners ride harder.
I haven't seen any trashed Reigns
My trash'd VT.

My trash'd Reign.

The VT was a right nice bicycle. I was a huge fan of the VT for the 2 years that I rode it. It wasn't until I started riding the Reign and later put a good 160mm fork on it (Wotan), that I decided that I enjoy a fairly slack geometry for even tight northeast singletrack. So I don't think I'd like the VT now, and that's without even talking about the suspension differences.

·
Registered
1,353 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Wow!

I'm thinking you need a full downhill monster the way you trash bikes. Maybe a Glory is what you should be riding.

·
Registered
383 Posts
Still on the VT

Just replaced the fork with a RS Revelation U-turn coil. Replaced the wheelset a few months ago with a Cane Creek Terros Disc set that I found on super sale. Shock was rebuild last year. The bike a way more capable than I will ever be so I do not see changing any time soon.

·
Motion activated
3,252 Posts
no one in particular said:
My trash'd VT.

My trash'd Reign.

The VT was a right nice bicycle. I was a huge fan of the VT for the 2 years that I rode it. It wasn't until I started riding the Reign and later put a good 160mm fork on it (Wotan), that I decided that I enjoy a fairly slack geometry for even tight northeast singletrack. So I don't think I'd like the VT now, and that's without even talking about the suspension differences.
Thanks for posting up those pics. First cracked Reign I've seen... did Giant take care of you?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Still riding mine, but I'll have to look for a new bearing set.
I'm sensing a small fatigue in the frame as I'm riding the bike harder than before.
It's not a show stopper, probably just aluminum fatigue.

After coming back from Montreal Bike Trade Show, I didn't see anything that would make me wanna change my VT. Although new suspension technology is sure tempting, I was specifically looking for the Giant Trance 1 or the X1.
So I'm still debating whether if I should keep my VT and do some maintenance (which includes a new fork) or make the move to the Trance.

Nevertheless, I love my VT, it looks good, climbs great and handles quite a lot of punishment. It was the first XC bike on which I've grown to love the downhill portion of my XC rides.

Keep on riding your VT! :thumbsup:

·
Registered
139 Posts
Those remind me of the META 5.5 bikes, which people rave about.

Funny looking suspension, but must work great!

I don't think you can go wrong with Giant at all. They always seem to have just perfect geometry. Even the crappy $300 Giants ride great!

By far one of the most underated companies.

·
Incredulous bastard
259 Posts
Steve71 said:
Thanks for posting up those pics. First cracked Reign I've seen... did Giant take care of you?
They did. As I meintion'd in the link above, I broke the frame on a Thursday, and I had the new one on the next Tuesday. They ship'd the frame the day after I broke it. The color match'd and everything.

And now I'm trying my best to break the new one. I don't expect to succeed.

·
Registered
29 Posts
My VT

I like the 5" setting more as the SPV works better in this mode.

I also own a 05' Trance 2 which pedals faster than the VT. But the VT seems to be able to take more abuse.

Now, I use the VT as an All Mountain machine and the Trance 2, a cross-country bike.

Both are good bikes. It really depends on how you use them. Trance is more efficient while the VT is more solid.:D

Attachments

·
Registered
2,110 Posts
Still on mine!

..and even though the gearhead in me wants something newer, I hardly ever find it wanting on the trail, performance-wise.

The rear end isnt the stiffest around, but it still handles very well, climbs pretty well (seated) and descends like a beast. I've ridden a pal's SC Heckler and they're quite similar, ride-wise.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts