Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys,
ive posted periodically on here, but not so much lately. i have a few vrc bikes and want a new (modern) bike to supplement the stable. if you were to build a modern bike in a VRC style, what frame would you use? i want it to be a full rigid steel singlespeed with disc brakes. ive owned a number of breezers over the years and am a serious ritchey whore. the top of the list are the breezer lightning, ritchey p29, and salsa el mariachi at the moment. i really like the idea of a 29er. i know some of you will grumble and say this isnt a VRC question, but i dont think the people in any of the other subforums will know what i mean when i say i want a modern bike that will fit in nicely with my vrc stable. thoughts? (i also can't spend a fortune... lets say the absolute most i'd spend on a frame would be $1000, and i'd prefer to spend less, so most of the custom builders are out, though something like a curtlo solo might be attainable.

·
Registered
5,985 Posts
The new Ritchey P-29er frame is right at $1000 and has plenty of retro and classic (mixed with modern) going on.

As you said there are plenty of custom builders that could build a nice classic frame, but for less that $1000 it would be tough.

·
Registered
2,673 Posts
You may want to check out the MonsterCross thread and see if anything there catches your interest.

The problem with "29er" frames is they are pretty much all designed for suspension so you're stuck with a suspension-corrected rigid fork. A monstercross frame will give you more of a retro look and feel, though you may be limited a bit on tire width.

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
You may want to check out the MonsterCross thread and see if anything there catches your interest.

The problem with "29er" frames is they are pretty much all designed for suspension so you're stuck with a suspension-corrected rigid fork. A monstercross frame will give you more of a retro look and feel, though you may be limited a bit on tire width.
i do love the monstercross movement, and have one in the works as we speak, but this project needs to be a fat-tire, wide riser bar-having singlespeed in the more traditional sense. basically, the idea is this will be my new daily rider so i can rest some of my VRCs a little better. this idea came about after i folded the most pristine of my beloved breezer lightnings earlier this year :-(. i need something modern, reliable, and replaceable with as much VRC cred as possible so if/when i dent/scratch/break/whatever it, it will just be a bad day, not like a lost child.

·
artistic...
7,594 Posts
steve potts.. but grab some more money.

·
Registered
5,985 Posts
Also, since you're a Breezer fan, you can get the new Breezer hardtail 29er for $1000: Breezer Bikes - Bike Overview

To me, with the swoopy rear end, it's less classic than the Ritchey 29er, but sill more retro (at least the paint) than some options. And also the Breezer, unlike the Ritchey, does not have sliding dropouts so making it a singlespeed would be less clean.

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Also, since you're a Breezer fan, you can get the new Breezer hardtail 29er for $1000: Breezer Bikes - Bike Overview

To me, with the swoopy rear end, it's less classic than the Ritchey 29er, but sill more retro (at least the paint) than some options. And also the Breezer, unlike the Ritchey, does not have sliding dropouts so making it a singlespeed would be less clean.
thanks. sorry, i should have clarified that the lightning 29er is the lightning version i'm considering. i'm a master of "magic gear" singlespeed conversions, and i'm confident i can singlespeed anything with vertical dropouts. the lightning was my first instinct, actually, as my current daily rider is a rigid 1995 lightning with a magic gear ss conversion. i'm just afraid it might be a little too cute to have matching new and old lightnings. or maybe it would be super badass? probably too cute.

·
Certified Bike Junkie
1,747 Posts
Singular has a couple models that might work for you.

·
Harmonius Wrench
8,254 Posts
How about a OS Bikes Blackbuck? Kinda rare, company owned and bikes designed by Mark Slate of WTB/early Marin mtb fame, and has a unique style. Much like a Breezer. Also- rigid and SS-able.

Here's my Gen I Blackbuck with a Mountain Goat BullMoose bar. The fork is a modified Willits W.O.W fork, but OS has a few choices in standard unicrown forks that'll work too.

Attachments

·
Registered
996 Posts
I built this Rawland Drakkar recently.

I bought it because I love drop bar mtb's and had tried various other monster type framesets but really liked the details of the Rawland which has a great VRC style with biplane fork, lugged frame, and even the little diamond plates on the water bottle braze-ons. The bike can be built as a full 29er mtb, 700C road/CX, or 650B, and either SS or geared. The stainless rear track drop outs have a dragons head cut-out in them which is not VRC, but different to say the least.

Mine is currently built with Phil ti BB and old race face LP forged cranks in a 1x9 set-up. Full 2.35 tire up front is no problem at all, and although I am running a 2.1 in the back right now it will take a 2.35 back there as well. This bike has a tall BB for this sort of bike and so far the single track rides have been aces. The fork has forward facing stainless drop-outs and in odd fashion for a new bike has no lawyer tabs. Needless to say I keep the Q/R pretty tight.

·
Registered
1,052 Posts
Funny how the OP asked for less than 1k and got several higher than 1k answers.
Tom Teasdale (TET Cycles) makes OX Platinum frames with custom geometry for around 900 dollars. I have gotten two bikes from him, one of them I am still riding 9 years later. Custom geometry and features with a 1k frame is totally doable with Tom, he is located out in the Styx and so has no overhead. He's also built steel frames on contract for famous builders over the years.

·
Registered
2,673 Posts
Funny how the OP asked for less than 1k and got several higher than 1k answers.
Tom Teasdale (TET Cycles) makes OX Platinum frames with custom geometry for around 900 dollars. I have gotten two bikes from him, one of them I am still riding 9 years later. Custom geometry and features with a 1k frame is totally doable with Tom, he is located out in the Styx and so has no overhead. He's also built steel frames on contract for famous builders over the years.
That is some nice pricing. I wonder how many frames Tom has built over the years, he's been doing this a looooong time.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts