Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Hard as nails
Joined
·
1,008 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone experienced any issues with the integrated geadset that came stock on the VT's? I have not yet - but an wondering if there is a high-end IS headset available (other than Cane Creek's)? Any iput or concerns are welcome! Thanks :confused:
 

·
"El Whatever"
Joined
·
18,889 Posts
Dirtman said:
Has anyone experienced any issues with the integrated geadset that came stock on the VT's? I have not yet - but an wondering if there is a high-end IS headset available (other than Cane Creek's)? Any iput or concerns are welcome! Thanks :confused:
There's some Chris King stuff but you have to make some modifying/machining. Check out CK site.

I should assume the stuff just works 'cos there are similar threads for NRS's, Warp's, you name it... all of them share the same semi-integrated headset .... and nobody replies. So I'm assuming the stuff just works.
 

·
Derailleurless
Joined
·
9,122 Posts
Yep, it's good. Giant continues using the description "integrated", but to me that implies bearings sitting directly in a machined head tube. The term Warp uses, "semi-integrated" (also "internal"), is more accurate, but I like calling 'em "Zero Stack" just to avoid the confusion.

FSA Orbit ZS, Cane Creek ZS and WTB Innerpeace are the recognizable after-market models currently available. I believe King hasn't yet produced a Perdido which, as Warp points out, will require a very slight oversizing of your head tube ID, which brings about the bigger question: what shop is going to purchase the required bit to perform that operation.

In any case, I haven't had any performance issues with the FSA Zero Stack headsets I've used on my NRS and my Iron Horse Hollowpoint, and would happily buy it again. Added benefits according to some smaller frame makers who post here are they see less head tube ovalization of their ZS frames, and the larger head tube allows for a stronger down tube/HT junction.
 

·
Hard as nails
Joined
·
1,008 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
IS Headset

Warp2003 said:
There's some Chris King stuff but you have to make some modifying/machining. Check out CK site.

I should assume the stuff just works 'cos there are similar threads for NRS's, Warp's, you name it... all of them share the same semi-integrated headset .... and nobody replies. So I'm assuming the stuff just works.
HMMMMM.... That cool! I hope that is the case, I did read an article off of the C King's site just slamming the inegrated headset and why they do not believe they will enter that particular market. Interesting topic, I do not believe that people are on top of the IS system or like you said 'No problems, means no problems... Time will tell. Thanks for your input.
:cool:
 

·
"El Whatever"
Joined
·
18,889 Posts
I had a Giant Warp... and although I ride lightly I didn't feel any weakness at the headset. The cups are reinforced by the headtube and is less exposed to dirt.

Despite the cheap nature of the Warps headset... I hadn't heard of an Warp ovalized, cracked or damaged headset/headtube and I've seen some Warps with double crown forks!!!

I haven't heard complaints of VT's, AC's users and they use long travel forks... In the end, if you don't hear for complains is that something is just working. Y'now "If it ain't break, why fix it??!"
 

·
Hard as nails
Joined
·
1,008 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks! Zero stack, HUH. That is why I could not locate any, looking for the wrong name! My curiousity was stimulated while visiting a LBS after upgrading majority of my components - he stated that the headset was crap and should be replaced eventually. Then the article on C. King's site did not help my negative thoughts about the Zero stack system. Thats is were my journey began on the IS stuff. Thanks
 

·
Derailleurless
Joined
·
9,122 Posts
Dirtman said:
Thanks! Zero stack, HUH. That is why I could not locate any, looking for the wrong name! My curiousity was stimulated while visiting a LBS after upgrading majority of my components - he stated that the headset was crap and should be replaced eventually. Then the article on C. King's site did not help my negative thoughts about the Zero stack system. Thats is were my journey began on the IS stuff. Thanks
Yeah, it's confusing. IS = Integrated = no removeable cups; race machined into the head tube. You look at Cane Creek IS series, and all you see is a couple of cartridge bearings and a top cap. You'll find it on Maverick frames and a lot of road frames. Very similar to Schwinn's old ICBM system.

You'll see on King's paper that a distinction is made a few pages in, describing Zero Stack as "superior to" the integrated standard due to the replaceable cups and a design which is, for all intents, equivalent to a conventional threadless headset.

What brand of headset is on your VT? I thought they were using all FSA stuff?!?
 

·
Combat Wombat
Joined
·
1,785 Posts
The stock cartridge bearings look good.

Dirtman said:
Has anyone experienced any issues with the integrated geadset that came stock on the VT's? I have not yet - but an wondering if there is a high-end IS headset available (other than Cane Creek's)? Any iput or concerns are welcome! Thanks :confused:
When I replaced the Titec stem on my bike with a Thomson, I took a good look at the bearings. Unlike the cartridges in the Cane Creek C-2 on my roadbike, these looked solid and very well sealed. Also, I am pretty sure it is a zero stack type headset. There are races pressed into the headset.

Brian
 
1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Top