Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
seems there are a few VTs here.... certainly popular

holler if you got one!

also, does anyone find the manitou black comp a bit undersprung? i weigh in @ 105kg and find it is too soft...

to get a new spring kit should i need to pay for it or should the bike store i bought it from change it as part of the set-up?

·
Registered
13 Posts
wotzapollohimalaya said:

holler if you got one!

also, does anyone find the manitou black comp a bit undersprung? i weigh in @ 105kg and find it is too soft...

to get a new spring kit should i need to pay for it or should the bike store i bought it from change it as part of the set-up?
hey .
i got myself a vt3 awhile back , and the blacks are way to soft and i was only 88kg when i got the bike so i went to a firmer ride kit , have since lost about 6 kg's and it rides nicely now with the firmer kit , so your 105 kg's is way to much for that spring .
if you already have the bike it's upto you i would say , but if you have not pick the bike up the shop should swap it for you .

·
Get your freak on!
2,696 Posts
wotzapollohimalaya said:

holler if you got one!

Pay for the spring, I doubt you will get the option. And possibly get it installed by the LBS. Maybe ask for free instalation.
I remember reading the review for that bike in AMB and they said at 70kg the fork needed a stiffer spring! I'd possibly getting the heaviest spring.
My friend recently bought a VT2 with some changes second hand from my LBS's owner. Great deal! Had a brand new XTR cassette/chain XT dual controls! And most of the things such as the wheels, seat, tires, stem/bar, grips were all unused(ie brand new!). And got it for like 700bucks off the retail price of a stock VT2.
Heres some pics of it, with my baby.... pics taken like 2 mins ago:) And my dads brand new Subaru Liberty in the back ground. All 2004 models in these pic:)

Attachments

·
Registered
13 Posts
Hey bike_ freak .
thats 3 very nice rides there mate , those new liberty's look sweet .
yeah i have seen the vt3 selling for less than $2000 new so if you shop around you will get a good price .when i ordered mine they told me the spring was perfect for my weight and assured me it would be sweet , but it was not . I now have a new lbs for that reason .

go to manitou website for ride kit specs .

·
Get your freak on!
2,696 Posts
dickyknee said:
Hey bike_ freak .
thats 3 very nice rides there mate , those new liberty's look sweet .
yeah i have seen the vt3 selling for less than $2000 new so if you shop around you will get a good price .when i ordered mine they told me the spring was perfect for my weight and assured me it would be sweet , but it was not . I now have a new lbs for that reason .

go to manitou website for ride kit specs .
Sadly the VT aint mine tho:)

·
Get your freak on!
2,696 Posts
Simon G said:
Hey Mr Bike Freak

I notice you mates swinger shock is mounted upside down from the norm. Is this any better, does it allow for longer seat post travel??
How do you know his is not the normal way up?:)
It wouldn't have anything to do with the seatpost...
I think it just came that way. I believe the 2003 models with the 4way needed the shock upside down to stock the seatpost from hitting the resiever. Now with the 3 way this is not really a problem.
I don't think it makes a difference, I know my friend hasn't changed it.
It is a nice bike though, he got his seapost/seat stolen 2 weeks ago, so he may be getting a thompson soon.

·
Registered
4 Posts
VT Issues

wotzapollohimalaya said:
here's my VT with sdizzle next to me
I have a VT2 with a Black fork (non-std I know) and yes I find it kinda soft when out of the saddle even with the compression cranked up. The Extra hard spring kit may be the go.

As an aside, do you get much flex through the rear end (ie if you hold the rear tyre and seat and push/pull do you get any flex through the rear linkages (even if bolted tight))???

I live / ride in Melbourne by the way (I think you also had a thread doing a census of VT riders!!)

·
Singletrack minded
1,948 Posts
I've just reecently bought a 2nd hand VT3. Off Andy(C) who was on this forum.
I will be changing the tyers and either the springs in the black (I weigh 82kg and find them too soft) or I'll get some Minutes. Would the head angle change with Minutes? They are longer travel and possibly with SPV they will hold 'up' more. (Less sag?)

Hud

·
Ex-Gunslinger
180 Posts
I bought myself a VT3 (04) recently here in Perth. Very nice ride. I'm 80kg and the front does feel soft even for me, I thought I'd ride it for a while before changing too much. I posted a pic of it last night in the Giant forum ('show us your giaint' thread). I'm running some Hookworm tyres for city use and Eggbeaters otherwise its stock for now.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Hud said:
Does anyone know how much the stiffer springs for Manitou Blacks cost? and fitting costs?
Hey hud .
i got the stiffer spring put in mine , i think it was around $60.
well worth it as the stock spring is way to soft , i went with the next spring up ( firm i think ) and it has made a big difference .

·
Ex-Gunslinger
180 Posts
Well so much for leaving my bike alone for a while before changing anything. After having to do a couple of emergency stops going to work I decided to look into this fork spring weight issue. I don't consider myself to be a big guy (80kg/176lbs) but I find even under moderate breaking the fork dives enough to get the hair on my neck standing up at times and I can get it bobbing under firm pedalling while seated and pedalling standing I'd be sea sick in no time. So I went to Manitou web site and downloaded the owners and service manual. They list five spring kits for the black comp fork based on body weight.

X-soft - <130lbs (<59kg)
Soft - 130-150lbs (59-68kg)
Medium - 150-170lbs (68-77kg)
Firm - 170-190lbs (77-86kg)
X-firm - >190lbs (>86kg)

I also did some searching in the fork/shock forum here and found this thread

http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=19565&highlight=manitou+black+spring

While the thread is about the Black Premium fork and not the Comp fork I'm guessing the same would apply to the comp fork given they have only minor differences. So I'm thinking the VT's come setup for a 60-70kg rider? No wonder people are finding them very soft. Late last week I ordered a firm kit from my LBS and they quoted me $50AU, I'll be interested to see how different it feels. And reading the service manual fitting the new spring looks very easy.

·
Registered
301 Posts
Hud said:
Does anyone know how much the stiffer springs for Manitou Blacks cost? and fitting costs?
I've just sent off my Black Platinums off to Manitou Aus (Cramer?) to have a spring change and service. My bike came with the soft spring and I'm after the xtra soft. My Platinum has SPV and I was getting little sag, so I'm also having them check the SPV unit and oil levels as well. Hopefully I'll have it back by the end of the week so I can report on cost then.

Not sure if the shop will cover any of the costs cause I'm supposed to get a year's free service on the bike, but that might only apply to stuff they do in house. If the SPV unit is faulty, I hope they can replace it with a new SPV Evolve unit.

Changing springs should be very easy on the Platinums. 2mm allen key to remove a top cap. Spanner to remove cover. Pull spring out. Put new one in with grease. Re-assemble. However, some early units (including mine) have the spring attached at the bottom, so the lowers need to be removed which involves oil changing. Once a washer is removed, then future spring changes can be done just from the top.

I didn't go that far, so I hope that Manitou do it for me.

Check out the service manuals on the Answer site for instructions for your fork.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Firmer Springs?

Hi folks,

Interesting thread - prompts some questions...
I got my 04 VT3 around 6 months ago - same as yours Wotza', and love it (heaps), but I'm pretty new to this (started MTB riding this year) so have some questions...
- What makes you think the Blacks are too soft - what's the symptoms of this - what's the benefit of firmer springs (I'm around 80kg)???
- One of the reasons I got the VT was the rough terrain around here - corrugated roads, tree roots, rocks etc. Won't a firmer spring result in a rougher ride?

Any comments or clarifications would be appreciated.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.