Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Last night I anti-seized my VP FRee following the directions in the sticky. Easy as cake no surprises.
This evening I started to re-antiseize my Nomad (it is a mid 07 frame with 1.5 head tube) (the previous owner had done it b4 I purchased it). The lower linkage pivot and axel, furthest to the rear of the bike went without a hitch.
The pivot closest to the BB is of a different design. There is a 'free' bolt on each side that comes out. I tried using the punch after taking out the bolts. I was afraid to strike the punch any harder, and yet the axel did not move.
After looking at the SC website, I believe they recomended putting one of the bolts in a little, putting the hex wrench back in and striking that with the hammer.
did I understand this correctly?
When will I know when I'm using to much force?

Thanks!

·
Au'Right!
395 Posts
You've got a little gauling it sounds like. Use the same bolts or for more piece of mind go to ACE and get longer bolts that will grab more thread and be sufficiently long enough to help drive it out. Also start soaking it with PB blaster or some other lubricant/bolt remover. You'll be fine as far as the force, just don't hit your frame :) You'll also get a funky smell of the aluminium ionizing (I love that smell,) when the bolt comes free.

·
Au'Right!
395 Posts
oh yeah and I meant when the pivot bolt comes free. Also Using the dummy bolt is nice 'cause wacking your bolts can squish the heads making removing annoying. And go berserk with the anti-sieze.

·
abnormally aspirated
545 Posts
yeah, you probably have serious galling on the pivot axle... I've been amazed at how hard I've had to hit my bolts in the past.

once I had to have a machine shop press out an axle and bearing with a 2.5 ton press... the frame survived...

but as others have posted, use penetrating oil, hit the hell out of a bolt threaded well into it. I start with a dead-blow shot filled hammer first and move on to bigger, heavier, metal...ier hammers as needed.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I got the placement of the axle descriptions above backwards. It was the one to the rear of the bike that was different.
Okay all went down well. I just finished my second Vpp antiseize overhaul. I thank all of you for your help.
there was barely any antiseize left on the axles when I first pulled them. I hope this procedure has gotten rid of the creak that recently developed. The proof will be in tomorrow's ride.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.