Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,640 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Got around to searching the attic for my old prints. Here's a few from a race at Otterbein park by Puente Cali. Some pics of JT, Cindy Whitehead's Klein, a random Fisher, and another random Landshark (but what a killer bike.. where is it now?). Probably taken with a Brownie so save any comments on the phto quality!

-Schmitty-

·
defender of bad taste
1,600 Posts
Great pictures! I love bikes covered in rub-downs - no-one does that anymore.

·
Humanoid Lobster
672 Posts
Is that Browning electronic front shifting on the Klein!? Talk about a solution in search of a problem ...!

·
Registered
2,734 Posts
Brakegrime-walls. Great photos! The Landshark is sweet and that Fisher looks like it means business.

·
Humanoid Lobster
672 Posts
yo-Nate-y said:
Brakegrime-walls. Great photos! The Landshark is sweet and that Fisher looks like it means business.
Agreed on all counts! I like the Bullseye cranks on the Landshark. I like Bullseye stuff when it is on other people's bikes. (My bikes ... ehh ... not so much. ;) )

And I have a soft spot for Fishers of that era. I coveted a Montare with color-matched bullmoose bars in a shop window until it was too late and it was gone. At the time I rode a Takara Highlander, and the Fisher was much cooler than my limited means would allow.

Incidentally, that Takara helped from my opinions about carbon bike parts. I snapped enough "graphite" brake levers that my shop got tired of warrantying them and gave me some aloo-min-eeum ones. Same with the MKS Grafight 2000 pedals. I hear they make plastic parts stronger now ... but I remain suspicious. :skep:

·
Humanoid Lobster
672 Posts
No one has mentioned that sweet satin jacket yet.

It is, as we used to say, "bad". (Example: "Dude, that's a bad jacket!" - See it still works!) The look would be completed by the handle of a big black Goody comb sticking out of the hombre's back pocket.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Thanks for the memories..

I started mountain biking in 89' when I lived around the corner from the park. Raced there several times in the early 90's on my 91' Zaskar. The course was super technical both ways, up and down. It was a good idea not to pre-ride the course, most likely you would crash, hurt yourself and bike. Rumor was Tomac complained about the downhill singletrack section and never went back. I saw Tinker hike the section a few times. I still ride the park today, but the downhill singletrack is long forgotten. Just last week, another local veteran racer was telling his Otterbein war stories at the LBS with me. Now all the young guys want to try the killer downhill singletrack section. Maybe we should make them ride VRC bikes? That will teach them.

·
Registered
1,640 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
88 is a good bet. Puente is b/t LA and SD.. there's a nice (used to be?) range of hills that run prarallel and in b/t the mtns and ocean.. very nice. Puente is on the San Gabriel (East) side. Brea, La Habra, etc are to the West. It was fairly wild given it's location back when I grew up there. I know much of the hills south of Fullerton Rd are totally gone now. Used top be my 'backyard' as a kid. Hop on the bike and ride through the old oil wells, Nike misssile silos, and long horn herds.

I remember that steep dh trail.. surprised the so cal dh set hasn't taken that place over. Fun riding.

-Schmitty-

1 - 12 of 12 Posts