Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an Intense 6.6 that I'm considering switching to either a Van R or DHX 5.0 coil. The bike currently has a Swinger 4X. My understanding is that a VPP frame does not require ProPedal.

If ProPedal is not needed are there benefits of using the DHX vs the Van? Any experience with one over the other?

I posted a similar question in the Intense forum with little luck.

Any input is appreciated. Thanks.

·
Registered
1,689 Posts
Well, the new Fox Van R has propedal, but it is factory set and not adjustable. If I were you I would by the Fox Van R and take the ~200 dollars saved and mail it to PUSH and have it set up for your bike.

·
noMAD man
12,227 Posts
The main advantage of the DHX coil will be the ability to adust some progressivity and bottomout control via the piggyback. And maybe I'm wrong, but the new Fox R piggyback model doesn't have those features, does it? As Madd suggested, you can probably get some excellent damping matching performance from a PUSH to mate that shock to your 6.6 and your riding preferences. I have a PUSH'd older Fox RC coil on a Nomad, and it is very impressive. From most posters on the forums, the DHX coil seems to work really well on a Nomad, and I would expect similar results on your 6.6.

·
carpe mañana
7,309 Posts
By far the largest criticism of the DHX is that the boost valve, which is it's biggest strength, crimps the oil flow to an extent the shock spikes badly at high speeds. It is impossible to tune out without the help of PUSH. The Van does not have the boost valve, and consequently allows for more oil flow. It feels much better on trail than the stock DHX. It can't take the hucks quite like the DHX, because it doesn't have the boost valve, but if majority of your descending involves bombing downhill the Van is a better choice.

With VPP you chain tension keeps the rear end from bobbing, you may want to consider the ROCO as well. It out descends both Fox offerings.

_MK

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.