Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking for an all-mountain enduro type bike in the next few months. I have a Norco fluid that works but I always thought the rear shock just couldn't deal with my size. I am 6'1" and 225 lbs.
This time I am going for a burlier bike. I am leaning toward a Santa Cruz TB Lt, or Bronson or Norco Sight or Range.

My question is the VPP or DW link better for a bigger rider? I have never ridden on a VPP suspension before, but intend to demo some soon. Just thought there may be a general consensus on one or the other for a bigger person.

I live near Santa Cruz and the terrain here is a mix of dirt, rock, and sand rather than a really hard pack rocky terrain. Any input would help.

·
Registered
50 Posts
I am 6'3" 245 on an XL Tallboy LTc. It's a fantastic bike. Sucker flows over everything. I ride everthing from slickrock to sand to shale on it and have no issues. The bike feels very balanced and efficient.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks. I love that SC bikes. I guess I'm looking for more of a comparison between the two linkages, specifically if one is better than the other for big guys.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
367 Posts
You know it's really up to personal preference. Both have their fans and theories on why one is better than the other. And often even then those differences are likely to be more affected by set-up and riding style then one design is actually better than the other.

Go ride a TallBoyLT and a Ripley. I rode the Bronson not sure big travel is great for big guys and 29" wheels just roll a lot better then 27.5" do for a heavier rider.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Im 6-3 260, I got a XXL Pivot Mach 429 with a Rohloff and pintle chain, it hasnt broken anything other than Me in 4 years of riding. and the DW link doesnt pedal bob like other models.

·
Registered
559 Posts
Last fall I was looking for a replacement for my stolen Heckler. I rode several Santa Cruz VPP bikes, Specialized FSR and Giant Maestro bikes (couldn't find a DW bike) I am 6'0 240 with gear. Overall I like all three designs! For me it was a tough choice between the Tallboy LT and Trance X 29er. I ended up getting the Trance X0 29er due to the better components for the same price compared to the Tallboy. The geometry of both are nearly identical but like the "active" feel of the Maestro while pedaling and breaking without Bob..... Really any of them will be fine for a Clyde, just comes down to personal preference and for me better components for less money.

Sent from my VS980 4G using Tapatalk

·
Registered
81 Posts
I have ridden both and prefer the DW link. DW link is more efficient with no need to use the pro-pedal switch unless you really want to. VPP is also nice but needed the pro pedal switch more. I also experienced a bit of brake jack with the VPP. After many demos, I believe these two linkages are best with the Yeti linkage a close second. I loved the Tallboy LTC but went with a XXL Turner Sultan due to stiffer rear end, a bit more slack in front for all mountain stuff as well as the DW Link. I'm 6' 4" 220 lbs.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts