Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
One of those would be nice wouldn't it? The only reports I've seen in here involve tiddly tech bits and alignment discussions. Don't you guys in this forum "Ride?"

;)

·
Registered
73 Posts
VPX = Best Bike Ever

Here is a repost of what I put up earlier...since then I've done a few more rides and I am just in heaven aboard this bike. I just did Dry Creek to Bobsled yesterday which is a long-assed road climb, followed by a single-track dirt climb with some steeps concluded with a bombing run down a dried (or not so dried creek bed) with banked turns. I can't think of a bike I've had more fun on, it simply defies the imagination pedalling something so responsive that decends so full-on.

Here is my prior review:

In 17 years of riding (maybe 18) it is by far and above the best bike I've ever ridden. I've probably had 10 different high end bikes now, and nothing compares.

I've done 2 more "hardcore" XC rides w/extended climbs and it pedalled flawlessly.

I spent a day at Bootleg Canyon, and it was the bomb on technical downhills.

I spent two days at Gooseberry Mesa doing XC and some "light" freeriding (4-5ft drops, rollin's etc.) and it was a dream.

I have done one day of urban, but that was before I got heavier fork springs....so I didn't abuse it.

I think the best way to describe it is this: it pedals like my old 4.5 inch FSR bike, but absorbs stuff as well as my 9" Armageddon. It feels really responsive on climbs, and the ride is vritually silent: no ugly noises dropping to flat, no chain noise on the bumps, it just feels really solid and natural. The geometry is easy to manual, and handles more like a well behaved trailbike rather than an unwieldy freeride rig.

I have to give mad props on the Breakout+, I was a Manitou doubter (maybe even a hater...) and it feels really smooth and pedals better than you'd ever expect. Not quite as pliush as a Super T (or 888 for that matter), but it feels like a solid, big travel fork. I'm running the SPV at the lowest setting, and the ramp-up on the compression just a bit in. It is the perfect fork for the stuff I'm riding, and hasn't bottomed yet (my old Z150 bottomed if you looked at it sideways...)

-f00d

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.