Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got a private post asking about the setup & weight of my VPX. Here is an exact list of what is one the bike (which is currently about 36.1 pounds):

Medium VPX with Fox DHX 5.0. (Weight + seat clamp was 10.1)
05 Sherman Breakout Plus w/heavy spring
XTR Cranks (Old school octalink 9 speed)
XTR BB
Wellgo Mag flat pedals
Kooka Bash guard
36/24 Rings (Cheap & a bit heavy, wanted the weird spread)
SRAM chain (not the high end one)
SRAM 11-34 Cassette
XTR (Old school) rear deraileur
XT (New) front deraileur
Chris King rear hub laced to Sun Singletrack (32 hole, dunno spokes)
Sun-Ringle 20mm front hub laced to Sun Singletrack (32 hole, dunno spokes)
Kenda Kenetics 2.35 folding bead tires (these don't seem like bricks, but they ain't light)
IRC 2.5 tubes
Hayes Mag Hydro brakes (really ghetto mix&match, some of it really old)
6in rear rotor/8in front rotor
Thompson post
Flite Max split saddle
Race Face Diablous stem (50mm)
Easton Monkey Lite Carbon riser bar
XTR shifters
ODI Lock-on Ouray grips

Not the lightest possible build, but other than tires I probably won't change much. I have a Ti 500lb spring on the way (tried a 400, 550 and 500) which should get me in the 35 pound range.

My last bike was a Banshee Chaparral with a Z150 and was about 2-3 pounds heavier (same basic build, Romic Shock) so this thing is 7.75/6.7" versus my 6"/6" bike.

-f00d

·
rain rain go away...
1,195 Posts
food,

your titanium 500 lb spring... that's for the DHX right? what did the bike came with when u got it? did u have a choice?

i'm 130 lbs w/o my gear... i have a feeling that i may need a different spring. thought myb i could trade or buy some of your springs if i need. :D

i'm dying to have my small frame. :( whistler is opening soon. intense is killing me.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
peachy-B said:
food,

your titanium 500 lb spring... that's for the DHX right? what did the bike came with when u got it? did u have a choice?

i'm 130 lbs w/o my gear... i have a feeling that i may need a different spring. thought myb i could trade or buy some of your springs if i need. :D

i'm dying to have my small frame. :( whistler is opening soon. intense is killing me.
It came with a 400, which seemed way too light. The 500 still seems a bit stiff, but I'm 220 with gear on. So the 400 might be okay or a bit heavy for you. The 550 was insane, I got like 1cm of sag...

-f00d

·
Bike Hoor
675 Posts
I have a few questions....

Are you running 135mm spacing? If so, did you have any chainline problems (spindle length) or front derailleur problems? I am assuming the XT is a top swing derailleur, yes?

Rear brake cable routing.... how did you do it?

Does anyone know if the DHX will accept Progressive or Manitou springs?

Sorry to be a pain, I am getting ready to build, looking for a little info. Esquire went the 150mm route.

·
rain rain go away...
1,195 Posts
no. esquire did not go 150. he tried but did not like the chainline. he's on 135mm and will be selling his 150mm from his other posting. 150 as posted before is not recommended on dual rings. if using single then u can go 150.

food,

so u did not have choice on the DHX's spring then? they just came w/ the #400. hopefully less when they mount it on a small... smaller = less weight.

·
urbantrailridingroadie
502 Posts
thanks for the info

Food, thanks for the info on the set-up and weight. I'm saving it so I can compare to others when making my final set-up decisions.

tep

·
Registered
441 Posts
Mine is:
Trail mode = "Nokian NBX" skinwall trailtyres - 17,05kg=37.5lbs
DH Mode = "Nokian Gazzaloddi G" DH-tyres - Estimated 18kg =39.7lbs

I think I could easily shave a few pounds, but the way I ride (fast/no skills ;) ) I think I am better of with heavier/stronger components.

Spec:
Frame: Uzzi VPX with 5th Element Steel Coil
Fork: Sherman Breakout Plus
Stem: SIC Livin Large 1.5/OS
Handlebar: Protaper OS
Grips: Lizard Skin
Headlock: Woodman 1,5
Aheadset:Cane Creek
Brakes: Hope Mono M4
Seattube: Syncros Derived
Seat: Planet-X X-Uranus Pin-Up
Crankset: Middleburn RM7/E-13SRS
Pedals: DMR V8
BB: FSA Platinium Pro
Chain: SRAM PC-69
Derailleur: SRAM X9
Wheel: Hope Bulp Hubs/DT Spokes/Mavic Singletrack Rims
Tyres: Nokian NBX Skinwall/Nokian Gazza G/Maxxis Highroller + Nokian MTB/DH tubes dependin on the terrain/riding

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.