Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
556 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok another which one thread. I'm only interested in these two types. If you have ridden both please tell me which type you prefer.

I am sort of comparing a '06-,07 Norco Six 1 to a Reign X. Maybe even a Reign1 with a longer travel fork on it. I'm not comparing components, just overall frame performance and feel/comfort.

As a side note I have ridden my friends AC and I find it has a distinct feel as if you are riding IN the bike which I like. The Norco Six Two I have feels more like you are riding ON the bike

·
Trophy Husband
3,011 Posts
The Norco is a horst link bike...not a VPP. VPS is some Norco specific moniker that has nothing to do with suspension design.

That being said, the Six is an excellent all around performer...a little on the heavy side, but bullet proof. The Reign is also a very nice all around-er...not as burly as the Six.

Both suspension design work very well. Both are great bikes for the money. You'd be happy with either. Try and test ride them.

·
Registered
556 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
geolover said:
The Norco is a horst link bike...not a VPP. VPS is some Norco specific moniker that has nothing to do with suspension design.

That being said, the Six is an excellent all around performer...a little on the heavy side, but bullet proof. The Reign is also a very nice all around-er...not as burly as the Six.

Both suspension design work very well. Both are great bikes for the money. You'd be happy with either. Try and test ride them.
VPS-Norco Horst link design is what I meant, not VPP.

·
Just roll it......
7,621 Posts
geolover said:
Agree with Geo on this, but the Six has been lightened up a bit last year. In earlier versions, it was a bit more FR'ish side and now it's more of the AM side.

EB

·
Registered
1 Posts
'ello. I've just built a medium six from scratch and for what I paid for the frame (less than half the price of an SX trail, IH 6point or a Giant Reign X in the UK) I'm delighted with it after a quick blast around the local trails. For what it's worth, frame weights 9.2lbs with shock. 37.5-38lbs built up with cr-mo cranks, DH/FR wheels and 05 Marz 66. (6'1 on a medium and 225lbs)

With the forks in long setting (waaaay long) and too soft a spring on the back it still pedals as well as than the competition I've tried except for the old XC Reign, though I do have a 'mashy' style. Haven't even touched the Boost Valve on the DHX yet. When I get it tuned It should be great. Downhill is fast and fun. A mite sketchy on switchbacks with the long fork, but again, that's setup.

Downsides are the interrupted seat tube (even shorter than the SX) quite high BB (14.5 static, if that bugs you) and the fact that it's realy a down bike that goes up - if I was more into getting up as fast (relatively speaking) as I get down and a few lbs lighter I'd say go Reign X. If I wanted a shorter top tube, a lb or two less and the bling I'd go SX. For having a laugh on and banging down stuff, though, I've got a bargain and saved enough cash to hit the Alps.

This is all first impressions, but test it if you can. Not much hype, not a flavour of the month bike, but good for riding and a belter if you can pick one up cheap. Bit dubious about the fork on the stock models though...

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.